The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A Quote by the late Jerry Andrus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
"I can fool you because you're a human. You have a wonderful human mind that works no different from my human mind. Usually when we're fooled, the mind hasn't made a mistake. It's come to the wrong conclusion for the right reason." - Jerry Andrus
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I would say that the mind came to the wrong conclusion for the reason that felt right.
Cards never lie
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
He was a very smart and creative guy.

The nervous system and the emergent mind developed mechanisms to survive, and some of those generally work in nature, but fail when presented with certain types of ambiguous, or unusual, information. The waterfall illusion demonstrates this, where you stare at a waterfall for a while, and then look elsewhere. Jerry Andrus took advantage of with his spinning spiral effect, which greatly increases the effect.

Andrus Spiral Illusion

It's also here, and other places.
Counter-Rotating Spirals Illusion

His Parabox illusion takes advantage of visual ambiguity. It's another brilliant idea.

Some of his other visual illusions, notably a person standing in an impossible wood frame, were published in Scientific American years ago. He, like Martin Gardner, was known to both magicians and scientists.

His magic was also terrific.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Jerry was also an incredibly nice guy who kept his wonderful fascination and passion for magic for life.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
Uck, I had no idea he had passed until I read your post. He was so nice and I loved his respect and admiration for the spectator. He created a special bond and he valued them like no other performer I have ever come across. God bless you Mr. Andrus and Rest in Peace. You will be missed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A Quote by the late Jerry Andrus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL