The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You can't get too comfortable! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I didn't say what the effect was because it hardly seemed important to the general idea of my post, but if you all have this burning desire to know, it was my Egg Bag routine. Also understand that I've been performing the routine as I do it today for well over a year in my regular strolling work and in my parlor shows. It never fails to get great reactions, lots of comedy byplay, etc. As I said she was still having a blast as was everyone else at the table, just that about halfway through the routine she called out the method. It was very odd to say the least.
dominik
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
143 Posts

Profile of dominik
The egg bag is explained in several general, basic books about magic. Maybe she has read one of those when she was younger.

Is there another method of making the egg vanish? If you could let her feel the bag with no egg inside, it would kind of disprove her theory, wouldn't it?
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I doubt she stumbled upon the secrets of the egg bag in an old book she read. The egg bag has not been found in any kids magic book yet . Some people really just see beyond our presentations and are enrapt with figuring out the secret. Also she probably knows Magic is not real and there is an explantion for everything. So since she was not believing it "vanished", she concluded that the egg was still in there some where in the bag .

Brian you are right , we can not believe our audience is "stupid" . This is why our presentations and routining are the most important part of our art.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Odds are she was just guessing. Really how many ways could the egg bag be done? Not to hard to guess. The Egg bag is more fun then it is baffling magic. Think about this. Even as magicians when we see a new effect we can only make an educated guess as to how it works. We could certainly be wrong. I've bought many effects that I was surprised to find out how it works. So even if you know the lady is correct in her guess she is not sure unless you confirm her statement. Dan Fleshman has a great line that I like to use. When they guess correctly simply smile and chuckle and say "Yeah , that would be one way to do it" then continue with your act. The look of confusion and disappointment on their face is priceless.

, Jonathan
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Yes , just as an acot in a play you must remain "in character" and do not confirm nor deny their explanation. just continue on .
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
295 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
To me I love it if this happens to me. NO it does not happen all the time. Like I have been doing the TT for about 6 years now and never have been caght. ONe day I had a guy catch me . In my head I was down on myself at first but it did two things for me. One it kept me humble whitch I think we all should be at sometime. Two it made me rethink the effet I did with it and never again has he caught me. So if it happens to you do not let it beat you up . Be humble and work on your art more.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 14:48, kammagic wrote:
Odds are she was just guessing. Really how many ways could the egg bag be done? Not to hard to guess. The Egg bag is more fun then it is baffling magic.

It may be easy to guess a method, with a simple handling/presentation of the bag, but I've seen DeCamps do the Egg Bag several times now, and his handling really seems to eliminate all possibilty that the egg is in fact inside the bag. I think there are ways to make it more magical than puzzling.

Quote:
On 2007-07-11 14:48, kammagic wrote:
Dan Fleshman has a great line that I like to use. When they guess correctly simply smile and chuckle and say "Yeah , that would be one way to do it" then continue with your act.

I have had a lot of situations where someone guessed the method. Whether they were right or wrong (most of the time they are wrong), I use a similiar line to this. I say "yeah, that woulda been a much easier way to do it...I kinda wish I thought of that earlier". Lines like these show great confidence and an ability to carry on in the face of a potential curveball thrown at you.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 17:21, Danny Diamond wrote:
It may be easy to guess a method, with a simple handling/presentation of the bag, but I've seen DeCamps do the Egg Bag several times now, and his handling really seems to eliminate all possibilty that the egg is in fact inside the bag. I think there are ways to make it more magical than puzzling.

How well you handle the egg bag does not effect wether someone is going to take a guess at how it works. If you know that you did everything correctly and someone guesses how it works don't beat yourself up. Many people feel not knowing how something works means they are stupid. So to keep from looking stupid they will make a bold statement showing everyone that they know how it works. If someone truly knew how your trick worked odds are they are going to respect you and not make a statement like that durring your show. I have had people come up to me after a show and politely tell me that because of the lighting where they were sitting they could see the thread. I laugh and thank them for the info and for being discreet.

, Jonathan
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
This may shock you, but your spectators CAN be intelligent - and most of the times they are.

Nelms had really good chapter on conviction and how to try to eliminate all possible explanations by first identifying the effect, method and other possible methods - but then again, his whole book is filled with solid theories.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 18:51, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 17:21, Danny Diamond wrote:

How well you handle the egg bag does not effect wether someone is going to take a guess at how it works. If you know that you did everything correctly and someone guesses how it works don't beat yourself up.

I am not trying to say that Brian did something wrong and that was the reason for the guess. I was just mentioning DeCamps' handling, because I thought there were certainly some ways of handling the bag, that do much to cancel out the potential for guesses. If someone placed the egg in and turned the bag upside-down to show it empty - and then concluded by saying "the egg is gone!" - then I think a guess as to the method would be much easier to come up with, than if the magician apparently squeezd, twisted, and allowed the spectator to touch every square inch of the bag after the vanish.

But like I said, I didn't mean to fault Brian for this. It will happen to the best of us. But just as it is beneficial to know multiple controls, forces and coin vanishes, to throw off a spectator "in the know" or who may just be guessing right - I think it's good to make sure you are handling the bag in the absolute most convincing manner as well.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
He said he has been performing this effect for years and now someone calls him on it. I'm saying it's a fluke and don't worry about it. If you get several people calling you on something eveytime you perform the effect then you need to do some damage control on your routine and figure out what you are doing wrong. But in this case don't worry about it. If you have been doing this for years without a problem then you are doing a fantastic job.

Someone calling out something out of the blue means nothing. Several people is a different story.

, Jonathan
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 23:41, kammagic wrote:
He said he has been performing this effect for years . . . .

If you have been doing this for years without a problem then you are doing a fantastic job.

Actually, he said he'd been performing if for "well over a year", which sounds like it's less than two years.

I'm not disputing your analysis, only your premise.
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
I teach at an elementary and the kids ask me to do tricks. When I do a trick for the classes. I have a few wise guys that come up and tell me how I did it. They come up with some really funny answers. One day, I had a kid come up and told me how I did it and he was right, I just look at him and said try again. After the class I started thinking what did I show???

The next day, the same boy came up to me and said ok, how did you do that trick yesterday. He was just guessing like everyone else and had no clue he was right.

Jerry
Jerry Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 00:18, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 23:41, kammagic wrote:
He said he has been performing this effect for years . . . .

If you have been doing this for years without a problem then you are doing a fantastic job.

Actually, he said he'd been performing if for "well over a year", which sounds like it's less than two years.

I'm not disputing your analysis, only your premise.

All that matters is he has been doing it for an extended period of time with no problems. As Jerry so wisely points out above with the children in the classroom it is just a lucky guess. After your show don't be afraid to pick the brain of the person that called out durring your show. You will be very surprised. I have never found their statements to be anything other then a guess. If you screw up a move or your timing was off you would know it and not be surprised by someone calling you out. But it sounds like here you were surprised by this guys comment. That tells me that you felt you did everything correctly so the odds are this guy just made a lucky guess. Don't sweat it.

, Jonathan
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 01:46, kammagic wrote:
But it sounds like here you were surprised by this guys comment. That tells me that you felt you did everything correctly so the odds are this guy just made a lucky guess. Don't sweat it.

It did take me be surprise. I'm not sweating it anymore, though I appreciate the fact that all of you guys are sweating it for me Smile

I performed the routine as always last night plenty of times to the great reactions that it usually draws. Whether it was a lucky guess or she really did figure it out I'll never know, but hey, you can't fool everyone. I'm really glad this thread has inspired some positive energy.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 02:04, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 01:46, kammagic wrote:
But it sounds like here you were surprised by this guys comment. That tells me that you felt you did everything correctly so the odds are this guy just made a lucky guess. Don't sweat it.

It did take me be surprise. I'm not sweating it anymore, though I appreciate the fact that all of you guys are sweating it for me Smile

I performed the routine as always last night plenty of times to the great reactions that it usually draws. Whether it was a lucky guess or she really did figure it out I'll never know, but hey, you can't fool everyone. I'm really glad this thread has inspired some positive energy.

They say "You are only as good as your last performance." So it sounds like you're back on track. Smile
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
Children are looking for a reaction from you, that is a big part of their world.

I understand how it can make you start to question a trick. Good job, on getting back on the horse or trick.

Jerry
Jerry Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You can't get too comfortable! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL