The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Yamaha stagepas 300 or the mackie srm150 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Perhaps this is apple and oranges- I'm very green when it comes to sound system.

my venues range from 20-75 people for the most part. Which of the two would be ideal (yamaha stagepas 300 or the mackie srm150)? I've also heard good things about the portable PASO unit, but have never seen it in action.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

john
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
John:

My best suggestion is to go to a musical instrument store and take a first hand look at the equipment.

Chris
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I've been to the music store, but they don't carry the small portable systems. I have seen the Yamaha system:

www.yamaha stagepas 300 or the mackie srm150

The yamaha looks good, but am wondering what the comparison is like. For portablility you can't beat the Mackie 150 or the Mipro. But is the quality there too??

J.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
Fender Passport 150 PD Plus is great !
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
John -- If you can list what features are important to you, I'm sure other Café' members will provide their recommendations.

For example, do you need wireless mike capability? Do you need cordless (battery) capability? Do you perform inside or outside? Is portability an issue (i.e., how much weight are you willing to lug around)? Do you use music with your show? Do you need a mixer or an equalizer? Do you need one speaker or two? You get the idea.

And since you mentioned the PASO, from my experience, I would say it is a good, small, very portable (12 lbs.) unit that is excellent for people who need cordless and wireless operation, and have an audience of no more than 50 people. This is a 30-watt unit which does an acceptable job of sound reinforcement. It will run for about 4-5 hours on a full charge, but can be modified to hold a larger battery which will provide a longer running time. There is also a 100-watt PASO unit, but I have no experience with that one.

But if you will ALWAYS have access to AC, I think there are other better options than the PASO, because the rechargeable battery feature adds about $100 in cost and perhaps 5 pounds in weight. Why pay for something you don't need and won't use?

I'm sure that if you explain what features are important to you, you'll get good specific advice. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
2 speakers will always sound better than one.

but for a venue that small you could even consider a crate limo or carvin stagemate.

or the crate taxi for that matter.

I bought a crate taxi for my small outdoor (busking type) shows and the size is wonderful and it's all battery. And CHEAP. $129.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Yamaha stagepas 300 or the mackie srm150 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL