The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Major Invisible Deck Flaw (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Some people make the performance of this effect much harder than it actually is. It's not a big deal to do "math" (heck, all you have to do is be able to add to 13..if you can't do that, get another job!) for it. Some people have the pairs set up with certain other pairs next to them, certain orders of color...blah, blah. You really should be able to overhand shuffle the pack at any time (namely after the effect) to clearly show it's ungimmicked. Also, the most ridiculous thing to do is, after the effect is over...putting that card back into the deck, face down just like it came out, as the spectator is watching you. If you're a magician, and you're doing that...think about it from THEIR point of view. That would mean that everybody picks the same card. Put it back on the deck, face up just like you would with a regular deck. Duh.

Steve
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 20:23, Stevethomas wrote:
Some people make the performance of this effect much harder than it actually is. It's not a big deal to do "math" (heck, all you have to do is be able to add to 13..if you can't do that, get another job!) for it. Some people have the pairs set up with certain other pairs next to them, certain orders of color...blah, blah. You really should be able to overhand shuffle the pack at any time (namely after the effect) to clearly show it's ungimmicked. Also, the most ridiculous thing to do is, after the effect is over...putting that card back into the deck, face down just like it came out, as the spectator is watching you. If you're a magician, and you're doing that...think about it from THEIR point of view. That would mean that everybody picks the same card. Put it back on the deck, face up just like you would with a regular deck. Duh.

Steve

Absolutely! Smile

And, don't forget to keep spreading after the face down card is revealed to show the rest of the face up deck. A lot of beginners forget to do this.

Robert
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Good points.

As far as replacing the card...just hold a break,place the card face down on top and slip cut it to it's place as you are talking to them.

Rich
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I personally think the end cards of each Invisible Deck should be a Joker. Then there wouldn't be any problems like this.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Tell them you put a card on top of the deck the day before, then open the flap, and slowly slide out the deck, and they will see their card is the first one, then casually spread the rest of the deck...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
I'm in the "Don't Cut The Cards" camp. Why add a move to something that requires absolutely no moves all?

Also, IMO the reversed card isn't technically on top or bottom-it's second from top or bottom.
If it just so happens that it is the top/2nd from top card selected, simply reveal it right away and dramatically show the entire remainder of the deck to be face down. If the selected card is the bottom/2nd from bottom, simply fan through the face down deck until the chosen card is revealed. Let the tension build. I don't see a problem.
Like Coach Boone said in Remember The Titans, "I don't dance unless I hear music."
JMHO, dobber
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 21:49, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
I personally think the end cards of each Invisible Deck should be a Joker. Then there wouldn't be any problems like this.

Whatever turns you on.

As I stated earlier.There is no problem for the spectator.The only problem exists in the performer's mind...who is laden with guilt.

I can imagine you suggesting to the late great Don Alan.."hey,I think you should place a joker face down at both ends". Smile
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2007-09-30 20:31, dobber wrote:

Also, IMO the reversed card isn't technically on top or bottom-it's second from top or bottom.
If it just so happens that it is the top/2nd from top card selected, simply reveal it right away and dramatically show the entire remainder of the deck to be face down.

In reality it's second from top or at the bottom.

How can you "Dramatically show the entire remainder of the deck to be face down"?
This is not possible with an ID/Ultra Mental Deck.

Whith all that said, I think this is a clear case of "Running when nobody is chasing you".

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
Bjorn~I meant to say face up-not face down. Does that meke more sense?
dobber
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
If you use the presentation where you get the spectator to shuffle the invisible cards then after they make their selection ask them to shuffle the cards once more. Now you can state that the face down card could be anywhere in the deck.

Now you at least have a small reason for the card to be at the bottom.
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
You would hand a gaff deck to a participant?

I think this is not good advise
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Just use Osterlind's "Richardwave." That way, you will never have this problem. And moreover, after revealing the card, you can continue using the deck for your other card routines.
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 00:32, cajmagic wrote:
You would hand a gaff deck to a participant?

I think this is not good advise

Hehe no. You misunderstood I didn't mean the Invisible (gaff) deck gets shuffled. I meant I give the spectator an imaginary deck to shuffle. Its a classic handling of the invisible deck.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 08:02, lumberjohn wrote:
Just use Osterlind's "Richardwave." That way, you will never have this problem. And moreover, after revealing the card, you can continue using the deck for your other card routines.

Can you tell me more about Richard's routine?
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 16:15, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:

Better question... is this published? If so where?
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 20:21, misterbill wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 16:15, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:

Better question... is this published? If so where?

What I meant to say.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Like Rich says, you are thinking like a magician and the audience really does not care.

If it bothers you that much, one way to avoid this is to always know which cards are on top and which are on the bottom. You keep the deck in the same order all the time. If it is a card on the bottom or near the top, cut the deck in the beginning before the spread since you are well ahead of the game. When you are done, replace the chosen card and cut to the original position. You could even "reset" right in front of them since they don't know what you are doing.

MR
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Major Invisible Deck Flaw (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL