The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clocking a Deck, The Epitome Location, Etc. (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Dr. Hans-Christian Solka mentions that he only counts one color. I am not sure the reason for this.

This is an approach taken by quite a few clockers, notably Harry Lorayne in the Epitome Location. It allows for *much* quicker clocking. Typically the color of the card is obtained beforehand, either covertly or quite openly, through a number of strategies.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Dr. Hans-Christian Solka mentions that he only counts one color. I am not sure the reason for this.

This is an approach taken by quite a few clockers, notably Harry Lorayne in the Epitome Location. It allows for *much* quicker clocking. Typically the color of the card is obtained beforehand, either covertly or quite openly, through a number of strategies.

Thanks, I figured that was the case but just wanted to make sure. Also wanted to say thanks for the contribution to the Landmark Cull!
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I just got Gaukelwerk and read through it a couple times. Very cool book!

I suspect the reason the Solka Location focuses on one colour is due to the potential number of ambiguities. Your second pass could be very cumbersome if you didn't know the colour.

Because it's more readily useful for a both-colour clocking as well as a single-colour, I think I'm going to focus on the Mingau Location. When the colour is known I may apply to Mingau the "Wasshuber's Addendum" to Solka. Wasshuber+Mingau seems like a powerful combination when the colour is known.

I'm still toying with the culls. Initially the Hans False Shuffle didn't appeal to me, but playing with it further I think I really like the Barry Ray variation. I guess I've turned this into a mini-review when my intention was to comment on the colour restriction in Solka. For what it's worth, I very much recommend this ebook!
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2021, JonHackl wrote:
I just got Gaukelwerk and read through it a couple times. Very cool book!

I suspect the reason the Solka Location focuses on one colour is due to the potential number of ambiguities. Your second pass could be very cumbersome if you didn't know the colour.

Because it's more readily useful for a both-colour clocking as well as a single-colour, I think I'm going to focus on the Mingau Location. When the colour is known I may apply to Mingau the "Wasshuber's Addendum" to Solka. Wasshuber+Mingau seems like a powerful combination when the colour is known.

I'm still toying with the culls. Initially the Hans False Shuffle didn't appeal to me, but playing with it further I think I really like the Barry Ray variation. I guess I've turned this into a mini-review when my intention was to comment on the colour restriction in Solka. For what it's worth, I very much recommend this ebook!
Thank you very much for the kind words regarding Gaukelwerk.

Found out more here.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=0#1
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Doug Canning came up with a nice way to clock a deck much faster by asking two questions. It's in the latest Steve Beam book. I did a video on my you tube channel if you want to check it out.

https://youtu.be/zlRgMYo_i-w
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2021, magicthree wrote:
It's in the latest Steve Beam book.

Which book is it?
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
It's in his latest SACT book series.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Even if you don't know the colour of the selection, it could still be a useful strategy to clock the colours separately.
Let's say you always count the reds first, then spread through a second time to count the blacks. It will presumably take the same time roughly to count the reds-then-blacks vs counting the whole deck in one pass. But if the selection happens to be red (which should be 50% of the time) then you can halve the counting time. The price you pay is that if the card is black you need to go through the cards another time. So it depends whether your priority is to have the fewest passes through the deck, or to (sometimes) speed up the search.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:
Even if you don't know the colour of the selection, it could still be a useful strategy to clock the colours separately.
Let's say you always count the reds first, then spread through a second time to count the blacks. It will presumably take the same time roughly to count the reds-then-blacks vs counting the whole deck in one pass. But if the selection happens to be red (which should be 50% of the time) then you can halve the counting time. The price you pay is that if the card is black you need to go through the cards another time. So it depends whether your priority is to have the fewest passes through the deck, or to (sometimes) speed up the search.
In my book Gaukelwerk with playing cards, I describe that strategy (Wasshuber’s Suit Addendum).

I also describe a similar but more innovative strategy (Refurbished Method). After the first run, I know whether the missing card is a spot card of a specific suit or a court card of unknown value and suit. Anyway, I have nar¬rowed for the second run the lost card down to a group of 10 or 12 possible cards.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh please!!! I state the removed card after running through the shuffled deck in 23/24 seconds Start reading the good stuff - like The Epitome Location.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2021, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Oh please!!! I state the removed card after running through the shuffled deck in 23/24 seconds Start reading the good stuff - like The Epitome Location.

In 23/24 seconds are you able to do the clocking by counting only the red (or black) cards of a deck of 52 cards?

Thanks!
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Speed is only so important. It's best to use clocking, no matter how fast, when the spectator thinks you're doing something else anyway.

But to compare the speed of different methods, you'd have to factor in the skill of the performer. With his agile mind, Mr. Lorayne could no doubt clock faster than most of us with just about any clocking method! He can probably do the whole deck, not limiting the colours, in 23 seconds with his Epitome Location, but that says at least as much about his giftedness as a performer as it does about the effectiveness of the method.

The question for me is not whether another performer is faster with another method than I am with the method I use. The question for me is whether switching methods will make a difference for me when I use it. Same performer, different method is the relevant test; not different performer, different method.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
This is just an odd phrasing.
In the Laurel and Hardy movie Block-Heads (1938), Stan says:
“How many with seven makes thirteen?”
It sounds funnier than it reads.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clocking a Deck, The Epitome Location, Etc. (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL