The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A thought on cheapskates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
In the "DVDs for sale" page, one can find several people asking to buy very high quality magic for bottomfeeder prices. Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one was willing to allow that to happen? Tommy Wonder, for one, provided the magic community with some wonderful routines, any one of which was is worth far more than the $35 L&L charged for each DVD in the set. And yet someone was willing to sell his vol #1 for $13, and thus the magic is devalued.

If we devalue the tuition to learn, doesn't that devalue the performance? Don't these bottomfeeders realize they won't esteem the knowledge as highly as they should?

Isn't it obvious that someone so cheap they can't scrape together another meager $5
for quality work is someone who will probably not have the chops to put the work in on the routines? Bargain basement teaching material means buyers who create bargain basement performance... they value their teachers so poorly because it is a reflection of their own perceived value.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Mixed feelings on this.... but at least they are after top quality stuff.
I for one keep my books and DVD's. My reference libraries are invaluable to me.

As a dear friend of my said..."Quit shopping and start rehearsing".

I found as I progress I am much more discriminating in my purchases and have to be able to see me performing the routine as part of one of my acts, or I take a pass on props. Quality books and DVD's for my library are my achilles heel.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
What!?

I'm...

I'm sorry...

I can't understa...

Can you please come down!

I can't hear you from down here!
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It's all well and good until you find the Tommy Wonder DVD that you've been looking for for $13.00. Then you've found yourself a great bargain.
Money is such a tawdry way to equate the value of something.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Besides, the DVDs or effects ARE used goods, so why pay full price for them?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Are you mad because you were to late to buy the $13 video? I would be too.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
No, I own it, am just nonplussed when I see a "WTB" for it at $15- and he says "must be excellent condition," as though he is entitled... I mean good grief, just pay what it's worth, or doesn't he think his magic deserves that kind of investment?

I agree with the point that of course everyone wants a bargain, and of course used = cheaper, but that shouldn't set the value of the item at a ludicrous bargain basement level.

A used DVD provides material every bit as valuable as the original, and thus this "I demand more than 50% off retail plus free shipping" crapola is creating a really cheap "tawdry" outlook on the value of the material. I'm just sayin'.

A guy offered me $25 for Gregory Wilson's On the Spot, a $50 2 volume DVD. "My wife won't let me spend more than $25 a month on magic." Well, then you get what you pay for, in terms of your knowledge.
Quote:
As a dear friend of my said..."Quit shopping and start rehearsing".
I agree with Sea Dawg 100%.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Sellers and buyers are never at the same supply and demand equilibrium! But the equilibrium will arrive when the two curves intersect at some point... But then the market value is always determined by a particular segment of the market too.. Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A thought on cheapskates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL