The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Migraine pills (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Anyone know any over the counter pills for migraines?
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
The wife has suffered from migraines for years... We came to the conclusion a long time ago that there is absolutely nothing available OTC to stop a migraine once it's in full effect...

She takes a prescribed drug called Immitrex. She has it both in pills and for those really nasty episodes, injectable form. Sorry I couldn't be of more help or provide you with anything OTC... Migraines are NOT fun!

Lyndel
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Prescription? Agh! Well thanks I'll just have to go along see a doctor for a prescription then. I have bad migraines at times, thanks for your help.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think there is an Excedrin Migraine. (Or possibly Tylenol Migraine)

Can't say how well they work, (knock wood) I haven't had a migraine in years.

My sympathies, I remember lying there trying to find the position where it would hurt least!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I read a paper that recommended brain freeze as the cure. The icy drink hits the soft pallet causing the blood vessels to shrink sending the brain a message that it needs more blood.
Which in turn dilates the network of capillaries and blood vessels that cause migraines.
I told my cousin about this technique, he told me that it worked, but, it works better when he first notices the headache coming on. I'm not telling this to give false hope to sufferer's, but, it did help my cousin.
POOF!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Are you positive they are migraines? 90% of headaches are tension headaches - they come and go just as migraines do.

The absolute best remedy for them is an ice pack on the back of the neck. Second to ice packs, I recommend 'tiger balm', sold at WalMart and GNC ... just a very small dab, massage it into the neck and shoulder muscles. For a really bad headache, I like to rub Absorbine Jr. directly across the scalp.

I don't generally recommend taking any drugs for headaches, not even over the counter. OTC headaches meds can be very dangerous. In all reality, ice will work better and without any side effects (ie: bleeding stomach).

Excedrine Migraine is just regular aspirin with caffeine added. Wippie. A NSAID drug is not going to help a real Migraine - it is a marketing ploy. They get away with it because most people think they have a migraine when they don't, so people think the medicine works on their migraines (which they don't have). Just get an ice pack, much safer.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I was just thinking I should explain the differences in headaches ... a migraine is internal, while a tension headache is external. A migraine is caused because a blood vessel in the brain enlarges causing discomfort ... while a tension headache is caused by the muscles around the scalp constricting causing the discomfort.

Many people think that a recurring headache is a migraine, but that is not necessarily the case. And if you do have a recurring tension headache, I recommend making an appointment with a chiropractor.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Migranes often have little 'eye thingys' attached. The phosphenes on the eye go off and cause a jagged line to light up...I get those but not the 'severe' headaches...my Daughter used to get those Eye thingys just before the bad headache set in. Both are annoying. Eye thingys are a matter of closing the eys and letting the darkeness prevail. When the head hurty thingy is hammering away there is only the guilloteen. Full agreement with Joe Joe on the OTC stuff. Meh. French execution devises are much more effective...not really an option though huh...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Line from British TV series "Blakes 7"

VILLA: I have a shocking pain behind my eyes.

AVON: Have you considered amputation?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
ACCUPUNCTURE!!! Works better than any medicine (prescription or OTC) that I have used for my migraines.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Migraine pills (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL