The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
I perform the linking rings when i do kids shows and stuff, but i am stuck for patter. I used to use a science patter but i found the kidds didn't understand.

Any good movies or books - or personal opinions that i can use would be greatly appreciated.
It's like that? I guess it's like that! OH YEAH!!! YEAH!! - wait, what are we talking about?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
try the cellini lord and master of the rings...available on dvd....a steal at only $25...available at most major magic shops

koz
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I second the DVD by Cellini as it contains a number of excellent moves.

But you probably already know some moves. So for kids, simply, and amplify!

Cut the number of rings, make bigger motions and give each move a singificance. Science does sound a bit heavey for younger kids.

Another thought just came by, Dan Harlan has a very nice rings to ropes routine as a bonus on one of his rubber band videos. If you have it, it makes a nice light comedy that would be pretty easy to put a patter up for.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Check out my routine, available on video, called Whit Haydn's Comedy Four-Ring Routine.

It was developed originally for street performance back in the sixties, but plays really well for stage, cabaret, and kid shows as well. It has the advantage of being a talking routine, one that always has something happening so that it holds the crowd.

A silent routine will probably not be the best for kid shows. You need to hold kids attention with a tight leash, and only the most sophisticated of artists is able to do that silently. Even on the street, silent routines are very difficult to perform in such a way that they hold the crowd.

The best patter is almost always patter that is the performer's natural commentary on what is going on. Story patter should be kept to a minimum even in kid shows--it quickly gets old do to its lack of immediacy.

When doing a routine like the rings for children, it is almost essential to involve them in some way, either on the stage or in examining the rings from their seats in the audience.

I think you will find that the rings have a natural charm for kids, and that no matter what routine you use you will find them a joy to perform.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I can second Whit's recommendation on his Comedy Four Ring Routine. He performed in Dallas a couple of months ago and it is an enertaining, mystifying routine. I said right then, "when I decide to do the Linking Rings I'm doing this routine." He had a 12 year old up to help him with it, and it was a Howl. I don't think anyone could be disapointed by this routine.
Ronnie
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I've seen Whit's routine and it's hilarious. I'd highly recommend purchasing it.

And while you're at it, pick up Cellini's too-- IMNSHO the most beautiful routine in the world.

They're both a bargain at twice the price.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Please forgive me for taking so long to respond. But another good DVD to watch is "World's Greatest Magic's" Linking Rings. It routines from different performers.

Dustin if you repeatedly keep performing the routine for kids you will get more use to it. Everything will fall in place with ease. You will find out your own faults, and repair them.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Whit, do you have plans to put out a DVD version? Video players are going, going, gone out of fashion for many people.
The presentation makes the magic.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The DVD has been out for a couple of years. It is available at most dealers and on our site: http://www.scoundrelsstore.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I used this routine in a kid's show with one assistant, a 5 year old girl, I think. She got a great reaction from the crowd. If you are comfortable working with the kids, then you will have a winner.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
I'd also recommend Chris Capehart's 3- ring routine, available on DVD.
Mike
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
David Ginn has a comedy linking rings routine that I used to use when I did a kid's show (and had rings Smile ) It might work for you. It uses the full set of rings and two spectators.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Whit: Your routine is great! Great style and very funny!

I never really had any interest in linking rings until I saw your routine, and now, I am currently learning it.

Thanks for making inspirational magic!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Try to find the book of terry seabrook. in there is his routine he uses for kids.
because terry doesn'tlike children this routine is great.

things are happening to him. ring link when he is not looking etc.

great book to find, reccomended
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I noticed Terry Seabrook had a video tape too, "Terry Seabrooke's Magic is Entertainment Video."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Linking Rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL