The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » On Mephisto's Shoulder by Paul Brook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
On Mephisto's Shoulder is another string to the bow of already solid work Paul has put out over the last year or so. This is however somewhat different to his other works as it is a collection of mentalism routines which on their own could be considered strong, but with the presentation suggestion made by Paul actually become incredibly powerful as you really let the spectator or volunteer let their imagination run riot.

Around 50 pages are dedicated to 6 routines, each of which are explained sensibly in the order of; What the spectator sees, the methodology, and the subtleties.

Where Paul has always created that something extra is in his subtleties and once again there are some gems here, in fact the premise of placing routines around an atmosphere that most spectators would genuinely find a little uncomfortable is in itself a very beautiful concept for a performance. It must also be said that this manuscript is aimed at the serious performer, not for kids who want to work out how things are done as there is very little in it for them.

The routines include a prediction which the volunteer holds with them for a week, and takes a reasonably popular methodology and moves it up ten notches. I have never attempted to deliver a routine based on my previous knoweldge of the routine as it wasn't organic, and seemed like a trick. Now it is awesome and I tried this out for the first time at a regular event I performed out on Thrusday having set the scene last week. The reactions from everybody was incredible, but the volunteer had to sit down quietly by themseleves for about twenty minutes or so. It was a beautiful thing.

His Fair is Fair switch routine is an existing method taken to a more organic stage, and allows you to end clean which is something I will take advantage of too.

Serial Killer allows you to let a volunteer take a note from there purse and for you to let them know the serial number of it. All whilst the note has stayed in there hands. A fine idea and one which makes use of under utilised methods.

His On Stage Killing takes this routine further and uses more subtleties to create a more impossible looking prediciton.

Telepathic Touch takes another under utilised prop and with subtleties described (although not some are not new) create a nice force.

Theres more too, another routine, an interview with James Brown, and more subtleties.

All in all a very good read with some beatiful ideas for any mentalists out there, and if you're a performer you will get some very beneficial thoughts and routines from this.

If you're interested in it you can go visit Paul's site which is at http://www.paulbrook.co.uk
mindcontroller
View Profile
Regular user
Inside your Head!
175 Posts

Profile of mindcontroller
The Products would be even better if he ever replied to emails, I've emailed him numerous times over the last four weeks, using both email addresses on his webpage, and he's not replied as yet......

We shall see....

My monies waiting Paul!
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
903 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Hi Mind Controller,

I am more than willing to reply to any e-mails sent to me. I have checked my e-mail box and there are no un-replied e-mails.

If you could PM me your details, or PM me your question/query then I will be more than happy to help Smile

Kindest,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
903 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Hi Mind Controller,

I am more than willing to reply to any e-mails sent to me. I have checked my e-mail box and there are no un-replied e-mails.

If you could PM me your details, or PM me your question/query then I will be more than happy to help Smile

Kindest,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
It seems there has been quite a buzz about "On Mephisto's Shoulder" by Paul Brooks. As the name would imply, these routines have a slightly darker tone. They are by no means, bizarre (it the typical sense), but are very serious in nature.

Many have tauted OMS's praises, some have argued against it's merits. I most admit I am favorably predisposed to Paul's work after reading "The Gift" which I thoroughly enjoyed. Upon considering the complaints and praise I realized that the issue regarding this book is all about one's frame. Each person's point of view is valid and some have expressed those opinions gracefully, others have not. Many, like myself, seem to have enjoyed this immensely.

Ironically, I think the frames and premises are exactly what makes "OMS" an excellent contribution. Paul seems to have "a gift" (no pun intended) for understanding context, meaning and plausibility. In my opinion, this is the reason why "OMS" and "The Gift" are both great books.

The Effects:

Dearly Departed:
An eery "personal" prediction or coincidence routine. I like this one alot. As Paul mentions, I am sure this plays extremely stong and has the benefit of being somwhat easy to perform. THIS IS NOT LIGHT, it is a darker routine that should probably be performed one on one for someone significant. This can be done with or without popular gimmicks out there. Many of you who have a very pricey, but classy "gimmick" will immediately see it's perfect application here. Paul's presentation does not require a gimmick of any sort.

Telepathic Touch:
After a dicussion on the power of touch, The performer places a "target" envelope down aside (safe from switches or other manipulation). The performer then asks a paricipant to come and sit down in a chair and then he touches a him on the shoulder and stares into his eyes. Something indiscernable is communicated silently! Then, the performer cuts cards at four cut to cards, directed by the participant. These are placed in four envelopes. Now a second participant is asked to sit down and now the first participant become the performer. He touches her on the shoulder and stares into her eyes. Again, something communicated to her subconscious. Now she decides which envelope shall be used (not what you are thinking). Others are discarded or destroyed! This one card is shown to match the "target". Something beyond normal communication has transpired.

This bears some similarity in theme to Bruce Berstein's "Lazy Man's Prediction", however there is no similarity in method. I really like this idea alot. Obviously, if you are averse to using playing cards this may not be for you. You could use other "cards" but it would involve s fair amount of preparation. What I like most about this routine is it's synergy. The premise lends incredible strength (I would imagine) to the routine. Techinically, this is not hard, but I think performed well this could have tremendous impact, with the given caveat of using playing cards.

Fair is fair switch:
Exactly what is suggests, an extremely fair way to switch billets, bills or other small bits of paper. I was stuck by how it's "manner" will be considered "loose" and free, not at all contrived. I think that is the real value here is the ability to switch by tauting your desire to be fair. Very sneaky!

Your Word, Corinda:
A nice book or word information test. Many of you will be familiar with some of the techniques here. This takes an existing "idea" (Corinda, obviously) and makes it a bit cleaner with some great thinking.

Serial Killer:
This is where all the contention lies. This is an impossible appearing bill divination where you do not switch, glimpse or otherwise do anything sneaky while performing this for someone. This effect is all about one's "FRAME", that is why I mentioned this in the previous statements. We have a set of expectations that will or will not agree with a given effect. Serial Killer is some brilliant lateral thinking, that Paul admits, happened by accident. The result was an extremely powerful revelation of a hidden bill. If one will stop an "re-frame", they can see the beauty that this method provides, a perfect revelation of an "un-touched" bill. Yes, there is a method and yes there are some compromises. Whether the perfect revelation of a bill is worth this effort is up to you! Keep in mind, you have many arrows in your quiver, this is one more! I like it.

On Stage Killing:
As the name implies, this is a stage version of the previous effect, with a different presentational "angle". In this routine, the performer is almost tormented by his "gift" and tries to makes sense of his premonitions. Paul's presentation is very compelling, I am sure.

Thoughts/ Essay:
Paul also has some excellent thoughts reagarding the how and when of performing. Paul's thoughts regarding making your effects memorable are quite well taken. This is something Paul seems to "get". He treats his performance with a serious, but personable "tone". He doesn't mind playing it straight. I like that. Many feel guilty that effects will play too strongly and thus try to interject humor that doesn't really fit. Paul writings (the aforementioned 2 books) all seem to move in a very direct and powerful "mode". These will play very strongly.

All in all, if you can appreciate some new lateral thinking and creativity applied to some standard ideas, you will like OMS. Paul seems to be on quite a roll and I don't think that people will be disappointed unless they are looking for all "impromptu" methods. That's not what these are about. These are performance pieces that require an appropriate setting and context (as stated above). I truly enjoyed reading Paul's fantastic ideas and I am confident that you will too. Highly recommended for the serious performer.

Paul's website is mentioned above.

Sean
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Great review and one I myself fully agree with.

The Serial Killer effect is the best serial number divination ive ever come across, and it's not much work for something that comes across as the real thing.

Dearly Departed is another excellent one, a very strong routine.
Paul's subtleties on this will make this from a strong effect to a completely personal and powerful one, excellent.

The book is worth it just for the psychological aspects and subtleties, but the two routines above are great and both are going in my repetoire.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
This book is amazing!(as is The Gift)

Lads above have reviewed it perfectly so there is little point in me rambling on more so(well ok one or two thoughts)

Dearly Departed would be a fabalous piece one on one for a reporter.Its probadly a concept most here are aware of but I would have never dreamed of using in with a routine like this.Sends chills down the spine!

Fair is fair switch is a great way to switch billets.Im a fan of in the hand switches and just recently started Osterlinds switch using a mic when up on stage(I also recommend switchcraft which is a huge resource on billet switches and is constantly updated!)Anywho Paul teaches a switch which looks very very fair..you never touch the billet(test like conditions)If you don't want to be seen touching the actual billet well then you'll probadly love this.

Your word Corinda reminds me Of stuarts Cumberland's Test of the Tiber (Annemann Piece)Paul's piece is fantastic,its impossible to backtrack for an audience..the piece uses the fair is fair switch and other subtleties which could play like a monster!Seriously excellent!(probadly my favourite routine in the book)

Serial killer Stage : If you perform in comedy clubs,colleges,most theatres this will be ideal!I cannot wait to use it!Is it practical..hell yeah!I love it and the presentation is rather beautiful actually.Straight into my act!

I have a card piece in my act(I rather use just the one in my sett) so I wont be using his Telepathic Touch piece but still nice thinking and interesting premise.

I like his style of writing,his rather witty and everything is well laid out so very easy to understand.Money well spent,I don't write many reviews and usually skeptical when reading them but hand on heart Im very excited with the book and in my opinion a very worth while purchase.I wont tell you that you should get it(I find that's patronizing) but Im very happy that I did.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
How doe this serial number thing compare to Redfords impromptu serial number bit?
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
It is quite different in effect and method. Patrick's is quite good. It uses a intrinsic feature of currency for a different effect, but ultimately reveals the serial number. Patricks allow's the spectator "play" mindreader. Patrick's is best utilized for groups or an actual "stage performance" scenario.

Both are worth investigating. These are very different.

Sean
mindcontroller
View Profile
Regular user
Inside your Head!
175 Posts

Profile of mindcontroller
Houston, we have communication!

And Paul has made me buy all his books, well not yet, but order on its way for Everything!!

MC
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I am sorry I insist on calling "Paul Brook", "Paul BrookS". Apologies Paul.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Just realised I posted a review in a different thread! Should have posted it here, but here is the link instead:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&0
Yes, I am stupid, apologies for any inconvenience.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I really can not believe the Lack of response of this book.

Maybe the purchasers are just sitting on it.

I am not gonna lie, and I know it gets thrown around a lot here on the Café, But I do not want too many getting their hands on this.

I truly have asked Paul to make it OOP.

I have honestly adopted many of these routines, and fit them to me.

I REALLY have gotten use out of EVERYTHING in this book.

You would too.

And you can put your money on that.

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/heknows/oms.htm

Check it out.

If my name was worth anything. I would put it on it.

Believe that.

MD
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » On Mephisto's Shoulder by Paul Brook (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL