The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and Soda is Falling Apart! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
My Scotch and Soda half dollar gimmick is becoming so loose where it's literally coming apart in my spectators' hands. Talk about embarassing.

How can I remedy this? What did I do wrong to loosen up the shell so much?

Thanks a lot.
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
It sounds like you shook the set up in a glass to loosen the [ and the insert. I would consider getting a bang ring from Johnson, or Lassen/Schoolcraft of course. The bang ring definitely helps preserve the coins.

Cheers,
SH
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...only use a bang ring with the coin set. Could also be you've gotten a LOT of mileage from them and may just need to get another one. I'm not sure of a way to "fix" them.

Mark.
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Not to beat a dead horse but it does sound that way. I work at a magic shop and I can't tell you how many times kids bring in a scotch and soda or dime and penny set complaining that it doens't fit anymore or it is broken. The number one cause was the fact they are shaken them in a cup or throwing them against the table to get them loose. Definately invest in a bang ring. Johnson rings are brass and affordable.

I ruined a set once because the real centavo that came with the set got jammed in the ] and stretched it out. It had the same problem yours is having. BUt since it stretched only slightly I still used the coin, just for different effects.

DOn't throw your set because you now have a non locking ] set with a copper insert. Theres a name for type of gaff, but I can't remember. Todd Lassen told me once but I just call it a non-locking scotch and soda... You can do some cool stuff with this gaff and I believe Tommy Wonder used a coin similar to this in his "Socked Coins" routine. It's on his videos and in his Books of Wonder.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
The non-locking set, jquackc, is called Sun and Moon...

SH
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
I believe the coin that Wonder uses has a coin with hole in it for the insert coin.... This gaff is referred to as a china bit coin.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Nathan, it might be possible to "tighten" the set by gently rolling the edge of the half dollar on a table, or by pressing very gently in the center of the bottom of the half dollar. Worth a try -- it can't get any worse than it is now!

And Sahunhong, I believe that a Sun & Moon set consists of a half dollar and an English Penny, although you are correct that it is a non-locking set. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Buy a new one and make sure you treat it right. Throw that away it will never be the same.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I can pretty much guarantee that the issue is the manufacturer. I work in a shop that sells only Johnson coins now after seeing what happens with other companies. The cheaper S&S sets just don't hold up to being beaten to open them.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
gvmagic1
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of gvmagic1
Always use the provided Band Ring. The one time that I did not use the Band Ring I did damage to the coins. They were never the same again. Had to retire the set.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
While I agree that a bang ring is the best way to open things up. IF you need to use a tubler use a plastic one, its less likely to damage things.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Nathan,

Try inserting the [ upside down in a bang ring and pressing in the middle of it with both thumbs. The first time I had this happen this is what my dealer (Wayne at Mingus Magic, Reading, PA) did and it works like a charm.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 20:22, Nathan Hastings wrote:
My Scotch and Soda half dollar gimmick is becoming so loose where it's literally coming apart in my spectators' hands. Talk about embarassing.

How can I remedy this? What did I do wrong to loosen up the shell so much?

Thanks a lot.
Whats the make on that ss set. If its johnson let me know and I may be able to help you out. Thanks PT
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
I have a bang ring and mine gets loose too. It does not fall apart but get to the point were it is not solid and wiggles a tiny bit. I think the Johnson instructions had the following procedure(or some book?) Hold it on it's edge on a table and roll it while tapping it on top with a spoon.

I have never heard of shaking the coin in a glass?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I have a set that was loose out of the bag. I coated the inside of the [ with a liquid bandage and have been happy ever since.

Nail polish would probably work too.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and Soda is Falling Apart! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL