The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » C.a.f.e regex replacement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Is anyone else seeing Caf? instead of the c a f e(accented e) ???

I can see it on some pages but main page shows ? instead of accented e
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Daegs, that's usually browser specific.
In your browser preferences, default encoding in the "appearance" menu should be set to:

Western ISO (Latin 1)

Clearing the cookies is also a good idea, I'm not sure if they cache browser preferences at the time of original viewing, but clear them to be sure!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
No.... the main page shows Caf? All the other pages correctly show caf.e with accented e.

My browser is capable of displaying the accented e and does seem to do so on most pages, but the main page shows Caf? with question mark. All the pages are fresh and non-cached.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
One thought - check to see if the Verdana font is installed on your computer. That's the font in use here.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Ok, I understand how this could be un-clear, but please let me repeat:

Most of the other pages besides the MAIN Café page(/forums/index.php) display Café with the accented e just fine, this is not a browser display problem as I can see the correct Café many other places.

Is the main page now using a different unicode accented e then the rest of the site?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Daegs, jus out of curiousity, did you try the steps that silverking posted? This happened with another member and following his suggestions fixed the problem.
Where the magic begins
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Daegs, it's not unclear.....I understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to help with some ideas for you to try.

The fact that some pages format the Café accent OK doesn't mean the menu is set properly. That drop down menu contains dozens of formating options, and some of them format some elements of a page the same way.

You'll need to quit your browser after making the change to Western ISO, then re-start it for the change to take effect.

Another distinct possibility is that your browsers preferences are corrupted, the menu may show as being on Western ISO, but actually be on Unicode. The best thing to do is to change the menu to some other offering, quit the browser, re-start the browser and re-set it to Western ISO, quit the browser and then re-start it again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » C.a.f.e regex replacement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL