The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Magician Directory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Donald, you are comparing apples and hand grenades. The pasta makers don't complain constantly about price shoppers. You would never go to a "pasta" store to find it now would you? They are trying to sell in bulk. They are LOOKING for price shoppers. Not the same thing.

Nobody please compare this with Burger King and McDonalds either for me. Again apples and hand grenades as the demographic and number of business in an area is what decides where they put places. So please not that point it is not the same.

Here is my point in short and I am curious as to how it is wrong, because I can really miss things some times.

IF you have a directory with 10 guys within 100 miles, who offer basically the same thing, you are going to try to get the best price you can. Much like with a car. Now magicians being who and what they are tend to undercut.

So it seems to me that you are providing a very convienent way for someone to do price shopping. IF that is what they are doing then it is easy to do. Is that offset by the number of calls you get in total? I have no idea. It is why I am asking, and not attacking.

I guess by lumping yourself in with 1000s of others it seems to me you are not setting yourself apart from anyone really, and that is not a good tactic in my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Hi Danny,

I think that having your profile in the directory can do no harm to you. If you
are in it, you may well get seen by a client, in that directory and get booked, however, you may not. But if you're not in the directory when a client looks at it, then you're definately not going to get booked.

No one is saying don't advertise anywhere else, I'm just saying try advertising here too, I advertise in every possible place I can ESPECIALLY IF IT'S FREE!!.

Try this for an example. Type into Google 'Magicians West Sussex' (it's a small county in the south uk).

On thr first page at position 5 is The Magician Directory listing 9 entertainers who are willing to perform in that area. 8 of those magicians have websites that are not listed in the first 10 or so pages of Google, so they now have a chance to be seen by a client. Without the directory, they would have only seen one magician on that page, who happens to be one of the most expensive in the UK, but has great Google presence.

The directory is still in it's infancy too. It will eventually get higher and higher rankings. Also West sussex is a county. If someone were to do the same thing for small town, they can see the magicians local to them, who may well be more withing their budget. On that page will be close up magicians, cabaret, children's, escapologists. That client can find the person that they think will match their needs.

Let's face it. By registering, it can only do you good!

Dave Bonsall
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 15:00, Bonz wrote:
Let's face it. By registering, it can only do you good!

Dave Bonsall

Ok... Devils Advocate time... LOL

Hi Dave,

I admit it can do someone a lot of good but "only do good" is not quite right. If someone finds a performers own website first..... and then follows the link back to your site they will then have full access to all of that original performers competition in their area. Hmmmmm??

Good Luck with this venture.

Best,

Tim
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The thing about it, is that sometimes when prospects look in directories, they look for names they recognize (seen their show, heard about them from word of mouth, etc.), and often call them first.

They might not recall enough about you to seek you out specifically, without seeing you listed there. Then things click, and they approach you first.

Food for thought.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
I think because of all the big time work that you do you are a little out of touch with us small time performers. When mom is looking for a kids show magician she generally goes with the easiest one to find, and the smoothest talker on the phone, price is sometimes an issue, but who wants a cheap jerk. If mom is going to invite you into her house you must first pass the sniff test. All the dierctory does is get your phone ringing, you still have to make the sale yourself.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 15:31, Al Angello wrote:
Danny
I think because of the big time work that you do you are a little out of touch with us small time performers. When mom is looking for a kids show magician she generally goes with the easiest one to find, and the smoothest talker on the phone, price is sometimes an issue, but who wants a cheap jerk. If mom is going to invite you into her house you must first pass the sniff test. All the dierctory does is get your phone ringing, you still have to make the sale yourself.

Al, holy crap yes.

Got it game over now I get it. Never mind my objections (seriously not sarcastic).

This why I was not attacking and saying it was bad and not being sarcastic, I KNEW there was an answer I just didn't see and was genuinly curious as to what it was.

I still don't like the idea in general, BUT I can perfectly understand how it works now, which is exactly what it is I was after.

Comedy clubs, colleges, resorts, corporate events in general, would not use this and that is my only market. I was completly in the dark and again it was ignorance on my part.

Al, thank you for getting it through a VERY hard head so I could understand!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dan
Why do people say that you, and I are hard to get along with?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do they say that? I don't know why LOL.

I guess I was looking for answers, and people take that as attacking. This time I went out of my way not to sound mean and it worked. But it was tough!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 16:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do they say that? I don't know why LOL.

They MUST be jealous.

Best,

Tim
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Can you go back and edit your listing at a later time?
Say if things change, or you get some pics?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Quote:
On 2007-08-30 04:49, sirbrad wrote:
Can you go back and edit your listing at a later time?
Say if things change, or you get some pics?

Hi Sirbrad,

You can change it at any time you wish and as many times as you wish. Just drop me an email with the amendments and I'll do it asap.

Unfortunately there is no way they public can edit their own, I don't have the knowledge or time to create something like that.

Dave Bonsall
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I love this directory!

I joined and within a week I had two jobs from it.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Magician Directory (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL