The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Hey I am 16 and I am putting out Lecture notes and a DVD...Cool huh? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have no problem with age of anyone. My problem is with people who simply get excited their first few years in, think they have discovered fire and want to bring it to another tribe.

Turns out that other tribe has a microwave. Then we listen all about how they discovered fire, while it was discovered eons ago. It gets old pretty quick.

This is why people should LEARN before they teach. Then they should learn HOW to teach! 2 different skills. Not likely to be presant in kids each skill.

New magicians who are 40 should NOT DO IT EITHER. I am speaking more, at least for myself, in terms of "magic age". How long have you been performing, heck not even magic PERFORMING? At 16 it is not really possible to have been performing for 15 years now is it?

Magic suffers from toooooooooooooooooooo much techno drama. "Look at how I do this" is not really a great way to entertain a non magic audience.

I think that there MAY be a market for the wiz kid who wants to show off something he thinks he discovered. I think many magicians may actually enjoy things like that in lectures and such. I think many may pay to see it.

But the guy who wants to actually have a career, a guy who actually wants information about entertaining an audience may not be as enthralled. I often forget the other camp exists. Many just want to see the newest (or what they are told is newest) way to do things.

I still think it tends to clutter things up far more than it clears things up, but it is what it is. As long as people percieve a market, it will exist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
If you think that you do have something new. Run it by a trusted "old-timer" in your IBM ring, or SAM assembly. Nine times out of ten. It's been in Genii, or the March 1964 issue of The Linking Ring. Hehehe...

Trey
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
But then so has stigmata and how many different torn and restored card routines are there, and god *** if I see yet another dvd on the ambitious card routine or some variation on chink a chink, it would be bad.

I don't have a problem with young people putting out lecture notes. good on them. fresh blood is always a good thing. what I do have a problem with is the people that should know better who are doing the publishing of them. but the same thing is true of lots of artforms, wunderkinds always are fascinating to us even when they aren't particularly impressive compared to adults in teh same field. so they get put out there as prodigy's and older people make a bunch of money exploiting them and in the end they rarely amount to much. I have a problem with the exploiters, not the exploited. and also with the buck twins.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Hey I am 16 and I am putting out Lecture notes and a DVD...Cool huh? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL