The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » noisy or quiet doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
I purchased Andy Amyx's Doves 101 video with the intention of deciding if doves are for me. Those of you familiar with the video know that it is a basic introduction to doves, nothing is covered in great detail. I found this to be a good thing at this stage.

Since viewing the tape, I've decided that I'm interested. My original plan was to use these solely in a stage act to music. I now intend to use them in closing my stand up talking act with a dove production and a dove split.

I need to know if the doves will keep silent while wearing invisible harnesses and held in pockets either side of my jacket. I will have two audience members with me during most of the act.

Any help would be apreciated.

Another thing is that I'm interested in Marian Chevez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic, is this the right choice or is there a better book on the subject?
David.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ah David, you're talking my language. First, Marian Chavez's encyclopedia is a good choice as are several others. If you're looking for a guide from beginning to end meaning raising, training, performing, then my standard recommendation is the Tony Clark series.

As to the question of keeping your birds quiet, once they are in the pockets, they will not make any noise so that is not a concern. What concerns me is the length of time this sounds like they will be in there. My personal feeling based on experience is that you don't want the birds covered any longer than necessary and definitely not more than 15 minutes. Their body heat, combined with yours makes that pocket very warm and it is hard for them to breathe. Hope this helps.
Where the magic begins
david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
Thank you very much Dave,

I have now decided to use budgies for this particular routine. I am going to purchase the Chavez Encyclopedia and a book on the care and feeding of budgies. However I won't be buying any doves until this routine is ready and I start the real work on my silent act.

The routine in question is under ten minutes. Depending on where I am performing, the birds will probably have to be loaded for a few minutes before I start, so a maximum of fifteen is ample time. When I go for the silent act I want it to be less than five minutes from walk on to walk off so your information is helpful.
David.
delgado
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of delgado
Mostly the doves are very quiet because they are scared.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
delgado. The purpose of training the doves is to get them used to you and once that happens, they are no longer scared. They should be comfortable. The cooing has nothing to do with whether they are scared however. That comes natural for them, especially if you have males and females. In the dark, they settle down and go to sleep and naturally that makes them quiet as well.
Where the magic begins
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi David

I would really think when it comes to budgies they get very scared and stressed. Once you have put them in a harness that isn't built for them they will connect you and the harness with fear and misery and will be scared stiff of you.

I know I thought budgies would be good but they went on a food strike and starved themselves to death so don't do it. You can be in huge trouble with animal welfare people. They think using doves is cruel but they can handle it— they're very versatile but not budgies.

Sorry Man
Luke Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It's best to use female doves. They make less noise in your house. The male sounds like a rooster early in the morning.

A couple of times my male dove made some noise while I was setting up my equipment for a show.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Both males and females coo. There is always the exception however if you keep the birds in a dark place, the cooing usually stops. I was at a show recently and the performer used a macaw. Talk about noise during the performance. Fortunately, he didn't use the bird for a production but rather a prop later in his act.

Anyway, back to doves. In the light, doves do what comes naturally and in the dark, they usually rest and go to sleep.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Someone said that male doves sound like roosters in the morning. My dad is very iffy about all this and with his temper if the dove woke him up every morning I'm afraid he would throw them out the window (well maybe not). If I have them in a storage room with a fridge and freezer will they know when morning hits?
thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DJ: If you only have one or two doves and you have them in a separate rooom with a door, you'll be fine. They aren't that loud. As I've said in other posts, I have 21 birds in my basement and I have yet to lose any sleep. I wouldn't be concerned about noise.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
My kids hated it when my birds were located in a room over theirs. They said they could hear them all night long. They now live in a detached garage, and the family is much happier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » noisy or quiet doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL