The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Jumbo B'Wave Move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have a Jumbo B'Wave and would like to do an Elmsey like move to show all the backs but I am stuck. Any suggestions? Any directions on resources?
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
What's the problem? Just hold the cards vertical, backs facing audience and do the move.

Gil Scott
TheAstonishingLarry
View Profile
Regular user
I aspire to more than only
183 Posts

Profile of TheAstonishingLarry
I'm not sure the Elmsley Count adds anything to B'Wave ... and it might even detract from the effect. If presented as a bit of mentalism or mental magic, B'Wave is a great trick. Using the Elmsley Count to show that the cards are all face-down before revealing that one has flipped back over gives it a "typical magic trick" feel ... and diminishes the effect (and affect) in my opinion.

Regards,
Larry

PS - I do think you can do the standard Elmsley Count with jumbo cards, however - though I've never actually tried it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Thanks Larry. I think you may hava a point. I really like the trick as a stage effect.

David
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
B'wave as it is originally presented doesn't have an Elmsley Count. As discussed if you do one then you're changing the whole premise of the trick.

- Technique wise - you should be able to do a standard Elmsley count with the big cards, just do it at the fingertips as the original Elmsley count (then called the Ghost count) was published, as opposed to the modern way of doing it in a dealing position.

But yeah, as discussed - don't do it in this routine Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's awkward at first and I agree that the EC doesn't enhance B'Wave, but you can reverse the moves and do the fingertip version *backwards* at eye level. That's pretty much what Gil said a year ago. It confuses the heck out of me because I see the cards from "underneath" but it looks great to the audience and it brings the cards away from your waist and up into view. Watch Harry Anderson's presentation on "Hello Sucker" and other places to see how visually effective this can be.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Yeah, you can do it with Jumbo Cards (many other Jumbo packet tricks use the elmsly) but, as mentioned, with Bwave it only detracts.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Good suggestion. I'll just keep doing it with out the "move".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Jumbo B'Wave Move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL