The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Other side of the table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
What is a general guide for how much you should tip a magician in a restaurant? For wait staff you have a guide of 15-20%. For bellhops you have a guide of $1-$2 per bag. What about a magician (or singer for that matter)?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The tipping guides I've seen suggest $2-$3 as the average. $5 if you make a special request (special song, personal attention to guest of honor, etc.) This should vary with the quality of the establishment and the level of enjoyment you and your guests receive from the entertainer. My average tip is $5 with the occasional $10-$20 tip if the guests feel that I've really provided a great time.

I'm paid very well at my restaurants so I don't solicit tips and I politely try to discourage them...but, when offered I graciously accept. I, personally, turn my tip money around to provide gratuities to the managers and staff; A large bag of mixed mini candy bars each time I come in for the wait staff and quarterly family movie & concession passes for the managers. Once a month I'll bring in special little toys or cheap magic tricks for the kids as a surprise treat. I also send a couple of scratch-&-win lottery tickets with each weekly invoice. When I perform at a major event like the Shrine Circus or the state fair I usually negotiate for complimentary admission passes that I can hand out, as well.

All of this increases my popularity among the restaurant staff and managers which has them singing my praises through the week. This seems to increase my popularity with the guests which influences my tips. It's a win-win.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
That post was GOLD!! They don't teach this stuff in any magicians handbook.

Thanks Skip. Smile
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 13:32, SoCalPro wrote:
That post was GOLD!! They don't teach this stuff in any magicians handbook.

Thanks Skip. Smile

I second that! Top notch info! Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Oh boy...another thread on Tips! Ok...I'll bite (like always).

I will usually tip a Magician $20 if they perform for my table. Why? Because I believe in what goes around comes around. I wish more people would tip me $20. Out of 50 tips, I'll get 25 tips that are between $1 and $3, I'll get 10 that are $5, and the rest are between $10 and $50. Just think how much more cash I'd have if I could somehow convert a % of the 25 small tip amounts into the big bucks!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Chris you can visit my restaurant any time!!!

My goal for a night is 5 $20 or 20 $5 which ever comes first.

Average tip is $3-$5 with gusts up to $20. Once I got a $50 tip from a table I didn't even entertain at. They said they like what I did!!! I id feel bad afterwards because I asked the cashier to see the counterfeit pen! It just seemed weird.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
My thoughts on getting good tips are simple. If you do your job well and entertain them, and they thoroughly enjoyed it, then they will feel obligated to tip well (most times).

But then again, I'd never work for tips only. That's why I'm paid by the house, as I'm sure you all are as well. Working for tips only is an insult to all the other working magicians, and degrading to the performer as well. But like I said, these are just my views.

Best.
Steve
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 13:06, Skip Way wrote:
The tipping guides I've seen suggest $2-$3 as the average. $5 if you make a special request (special song, personal attention to guest of honor, etc.) This should vary with the quality of the establishment and the level of enjoyment you and your guests receive from the entertainer. My average tip is $5 with the occasional $10-$20 tip if the guests feel that I've really provided a great time.

I'm paid very well at my restaurants so I don't solicit tips and I politely try to discourage them...but, when offered I graciously accept. I, personally, turn my tip money around to provide gratuities to the managers and staff; A large bag of mixed mini candy bars each time I come in for the wait staff and quarterly family movie & concession passes for the managers. Once a month I'll bring in special little toys or cheap magic tricks for the kids as a surprise treat. I also send a couple of scratch-&-win lottery tickets with each weekly invoice. When I perform at a major event like the Shrine Circus or the state fair I usually negotiate for complimentary admission passes that I can hand out, as well.

All of this increases my popularity among the restaurant staff and managers which has them singing my praises through the week. This seems to increase my popularity with the guests which influences my tips. It's a win-win.

Thanks for the post.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
OK, I'm confused. I assumed that magic-dabra was asking what we as entertainers would tip another magician that performed for us as guests of his restaurant. IF that is so, I have tipped $5.00 to $10.00 in the past for a table side performance.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Personally I took it as a guideline question (you tip waitress this, Bell Hops that)

I was speaking of the reality from a magician's view. Or what I get.

My favorite line is when they are looking in the wallet

"Don't worry you can't over tip me!!" ............. I would say the same thing when I bartended

[this is said in jest and candor.... don't freak out non-tipping magis!!!]
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Mark,

I usually say "the management has a rule...I'm not allowed to take anything less than a 50!" That usually gets a laugh as they hand over the wadded up greese stained $2 from their wallet.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Like Steve, I believe that fishing for tips on a well-paid restaurant gig is just bad form. It ticks off the guests and that ticks off the managers. If one plans to push for tips, take up busking and brush up on your hat lines. In a restaurant, a tip should be guilt-free and voluntary and, frankly, a surprise gift offered in exchange for a really great time. But then...I'm off-topic - Again! Wandering minds, eh!

Fair call, Lou - Back on topic! I'll give a fellow magician exactly what I honestly feel the performance was worth. And no...I don't let on that I, too, am a magician. I simply sit back and enjoy the show. If they provide a mechanical "first I'll do this then I'll do that" type of performance, I'll stick with the guides and hand over a couple of bucks. If it was less than that, the cash stays in my pocket. If he or she blows me away and makes us feel like V.I.P.'s, $20.00 would not be out of the question. Rule of thumb - Impress my magic-jaded and hard-to-entertain wife and the big bucks are yours!

In my opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 23:39, Skip Way wrote:
Like Steve, I believe that fishing for tips on a well-paid restaurant gig is just bad form. It ticks off the guests and that ticks off the managers. If one plans to push for tips, take up busking and brush up on your hat lines. In a restaurant, a tip should be guilt-free and voluntary and, frankly, a surprise gift offered in exchange for a really great time. But then...I'm off-topic - Again! Wandering minds, eh!

Fair call, Lou - Back on topic! I'll give a fellow magician exactly what I honestly feel the performance was worth. And no...I don't let on that I, too, am a magician. I simply sit back and enjoy the show. If they provide a mechanical "first I'll do this then I'll do that" type of performance, I'll stick with the guides and hand over a couple of bucks. If it was less than that, the cash stays in my pocket. If he or she blows me away and makes us feel like V.I.P.'s, $20.00 would not be out of the question. Rule of thumb - Impress my magic-jaded and hard-to-entertain wife and the big bucks are yours!

In my opinion.

Thanks Skip,

Your posts are exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your guidance and honesty and kindness as well. (With 25 post, you can see I'm new here. Thank you for taking your time to give guidance.)

Magic-dabra
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Always welcome, MD! This is why Steve created the Café. Don't forget to thank Lou for refocusing us and keeping my wandering fingers on topic! Smile

SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Skip, question.........

What if a "performer" (and I use this term loosely) comes to your table, does his/her thing and makes a comment or gesture hinting that you tip them? What do you do in that case???? Do you forcefully give them a few bucks??

This is why I am so against doing any type of a suggestion after my performance such as finishing off with their dough on the table etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a really good tipper and don't mind tipping but I hate it when I take my family to a restaurant and the entertainment makes me feel like I have to tip them. If I don't appreciate the feeling, I am SURE my restaurant guests don't like it either. Just like a few on here, I politely decline the first time and if they insist (not taking it at this point would be rude) I gracefully accept it.

What do you do Skip? Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My goal when performing is to do such a bad act that a tip is never even contemplated. That way I avoid it completly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 13:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
My goal when performing is to do such a bad act that a tip is never even contemplated. That way I avoid it completly.

Hmmm..I must have mastered this. I only get between $2.00 and $30.00 (on a good night)per 2 hour shift. Then again, I don't do anything to suggest that I accept tips. In fact, my sign out front even says "Complimentary table side magic".
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I am with Skip, I would give what I feel that performance is worth. If I knew the performer personally it'd be different, depends on the situation (those answers are too big to post). I am generally a really good tipper, Basically I agree with Skip.

If the performer was not good and was basically begging for tips, I would not give one. I don't give it just because someone asks. I also feel that looks horrible at the restaraunt. My goal as a performer to make their night better, and make them want to come back to that restaraunt. Why in the world would they go back to a restaraunt where they knew a magician was going to come up and ask for money? It doesn't make sense, it could even turn people away. That's just my two cents.

Thanks again Skip for you wonderful post.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I like to tip the magician with $100. Then I zip it back into my hand with with a reel. All magicians think this is hilarious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Other side of the table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL