The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound and light show control computer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
I thought I should start this as its own thread...

Does anyone know of a show control software for a lap top that could handle sound and maybe sound and lights? Sort of like an I-Cue type thing, but more sophisticated. Obviously such things exist for large stage shows, but wondering if there was anyything within the thousand dollar range that would be accessible to a solo performer.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to include better audio and lighting effects in with a one man show via pre-programmed cues and such.

Suggestions?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This is not my expertise, however, when you buy lighting systems there are electronic timing devices for using that lighting.

What I didn't like was once programmed, if something changed or the timing was off the music and lighting were on differnt tracks.

There probably are device controllers for both sound and lighting. Show Tech has a unit that attaches to the Show tech that works both sound and lighting, but I never tried it.

The 110 light controller would do the trick:
http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/accessories.htm

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I have a friend that uses the Show Tech to run his lights and he really likes it.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Wonderbott,

The Solo Performer Show Controller, controls sound and light, is well within the thousand price range and comes complete with a foot controller. In addition, the foot controller also contains a DMX512 controller to control lights and a fog machine. The Solo Performer Show Controller might be what you'll looking for, download it and give a test drive.

Solo Performer Show Controller
http://www.alienapparatus.com/products.html

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
If you want to use your laptop I think "Natural Mystic" has the answer. Great link! I think I might invest in one of these.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
For controlling light you will need a DMX 512 protocol. There are several software options that can be used with a laptop computer: ecue, horizon, stageline,... Nowadays you plug a special blackbox to any USB port and have a DMX 512 port ready for use, older models have used a serial port (RS232) or even the printer port from the computer.

For controlling sound maybe the best choice will be a SMPTE timecode. Several lightboards already have this kind of triggering implemented in the software. In former times MIDI would have been used too.

There are also gadgets triggered by DMX 512 to control sound equipment - by this way you could use any lightboard or laptop with DMX 512. Maybe it is also useful to have a look for some professional CD players that can be triggered by an switch connected to a 6.35 mm jack plug. This will make triggering the music cues much easier.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Wireless Wizadry also has a unit called Ultra Tech. It interfaces with Elation's Compuware Pro. So now you can control Compuware, just like you would your MP3's with Showtech or their MP3Tech.

We have used Compuware for years now and love it. However, doing fair shows we don't take a production person with us on the road. So now we will have UltraTech running Compuware for us. It runs our lights, sound, video & special effects all in one.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound and light show control computer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL