The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I need real world advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Big Daddy
There is a lot of good advise here, but I have not heard you say just what kind of market you want to attack.

As Donald just said you can advertise actively, or passively. This is a function of who you want to work for, and how many jobs you want to do.

You will not work every weekend doing corporate gigs, and you will not get big bucks doing birthday parties, or restaurant gigs.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
My past work has been mostly in theaters. Never had to sell them much, I would approach them with a show and if they were willing to buy it, great. If not, I would just rent the theater outright. The majority of the marketing/selling I have done is to the end user - THIS is a whole different thing from selling a single client. I imagine that most people marketing themselves in the corporate world would be just as lost about how to market a theater show to sell tickets. I've just never had to agressively "sell" a service. Even my mall client (who had an unused theater space), I went in with an idea, they said yes passed on my theater portfolio and that was about it...

Here's the market(s) I would like to attack -
Corporate Shows - Stage work only. I am not interested at all in strolling/close-up or small groups.

High Schools - I have a great show that I've developed for high school seniors.

No kids. No birthday parties. No outdoor fairs or festivals.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Then you need an active advertising strategy, and from reading "trickey Business" even I know that Jim Snack is the go to guy for that.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Why stop a wining formula? You put up a "little" of your own money and make great porfits and live handsomely? I'd get marriage counselling before I'd mess around with what works in my business. I'm all for the other half having input, but if life is good, why mess it up by changing strategy mid season?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Big daddy,

Sorry to hear about all your challenges, but sometimes that's life and I believe there is a deeper meaning to it all...

as far as advise I would say beggars can't be choosers. the question I would ask how serious are you about transferring into magic full time? is your wife OK with that? (counselling and being on the same page is SUPER imporatnt if you want to stay happily married) you say that you don't want to do close up and kids I totally understand, BUT from what I understand you are not in position to choose righ now. Would you agree with that statement or not?

If you want to keep your full time job for "security" that shows me that you are not fully commited to full time (i.e. keeping that back door always open) hey there is NOTHING wrong with making a living and providing for your family, but FULL TIME pro is just that (unless you just want to be a part timer) there is TONS of $$$ to be made in kids and close up market. again how picky are you?

I had a friend that told me this story for illustration point he went to McDonald's and after he came out he offered one of his burgers to a hobo guy out front and he refused b/c he is a vegetarian. heck the guy is frigging beggar, but won't accept the food!

Do you see what I am getting at? Hope I don't sound too harsh. Just my 2 cents.

Bond James Bond
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Brother John,

There is waaaaay too much to autopsy here in a truly effective manner based on the share you have offered to date. There are Career choices and issues, Relationship choices and issues as well as many other logistical (Personal AND Professional) considerations too numerous to outline before we could effectively get to a real SOLUTION that is truly comprehensive and appropriate to all the "considerations" yet to be uncovered...

IF I can be of personal value and service to you, feel free to connect with me directly and we can cut to the chase for you and your best served success support and outcomes, personally as well as professionally!

I'm here for you if you like my friend! - - You'd do the same for us, but the choice is YOURS alone.

Let me know how I can be of service, support and encouragement to you and your family my friend!

I am truly at your service and In HIS Service,
Dean

Results@TheDean.net
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice. It has been helpful, if nothing else to provide a third party perspective.

Going from full time performing (something some in this thread have missed) to retied, then hopefully back to full time (or even just part time) has been an emotional rollercoaster, if nothing else.

I think my frustration has been rushing it. I was really hoping to be back to full time almost immediately. I had forgotten that even my successful theater career took at least a year to fully realize it's potential. I would like to be doing shows this fall and Holiday season, but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just reset my sights for 2008 and focus there.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-10 14:28, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Why stop a wining formula? You put up a "little" of your own money and make great porfits and live handsomely? I'd get marriage counselling before I'd mess around with what works in my business. I'm all for the other half having input, but if life is good, why mess it up by changing strategy mid season?

Christopher,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it is just more complicated than that. Not only am I dealing with the situation with a spouse, but I have been off for a full year rehabbing - I am starting all over from scratch.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
It is waaaaaaay intricate and complicated to get to the real brass tacks here... that is why I offered to support and encourage you if you'd like.

You have too much going for you to ‘languish in anguish’ bud! NOT pushing, just offering as one brother to another… no strings, just help. Let me know my friend!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Dean,

I'll be in touch..
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 11:31, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 14:28, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

Christopher,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it is just more complicated than that. Not only am I dealing with the situation with a spouse, but I have been off for a full year rehabbing - I am starting all over from scratch.

Big Daddy, I appologize. I should have asked more about the situation. Please forgive my insensitivity.

GOD speed good health to you!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

No foul.

This is a complicated issue and one that I am surprised I am having to deal with. Different markets pose different challenges. Because the theater market is different, I never once sent any press materials to any corporate planners or individual businesses. I've never once advertised individual private shows. My model was and has been completely different, and If someone here wanted to know how to be successful with a theater tour, I am the expert.

Also, because of the success I was having in theaters, it spun off into production work for other theater venues. This is how I got my contract with Opry Mills Mall, producing a weekly theater show in their venue. This was a three year contract, and I had to market the SHOW and get people there. Which I did. We averaged over 1,000 people every week!

Every peice of press I have gotten in the past was always connected to a theater show I was performing in or producing. It has never been a story about how I can make "your business event a success." I just have never gone that direction. For example, the latest article in the Nashville paper is about Magicpalooza - a theater show I am helping produce and am hosting as the MC. It is a theater show, and the article is geared to sell tickets - which we have. We will sell out this week!

If someone wants to learn how to mount a theater production and market the show to sell tickets, then I am an expert. But when it comes to promoting myself as a solo performer, well it is just unfamiliar ground. Apparantly some on the Café' think that all markets are the same. Not true. They each have very different cultures, techniques and challenges - before I attempt to tackle new markets, I think it is important to learn what I can from those who have focused in those markets.

When I retired last year, I really did not think I would be performing again. I quit marketing anything. But soon I will be able to do so soon, but my circumstances require that I look at new markets - markets that I am unfamiliar with - compared to the knowledge base here. It takes a real man to admit his challenges and weaknesses. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to reveal a weakness in public.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I need real world advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL