The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Negative connotations of moonlighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
This is a question for you part-time performers:

I guess you could call what we do "moonlighting." Now moonlighting has a rather negative connotation in our society--at least among some employers. The assumption seems to be that the employee is not 100% commited to his primary occupation, or that his outside income earning might interfere with his normal working hours. Perhaps he will arrive at work tired out? Or his mind will be on his sideline when he should be focused on his primary occupation? Another obstacle is that employers often look for someone who is frequently able to work overtime, something that may not be possible for a moonlighter.

Whatever the reason for this negative attitude, I know it sometimes exists. How do you handle this at your day job? Do you try to hide the fact that you are earning an outside income? This is becoming more and more difficult in the age of the Internet and the fact that magicians frequently market themselves with a website.

Or are you proud of the fact that you don't depend on your sole livelihood from your day job--that this somehow gives you added leverage with your employer?

Some magicians may be embarrassed about mentioning their magic--maybe they perform at kiddie parties while they are applying for a day job in the corporate market.

Another question is how do you handle this when you are interviewing for a new day job? Do you mention this in the interview, or do you try to keep it hush-hush and hope the interviewer won't find out about it? Do you think it makes you look less serious or focused as a candidate in the job interview--especially if you are applying for a job in the corporate market?

I can think of one advantage in mentioning it. If at any point in your life you depended on magic for your income, you will have a gap in your employment record unless you point out that you did magic at certain points in your career.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Timm
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
56 Posts

Profile of Timm
I don't believe there's any negative conotation at all. I was an air traffic controller and worked corporate gigs, had two restaurants and worked at Malone's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with earning an income at a "hobby". Why I say hobby is because almost everybody has a hobby or an interest which is COMPLETELY outside of their job/profession. The fact that I got paid and was in demand for my "hobby" was quite impressive to my co-workers.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
I was a commission salesman for over 3 years (food distribution) and I kept it quiet that I was performer, however word did get out and management found out. In my situation it was not good as they (managers) wanted you to think and breathe your job 7/24. I thought that as long you made your quota and kept your customers happy, got new accounts, that was enough and if I had a pocket of time I could work on my magic. The company I worked for would not even let me perform for our company BBQs or Christmas parties, they did not want their employees to have anything out side of our corporate culture.

That being said I was taken off the sales team and they moved me into a sales desk job, a lot of my co-workers could not believe it and told me I should quit, I didn't, I played my company's game and before long I became really good at my new position and then became a sales trainer. I stayed with the company for another 2 1/2 years and then quit to become a full-time magician, motivational speaker and stay home dad. What I use to make in 12 months with my old job, took me 5 months on my own.

My advice to anyone who feels they may have a conflict of interest with your current job is to have a back-up plan. I didn't and it was only my determination to provide for my family that I was able to take the 'Hit' and not let my ego get in the way.

Everything worked out in the long run and it made me a better person and I make more money on my terms.

Robert.
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I'm retired now, but when I was a cop my "off duty" activities actually advanced my career. My rapport with children through magic made it easier for me gain the trust of children who were victims and reluctant witnesses. My natural sense of humor enhanced by my ability to read an audience made it easy for me to break through to teens and adults. This lead to an investigation slot and eventually my promotions to detective and superintendent.

Since retiring, I've opted to work part-time handling collections and insurance for the orthodontic practice of a close friend. I come and go as my schedule dictates. My retirement benefits and lifelong investments provide a healthy pension, medical and dental coverage. The orthodontic job provides flexibility, pays my monthly bills and is putting my wife through grad school. Magic is the gravy that allows my wife and I to live comfortable lives, travel and pursue new adventures. It took planning, but I can now enjoy my dream of performing magic without the stress and pressure of having to pull every dollar I can to earn a living.

I've always found it easy to meld my passion for magic with my career & family choices. Common sense and clear goals that respect real-world demands are all it takes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have not had a "day job" about 20 years so I am not sure now, but way back when I was a cop, well it was kind of thought of as "cool" anyhow.

I am not quite sure employers are angry about magic jobs. I don't know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I think complete separation is the best choice.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-07-23 13:16, rossmacrae wrote:
I think complete separation is the best choice.

Yes, the day job must not affect the performance job and vice versa.

It is also good to have a back up plan.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
That sounds awesome. Is there somewhere I can read about the process of your transition from slave-to-the-wage to freeman? The thought of a career like that seems worth pursuing.

Quote:
On 2007-07-23 09:13, robertwong wrote:
I was a commission salesman for over 3 years (food distribution) and I kept it quite that I was performer, however word did get out and management found out. In my situation it was not good as they (managers) wanted you to think and breathe your job 7/24. I thought that as long you made your quota and kept your customers happy, got new accounts, that was enough and if I had a pocket of time I could work on my magic. The company I worked for would not even let me perform for our company BBQs or Christmas parties, they did not want their employees to have anything out side of our corporate culture.

That being said I was taken off the sales team and they moved me into a sales desk job, a lot of my co-worker could not believe it and told me I should quit, I didn't, I played my company's game and before long I became really good at my new position and then became a sales trainer. I stayed with the company for another 2 1/2 years and then quite to become a full time magician, motivational speaker and stay home dad. What I use to make in 12 months with my old job, took me 5 months on my own.

My advice to anyone who feels they may have a conflict of interest with your current job is to have a back-up plan. I didn't and it was only my determination to provide for my family I was able to take the 'Hit' and not let my ego get in the way.

Everything worked out in the long run and it made me a better person and I make more money on my terms.

Robert.

robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Please click on the following link, last April I was featured in Alberta Venture Magazine (Alberta's number one business magazine with a circulation over 240 000) on how I use magic as a visual aid to train and entertain in the corporate sector.

http://www.albertaventure.com/abventure_......_id=8472

You also read an article on me in November 2006 issue of Magic Magazine in David Kaye column, "Turn it around."

Cheers,

Robert.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magical:

The prejudice you mention is both reasonable and ancient, dating at least to the 1st C. A.D., as noted here in the New Testament: "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other."

Like you, I have a day job -- I'm a licensed California contractor. (Please see Spielberg's "The Money Pit" for a fuller description of this work). While I'm technically self-employed, this actually means that I have multiple bosses -- and I tell none of them about my Magic.

Previously, when I did mention this unusual moonlighting, some clients/bosses reacted with polite interest, one actually hired me for a gig, some were mildly offended (a very religious client remarked on all the decks of cards I had in my truck -- "do you gamble a lot?" she asked, clearly worried about my credibility as a carpenter).

And that's the bottom line: Credibility. I don't want carpentry clients wondering whether a Magician can really build bookcases, and I don't want Magic clients wondering whether a carpenter can really do sleight of hand. I keep 'em separate.

Leland
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
It has never been a problem for me. In 40 years of service with the State of Wisconsin (six years as Computer Operations Supervisor) I never kept my "moonlighting" a secret.

In fact, for one position I had to have any outside work approved. I filled out the form and it was approved without a problem.

Personally, I could not work for a company that discouraged "hobbies" (Timm hit it on the head with his post) that just happen to pay good money.

I worked stage, restaurants, malls and children's parties. However I never took a gig that interferred with my work hours. I think that is the main concern of most employers.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
With a few rare exceptions, it's nobody's business what you do when you're "off the clock." Some people hike, others skydive, some watch tv, surf the 'net, play sports, go to bars, visit hookers, etc. We choose to do magic. If an employer were to ask anything at all about doing magic, I'd tell him that I'll give an answer when he asks every other employee what they do during their private time.

Then my answer would be, "None of your business."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Negative connotations of moonlighting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL