The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Mentalism on Jay Sankey's Anytime Anywhere DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I am a huge fan of on the spot Impromptu Mentalism. I've collected a lot of routines and techniques. Now I've just been checking out Jay Sankey's Anytime Anywhere DVD on a couple websites. I see at least two Mentalism Effects on there. Does anyone own this DVD? Have any opinions about those routines? Please share.

~Robert EC
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I have the DVD and didn't get much out of it. However, I should say that I am not much of a Sankey fan. It was the first DVD of his I bought and I found his performance style too annoying.

I can't remember it too well, but if your main focus is mentalism, I don't think it's worth it for the few pieces that are on there. One is a simple Mental Epic variation using that methodology, which you probably know, worked into an impromptu setting in which one of the predictions is the date on a coin.

Can't remember the others, but if you want me to go back and look at the DVD, I will...
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Hey, thanx Bugjack! I was starting to think I wouldn't get any replies.

I know what you mean by his "performance style". Even though I like the guy I still sometimes wish he would just stop talking.

You're reply was really helpful. I'm actually checking it out on eBay so it won't cost me too much. I'm still interested and would love it if you could check the DVD out again to tell me about some of the Mentalism routines. I do close up magic, too. But the Impromptu Mentalism is of interest to me.

Thanx again!
~Robert EC
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
There are several effects with dates on coins e.g. a coin is handed to him behind his back and he announces the correct date.
Also a one-ahead routine etc.
Cycopolos
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Cycopolos
22 Blows is all about mentalism. Very cool DVD with 22 tricks performed and explained.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Oh, Robert, I never responded because after I posted, I went back and realized that I had traded that DVD (here on the Café, actually). I remember the one-ahead trick, but not much else in terms of the mentalism. Although, I know there are one or two more. Sorry.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I have the DVD. There are a few gems on it. There is nothing there to blow the minds of magicians, but for a lay audience, it goes over well. The classic one-ahead, mental epic type effect is described, along with some stuff with coins. Again, good for lay people, which is who impromptu stuff is designed for anyway.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-08-31 19:48, Cycopolos wrote:
22 Blows is all about mentalism. Very cool DVD with 22 tricks performed and explained.

Yeah, 22 Blow To The Head is pretty good mental magic or Psychic Magic as Jay refers them. If you like this, I think you'll also enjoy Boris Pocus by Jay. However, I noticed that this DVD is no longer available on his website.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hey Rob, I'd agree with the others here. I have the DVD and although theres some excellent impromptu effects and tips on it, if its mind magic your after, then this is not the DVD for you.
There's some great impromptu mind magic DVDs out there, and if you always carry a deck, a simple classic force fries people when you "read their mind" and reveal the card. I do this quite regularly and people freak out. It's amazing how something so simple and unbelievably obvious to magicians, freaks the hell out of a layperson.

Chan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Mentalism on Jay Sankey's Anytime Anywhere DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL