The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where did the 2 days 2 jerks thread go :(? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
There was some good discussion going on there Smile.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It got jerked.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It magically disappeared.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
The original poster made a threat (not credible in my opinion) but a threat none the less to a Member (no real evidence that this person, one of the 2 jerks, was really a member as they weren't named) of the Café. This could possibly be the reason the thread was killed. I would hope the OP would come back and post this again, this time without the threats and requests to duel and let us discuss how to handle those particular situations.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
O.K For the record- Misterbill is right- one of the "jerks" was not a Café member, I made that up. (He was as I understand it a clown/ magician on some level though.)

Although I regret and apologize for making statements filled with such vitriol, anger, and rage my catharsis experiment seems to have worked.

Yesterday I felt very guilty and ashamed about my angry rant.

I performed yesterday with a bit of a feeling of guilt. I was kinder and calmer in front of people than I had been the last few times.

I tried some of the suggestions made by those who responded- (not to take myself too seriously, to try a little self depricating humor etc.) And it made a world of difference. I came to the conclusion that If your not in a good mood when you go out to perform or if you are angry inside- people will subconsiously sense it and feel that you are projecting your greif on them.

I thought about how kind most Café members/ magicians are. Instead of a well deserved attack for statements well beyond the boundries of good taste and civil behavior- You gave advice and support.

When faced with hecklers or jerks (or anyone who wishes to take away one's sense of pride and self respect) for whatever reason, we are forced (as entertainers) to bow out of the situation gracefully. If this causes you anger you need to get rid of it in a constructive manor or it will build up or and either hamper your performances or dampen your experience of "magic" in general.

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

- Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I'm assuming it got pulled due to the threats (meant or not) and the vulgar language.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
So you made up the part about one of the jerks being a Café member?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Yes. Actually, I have no way of knowing if he was or not. If so, I hope he read my message- so that he would have an idea of how upset I was at the time. I hold no grudges and I have stated my case. It is expected that you will run into ignorant people from time to time. It is rare that that somone would be a fellow performer on some level.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-10-29 13:40, cinemagician wrote:
It is rare that that somone would be a fellow performer on some level.

Actually, I have heard this happens more often than you would believe from many pros. I don't think it is any kind "new" trend either, as Dr. Tarbell discusses this very phenomenon in his lesson on ethics in Volume 4 of his course.

We can only speculate as to why a magician would do this to another magician -- jealousy, insecurity, etc. And this could be correct, but as I have never had the desire to do this to any performer, I really don't know why anyone would act like this. I heard a younger magician once say he would do this to another if felt like the others performance "sucked." What a load of baloney, says I. There is no excuse to justify this behavior. I would love to hear from people who actually do this, what their motivations for it are. I'm not talking about laymen calling out guessed methods either, I am talking about magicians who know full well what the method is and telling others around them what is going on during a performance. Why would you ruin the performance of a fellow magician in front of an audience of laymen? Why?
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a bad topic, I thought maybe it was moved or something. I thought it was pretty clear that it was just venting, but I can see how it could have been a problem.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I didn't read all the thread because it didn't interest me but in defense of Mr. Cinemagician he is from New Jersey which is a local where saying 'good morning' comes off as mean to those of use from less barbaric regions of the US (outside the Eastern seaboard above Virginia). We must be sensative to other cultures.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2007-10-29 18:15, MagicSanta wrote:
I didn't read all the thread because it didn't interest me but in defense of Mr. Cinemagician he is from New Jersey which is a local where saying 'good morning' comes off as mean to those of use from less barbaric regions of the US (outside the Eastern seaboard above Virginia). We must be sensative to other cultures.

Haha!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where did the 2 days 2 jerks thread go :(? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL