The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publishing/Formatting A Book Or Booklet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this posting or not, but I am in the process of writing a BOR book (about 45-65 pages) and would like it to be in the smaller 8.5" x 5.5" size (which is the size of a full size sheet of paper folded in half horizontally) and am looking for a means to format it.

Is anyone familiar with a web site, program or software they could recommend to do this? I work off a Mac so it must be compatible.

The text is written in the full-page format but I want to re-format it to the smaller size format obviously with double-sided printing. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mindpro
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Contact the copy department at someplace like Kinko's, Staples or Office Depot. They should be able to help you.

Might be they can take it "as-is" and reduce the size when printing to what you desire. They can also tell you how to arrange the pages so they fall in place when being printed. They won't be in page 1, 2, 3, etc...format. The numbering will be different so they are in order when folded and placed together.

Take a booklet you have that is stapled, open it to the center and look at how the pages would be printed if the staple removed. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck. Mark.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Pagemaker used to be available in a MAC format, and may still be. I originally used it on MAC, but that wasy before Adobe bought it out. I now use Adobe Pagemaker in PC format.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

First, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to your printer and seek out their advice. You don't want to do a bunch of work, sweating out the details only to find out you have to tear it all up and redo the whole thing all over again. Trust me, I've been there!

It seems there are a couple of ways around your issue. One, you could set up the pages yourself, using PageMaker, or InDesign, both Adobe products and both at home on a Mac, or you could use QuarkXpress, which is also available for Mac. InDesign, which I favor, and Quark are probably too expensive unless you are going to be doing a lot of self-publishing. PageMaker should be more affordable, although don't go to the bank on my word for it. It was replaced by InDesign, and the last I heard, PageMaker was headed for the SOHO market, which is why it should be more affordable. You could also look at Publisher by Micro$oft, but most of the printers I used to use looked down on it as a pain in the ... lower regions.

That being said, you're going to have to impose the pages yourself, or have them imposed. That simply means that you're going to have to have the pages laid up like they're going to be printed. Remember, you're working in multiples of four pages. The simplest way to think of it is to take a sheet of paper, fold it in half, and start numbering pages. You'll quickly discover that, in the instance of a 48-page publication, the pages always add up to 49, pages 1 and 48 are on the same sheet of paper, and, in this instance, pages 2 and 47 are on the opposite side. It sounds goofy, but get 12 sheets of paper, fold them book-style, and start numbering. I did various projects which involved the same size finished publication you're working with, and even though I knew how it was supposed to work, I always made myself a little book to keep the pages right.

That being said, you could always print out your pages on 8.5 x 11 in a type size that would allow for a 50-percent reduction, and give them to your printer that way, and let them set it up for you. It might be a little more costly, but saves you a lot of time and headache. Weigh your costs, time, etc., and figure out which way to go. If the printer will do the above for anything less than a couple hundred dollars, that's the way I'd go if I couldn't do it myself out of the box, and keep in mind I did this type of work for a living. The first projects of this type are the worst -- that's when you make all your mistakes. If you're not going to be doing publication work on a regular basis, let the pros handle it. After all, you don't want the printers out taking magic gigs, right?

Printers create publications, magicians create magic, and everybody makes money at what they're good at. Take your publication to a qualified printer, just like you'd want someone to take their magic business to a qualified magician.

That's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I use Clickbook. It automatically formats the text to the size book you want. It has numerous sized books/booklets to choose from. Everything is shrunk proportionally. I love the program. It's the best sofware I ever bought. I think it come in Mac format too. Look up Blue Squirrel on the web and you should find it. Hope this helps.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
PatrickDonovan
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
38 Posts

Profile of PatrickDonovan
Mark has the right idea. Take it to a Kinkos, they will take care of it. Many artists use Kinkos to print "sketch books" which are basically pamphlets, and sell them at trades shows. This seems like it would meet your needs.
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
If you are looking to 2-up the book on a 8 1/2 x 11 inch page and make it double sided. Be sure that the number of pages inside the book is divisible by 4.

I used to work at a copy center back in the day so I could get the exprience to see the "behind the scenes" of the company that makes my prints today for my magic business, so if you have any questions...PM me.

-john
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Order Clickbook from Blue Squirrel software. It will format and make any kind, size book you want. The best software I ever bought. Just remember when you type the original do it in around 20 pts as it will shrink the size depending on the size book. Even shrinks pictures accordingly. Good luck

-Gary
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publishing/Formatting A Book Or Booklet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL