The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Blister Book by Jack Kent Tillar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This grabbed me:
"Once or twice every century, a new principle is discovered in our mystery field. In 1972, Jack Kent Tillar's Blister Effect was first published in Tarbell Volume 7. Harry Lorayne wrote, "As far as I know, this principle is new to magic." The effect is that a performer mysteriously makes a blister appear on the tip of his or her finger. Since its publication, this unique effect has become well-known and used by most mentalists and magicians".

Sounds like a great book.

Read more here at MJM:
BLISTER
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Wow, I like the look of the list of the contributers.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'll be starting it tonight. I love blister and never realized that there could be so many things to do with it. I do it as a card location and a joke, I also do it with a bit of mentalism.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I use tony andruzzi's method and presentation of drawing the outline of your hand on a napkin and lighting a cigarette or still hot match and having them burn one of the tips of your fingers on the napkin and a blister appears on the finger they burnt..

Great for small group for halloween.

I'd like to see more routines and presentations, I'm interested.
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
I am thinking about getting this book...reviews anyone?
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sounds good
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm starting to read it now. I have a great feeling about this book ( I'm Dyslexic and it's an easy read ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: The Blister Book by Jack Kent Tillar
Medium: Book, soft cover
Arena: close up, bizarre, gag, mentalism
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

The Blister has been one of my favorite effects since I first saw it in Tarbell Seven many moons ago. I would do it as a gag, as a way of locating a card, which now that I think of it was not real logical, it is just a great visual. The Blister is impromptu, you are usually set up to do it at any time and if you choose the right time and present it well you’ll have one heck of a great routine. For you Street Assassins and Hallway Hit Men this is the kind of effect that you’ll love. It will get the freaked out response you crave and in its simplicity your chums will likely never figure it out. For those not hip to it the effect is, as one example, as follows. A spectator picks a card and memorizes it, you lay the cards out face down. You run your finger over the cards and suddenly jerk your hand back in pain, you show a blister is now on your finger and the card that caused it is the selection. Okay, that is my bad routine but I am not going to tip any from the book to you but you get the idea. The Blister is a means to make a very realistic, to the point doctors will fall for it, blister show up on any of your fingers and you then can either heal it or leave it be. I’ve burned my fingers before and let me tell you, you cannot tell the difference between the real blister and the phony.

Jack Tillar started using the blister for magical purposes and very likely was the first to do so. I won’t say he is the first to notice the blistering but hey, he gets credit and deserves it. In The Blister Book Jack has contribution from many, many, major players in magic and magick for you bizarre types. The presentations circle around a common theme for the most part with different subtle parts that make the all worth reading. I don’t know how I missed the standard presentation but it is great and I’ve been doing it at ghost walks and the spectators really are not sure if it is a trick or real…I leave them thinking it is real without saying so. Jack goes over pretty much everything you can imagine, the routines, how to make the blister, different ideas on combining the effect with other magical props. I found it very interesting and valuable because I took the ideas and came up with my own presentation that I just love.

If you know the effect and want some ideas you’ll like this book. If you don’t know the effect you’ll love this book. If you are looking for a powerful piece of impromptu magic that will make people feel a little shiver up the spine and maybe scare ‘em a bit, you’ll be running off to buy this book right now. I am kind of bummed that more people will now be hip to The Blister but I’ll have to learn to live with it. Oh, I should say the book is very well written and put together, this is a winner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Blister Book by Jack Kent Tillar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL