The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teach a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
When I perform in resturants I some times get asked can I teach them a simple trick at the moment I am using an idea of Jerry O'connell but I would be interested to hear other views
Rowland
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
IMO, teaching at a paying venue is not the best idea.
The role there is entertainer, not teacher.

If you feel you must do this then teach the quickest, self-working trick you know.
Here are some opinions of others.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As I am primarily a children's entertainer, I'm often asked by the kids to teach a trick. My restaurants all provide crayons for the wee guests so it's quick and easy to teach the mindreading crayon bit. Spectator chooses a crayon, places it in the "magician's" hand, "magician" turns around and without looking reveals the color chosen. Kids love it. If time permits on those really slow nights, I may also teach the old salt-shaker-through-the-table routine.

I follow this up with a bookmark that I created with my logo & contact info, the Dewey Decimal number for library magic books and a list of the local libraries. Who knows, we might be encouraging a future Chris or Copperfield.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Hi , thanks Jaz I have been on the link very helpful I can't believe some of the tricks some people were willing to teach !
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I tend to agree with Jaz. Being there to entertain and not to take of the paying customers time with me teaching an effect for one group of folks. Maybe at the end of my gig (Time permitting and I was not pressed to be anywhere else) I would decline teaching and just mention..time permitting after I am done if you are not busy I will come back and show you a little something. With some rubber bands in my pockets.. maybe I nice little simple 'Jumping Rubber Band' quick, easy, and out..

<Poof>
gone!
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Not your job to teach..
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm there to serve and entertain the customers in any way time and ability permits. Giving a little extra attention to a customer practically guarantees good word of mouth and a return visit. That is in my favor.

If time allows and a customer wishes to learn a quick and easy trick, where's the harm? It's a personal service often rewarded with a generous personal tip! Naturally I'm not going to do this if the place is hopping and customers are piled up like cord wood. But, on a slack night - it's better than standing around with my thumb up my tip! Just MY opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
If someone asks to learn a trick, I teach them King's Fool and then they get to keep my business card with the trick printed on it. This is great for children and adults. I've done this at corporate events and have even been asked by the people who hired me to teach it to them. I also got repeat business since they had my card/trick on their desk for later. At restaurants it's great because you don't appear to be soliciting clients while on their dime. Yet, It gets all your contact info into the families hands in a subtle manner. Better than a regular business card trick.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 13:33, Skip Way wrote:
As I am primarily a children's entertainer, I'm often asked by the kids to teach a trick. My restaurants all provide crayons for the wee guests so it's quick and easy to teach the mindreading crayon bit. Spectator chooses a crayon, places it in the "magician's" hand, "magician" turns around and without looking reveals the color chosen. Kids love it. If time permits on those really slow nights, I may also teach the old salt-shaker-through-the-table routine.

Are we related because I am a kid's entertainer too. Plus those are the same two I teach.

But I do not teach when the patrons are new. They will have to be regulars.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
Are we related...

Could be, Mike! We both have those genetically enhanced good looks and flashing smiles! Smile

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
LOL Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Two Card Monty. The instructions and payroll size envelope were nicely printed with the Rosy O'Grady logo, the resturant paid for it.
My name was prominently featured. if I were doing it today, I would include a 'to learn more tricks' link to that part of my web site.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Since when did magic become all about just performing?? I consider myself an entertainer...and yes, I have taught people a quick trick while being paid. Only my regulars though. If they come in to see me every week, I think that more than warrants me being able to teach them something simple they can show their friends. And it also generates more word of mouth advertising too...

They show their friend the trick you taught them and their friend asks where they learned it..."Why the magician at Red Robin of course!"

And I know first hand it pays off too...and also creates goodwill with their friends as well, as it's making you seem gracious and professional. What's the harm in teaching a trick? Certainly not exposure, that's for sure.

Oh...and the trick I teach is a hindu force and and the magicians force. They force the card, then deal out 6 cards (2 piles of 3). Then from there use the magicians force to find the selected card. I've only taught this twice though...

Best.
Steve
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The thought that those I may teach will keep coming back and buggin' me to teach even more free tricks don't appeal to me.
I suppose mentioning paid lessons outside of the gig could reap some added benefits. Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Here's what I do in this situation...

I tell the person (child or adult) that if they're REALLY interested in learning a magic trick, to go to the local library. It's FREE and there's a vast array of info on the subject.

This gets them reading and keeps them away from the internet distractions provided by Ellusionist like websites.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 16:20, Jaz wrote:
The thought that those I may teach will keep coming back and buggin' me to teach even more free tricks don't appeal to me.
I suppose mentioning paid lessons outside of the gig could reap some added benefits. Smile

I've haven't had anyone do that...or heard of it happening to anyone. Most people have enough common sense to understand that it isn't an everyday occurrence, and not to get greedy.

Quote:
On 2007-10-26 16:50, lylemagic wrote:
Here's what I do in this situation...

I tell the person (child or adult) that if they're REALLY interested in learning a magic trick, to go to the local library. It's FREE and there's a vast array of info on the subject.

This gets them reading and keeps them away from the internet distractions provided by Ellusionist like websites.

IMO, that just further makes it seem like you're above them. Of course we can all do stuff they can't, but I don't see the harm in teaching them a quick trick. It builds goodwill among those at the table and spreads word-of-mouth about you and the restaurant. It's a win-win situation that doesn't really hurt anyone.

Best.
Steve
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Steve,

I do agree IN PART...

HOWEVER...

I'm there as a paid entertainer...not a teacher. If I teach one then I should teach all. Picture Red Robin on a busy night...I mean really busy. Would you have time to teach?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 23:54, lylemagic wrote:
Steve,

I do agree IN PART...

HOWEVER...

I'm there as a paid entertainer...not a teacher. If I teach one then I should teach all. Picture Red Robin on a busy night...I mean really busy. Would you have time to teach?

Well, I've spent a bit of extra time with my regulars on a busy night. That's why they keep coming back, so it's worth it to both you and the restaurant to make it worth their while.

And while I'm there as an entertainer too (paid), teaching a trick CAN be entertaining to your average lay person. Make it interesting, and then reap the rewards as their friends come pouring in! (witnessed it first hand!) Smile

best.
Steve
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I can see where you're coming from...my only fear is that over time, you get swamped with people wanting to come to the free magic workshop that RR is offering featuring Professor Magic Steve.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 00:20, lylemagic wrote:
I can see where you're coming from...my only fear is that over time, you get swamped with people wanting to come to the free magic workshop that RR is offering featuring Professor Magic Steve.

Like Steve, I've never had a person balk or complain when I say, "I'm really busy tonight. Catch me on a slower night and it'll be my pleasure." Meantime, Lyle, on busy nights I use your idea of encouraging the kid to hit the library and show me a new trick next time they come in. They usually love this idea. This builds regular customers, grateful parents and big tips.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teach a trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL