The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Office Parties - Direct mailing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Hi gang,

I was wondering what the best route to go about when doing a direct mailing is. That is to say how do you pitch a show, or strolling magic for a company event; seems that it's a drastically different approach than the one used for restaurants, and I'm at a loss on this one.

Thanks,

Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Cold calling office parties will return a higher yield.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Thanks for the reply, but how do you make the pitch for doing the office party?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Send me a PM.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
If the mailing list is comprised of your own past customers, yes, that's a good idea. Otherwise I'd pass on a direct mail campaign. The trick is you have to get directly to the corporate person planning the party at exactly the right time... that's almost impossible.

I suggest you develop relationships with banquet and catering mangagers at hotels and restaurnats banquet facilities. They're often in a position to recommend musicians, DJs and magicians.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
In that case, I can only send direct mail to one party. I'll try the other avenues as you've suggested.

Thanks,

Josh
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Josh, the basic deal with direct marketing is LTO - List, timing, offer. If you are sending the right message, to the right person, at the right time, then you are on to a winner, regardless of what you are selling. The idea of DM is to spend a lot more money on each individual than you would with mass marketing. So what can you do to offer them something? How are you going to stand out from the crowd? Are you confident if you get to see them face to face that you can sell your services? Remember AIDA Attention, Interest, Desire, Action. Can you do something over the phone with them? I'm sure there are plenty of effects, whereby you could send them a deck of cards in the mail and then perform an effect during a follow up call. Receiving a deck of cards from a magician will get their attention. Telling them to be at their phone at a particular time on a particular day will get interest. The effect you perform will create the desire. And the deal should be easily actionable thereafter. If they can't be at the phone? Give them a voucher for dinner at your current venue in order to see you perform.

Remember, DM is about what you put into it. Writing a letter informing them of your services is not good enough. It's about spending money to make money!

BTW, I am not speaking from experience in terms of marketing magic shows, but I can tell you I have certainly seen thousands of DM campaigns up close! Anyhows, best of luck!
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Kardenni
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando Florida
116 Posts

Profile of Kardenni
Eric Anderson Has excellent information on this.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Use existing leads! If you work trade shows, you have a prospect list. Often the supplying company wants the connection!

Also remember that people who own businesses seldom own only one. (Top down works better than bottom up.)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

(An old booking agency owner and officer with the American Federation of Musicians.)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Office Parties - Direct mailing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL