The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Copperfield notes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
Does anyone know where I can find cpooperfield lecture notes? If he has any....or other products for magicians such as videos on magic by him.....

He is my favourite magician....

thanks,

-mike-
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I don't think DC has ever done anything like that other than his Illusion DVD which is for sale on his website and probably at Amazon as well. Can't say I've ever seen anything or ever heard of lecture notes he did including products. Most stuff DC has done (with regards to close-up material) is commercially available and if not it's because he has purchased exclusive performance rights and so he and only he can do it. That is IMHO unfortunate because he has done some great stuff that he no longer uses and will never see the light of day again because of the whole exclusive performance rights bit.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Isn't there a thread hook up contributed somewhere by him? There was a way he hooked up a thread to a mic stand which was pretty cool. He also had a mentalism effect using a pen in, I think, The Collected Almanac.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
The thread hook up Dorian is referring to is for the Floating Rose by Kevin James. Not sure about the mentalism effect.
Brian-
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I believe the mentalism effect is from Tarbell 7 or 8, and is credited to David Kotkin.

--Josh
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2007-10-05 13:20, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
He also had a mentalism effect using a pen in, I think, The Collected Almanac.

Not the Almanac. Tabell, Vol 7, page 52. The Mento-Pen by David Kotkin.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I don't own any Tarbell Course books. Could someone please share what the effect "Mento-Pen" is please?
Brian-
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
From Tarbell 7:

"Magician displays a felt-tip pen. He points out that the Roman Numbers I, II, and III are just below the cap, on the body of the pen (see Figs. 1, 2, and 3). He either gives the pen to the spectator, or holds it (by the cap) behind his back. He asks the spectator to think of one of the three numbers. Then he's to turn the cap (or hold the cap and turn the body) so that the clip of the pen points directly to the thought-of numbers. Look at Figs. 1, 2, and 3."

"Spectator does so, and then removes the cap, twists and turns it any way he likes, and puts it back on the back of the pen, leaving the writing tip exposed. Magician takes the pen and immediately writes down the thought-of number."

As far as I know, David Copperfield no longer performs this effect. ;-)

--Josh
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I believe there are several of Copperfield's (under the name "David Kotkin") items in Karl Fulves' Epilogue. I don't have the book with me, so I may be wrong...
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
Where is Karl Fulves Epilogue? Where can I find it?

-mike-
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
EPILOGUE was a sleight-of-hand magazine (ran for 24 issues and 5 specials). It was later collected into a single hardbound volume. Lots of great contributors.

I have the hardbound volume and, unfortunately, there is no detailed index, only a table of contents...and while that table of contents does list the contributor of record for each item, the names "David Kotkin," "David Copperfield," or "Davino" are not among them. So while it's possible that the actual text reveals that David originated this or that aspect of a contribution, there's no way to know that without actually reading the full text.

Maybe it was PALLBEARER'S REVIEW or CHRONICLES? I haven't checked those yet for any contributions from David...

--Josh
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
[quote]On 2007-10-03 10:35, MagicMichealMan wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find cpooperfield lecture notes? If he has any....or other products for magicians such as videos on magic by him.....

He is my favourite magician....

thanks,

-mike-
Quote:

Just wondering who cpooperfield is? Smile
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
The closest Dave has ever come to publishing effects (other than the above mentioned Mento-Pen) to the best of my knowledge is his Project Magic Handbooks which has seen many incarnations. The latest book was available at his live performances where I purchased it (in 2009 I believe). The others are from the 80`s (again to the best of my knowledge) and are collectibles now and are pricey at about $70-$80, if you can find one. There is one on eBay right now that is starting at $49 (click the link at the bottom) which is about what I paid for my copy from eBay. Just so you know, most, if not all, of the effects that are taught are beginner`s effects or that have been in print many times over and are not his inventions (pretty sure about that) or from any of his performances, except "The Jumping Rubber Band" which was performed and taught on his 6th TV special during a Project Magic section of the show. David will never publish anything that discusses his own magical inventions pertaining to methods. However, there are a number of marketed effects that you can purchase which I'll list for you and anyone else interested in performing something he has done. The numbers in brackets which come after the inventors name denote the special on which David performed them. Misled by Timothy Wenk (12), Cardiographic by Martin Lewis (12 & 17 renamed Moon Rise for 17, unsure whether this version is Lewis' or not as one picture of the moon lowers and another rises up), The Floating Rose by Kevin James (13), The Immaculate Connection by Paul Harris (5), Cigarette Through Quarter (2) ( I don't who invented this, but since you live in Canada as I do, you might like the Paul Bélanger method which uses a Canadian quarter, but is a different method from the one Dave used), The $100 Bill Switch by Vlado (11), Crazy Man`s Handcuff`s by Arthur Setterington (11), Airtight (Card in Balloon) by Jay Sankey (13), Matchbook Follies (animated and floating match) (10), The Floating Ball (Dave used a mirrored "disco" ball not the one supplied with the marketed version) (2), Room Service (5), Top Ten (which is based on Billy McComb's McCombical Prediction) (3), Dancing Handkerchief (1 & 17, he used a pair women's panties on the 17th special in place of the hankey in the illusion Panty Swap) all by Don Wayne, a version of Jeff Stewart`s Now-U-C-It, Now-U-Don`t (3), Orange, Lemon Egg & Canary by Paul Romhany (2), Ring Flight by Al Koran (2 & 15 he uses a babies shoe and the ring appears tied to one of the laces, don't know who came up with the idea of using a shoe), The Linking Rings (3 I don't believe historians have been able to determine who or even where this effect comes from) Dancing Cane (1 it's origins come from The magnetized Cane), Torn & Restored Newspaper (Dave used a cue-card), The Vanishing Egg (a version of Slydini's The Flight of the Paper Balls AKA Paper Balls over the Head which I believe was conceived by Chris Kenner), (a version of )Room for Doubt (13), Gypsy Thread (AKA Hindu Thread) by L.H. Branson (at least I think that is the inventor, Edwin Sachs had an earlier version published in Slight of Hand), Torn and Restored Paper Hart (3 same method as Gypsy Thread, although I'm unsure if it was David who came up with the idea of using a small paper heart or not) The Linking Finger Rings (a Persi Diaconis idea that was later developed into a full routine by Richard Himber and was performed on tour only! Obviously there are stage illusions which have been marketed that David has performed, but I tried to keep this list to ones you can readily purchase for a reasonable price and ones that you'd be able to perform in most settings with the exceptions of The Dancing Cane and Don Wayne's Floating Ball and Dancing Handkerchief. Some of these are not in production anymore, but can be purchased on the second market such here on the Café or on sites like eBay. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Adam

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVID-COPPERFIEL......5895fbce
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Copperfield notes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL