The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand Soap and Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LCTDeuce
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of LCTDeuce
Can anyone recommend some good Hand Soap to use. I don't know much about the way my hands effect my cards or my ability to preform sleights but I have had a few people tell me to get some pH neutral soap. Can anyone recommend a brand or give some sort of link? I just started to learn but I have already noticed that my hands tend to be very oily. Thanks and I hope this is the right forum ... I live in America btw
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If they are oily you can use any form of degreaser type soap, dawn dishwashing liquid would work. Alcohol is also good for removing oil from your hands. You didn't say what kind of problem you are having, making the cards soiled, difficultly handling or what? The old timers trick for improving your grip is to use glycerine. Hand lotions like Corn Huskers lotion is largely glycerine and is not oily and gives really good grip, or you can just go get a bottle of glycerine at a drug store and mix it with a bit of water and rub it on your hands before handling cards. This improves grip. If the problem is soiling the cards or saturating them with oil, then try any type of degreaser soap. Liquids other than dawn would be things like Simple Green, or Greased Lightning. Give us a hint.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
LCTDeuce
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of LCTDeuce
Well my hands are really oily and I didn't say this at first cause I feel crazy like its all in my head. But I feel like after a couple of days the deck that I am using starts to handle differently. I figured either that I'm degrading it really fast or that I'm "breaking it in" and shouldn't complain lol. Thanks for you help Smile
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Well, decks are not meant to last forever. Depending on what you do, you can burn a deck pretty fast.

Having clean hands certainly helps. But if your hands are to dry from the soap, your handling will also be impacted.
Cards never lie
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I agree with Andy.
Decks begin 'breaking in' fairly quick.
Personally, I prefer decks that have been used for a few hours of heavy shuffles and a few routines.
interro1
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of interro1
I have oily skin myself. All you have to do is wash your hands thoroughly with warm to hot water, using a good strong soap, on a frequent basis. My entire skin is oily, so if I touch my face, I have to wash my hands before I touch cards. In addition, I live in North Carolina, which is not as muggy as Mississippi but it's darn close. lol

Just be more religious about washing your hands and not touching parts of your body that are oily and you should be fine. Eventually, you'll get to be able to "feel" when your hands are too oily for you to have a good grip on the cards, and will instinctively go wash your hands before picking them up.
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
Carry a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket(if thy aren't too crammed full of other stuff!)

Also, I use a product called Take Hold. It and other similar products are sold at Staples, Office Max, etc to be used by tellers and cashiers for sorting money. Works like a charm.
dobber
Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
Interesting, I hadn't even considered something like Take Hold. For a beginner, would it be better not to use any products as such and get used to doing the sleights without the extra grip? Just seems like then later when you add the product it will be like a revelation rather than the norm Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Some might consider lotions and sticky stuff to be a crutch you may become dependent on.
Personally, I didn't use anything when I started. As I got older, and my hands dryer, I resorted to Corn Husker's Lotion and Sort Quik but only when I really needed to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand Soap and Card Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL