The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Deleting files with .CPY extenstion in Windows ME -- Help!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Hello, everyone! I hope there are a couple computer whizzes out there who can help me with this problem.

My virus scan program takes almost 6 hours to run because I have accumulated a ton of files with a .CPY extension in the Restore/Temp directory on my hard-drive. I have Windows ME, and have heard that this is a common glitch with this operating system.

How can I delete these .cpy files from the Restore/Temp directory on my hard-drive? I'm assuming that all those files are taking up valuable space on the disk (plus my virus checker shouldn't have to run for 5 or 6 hours as it checks each and every one of those .cpy files!).

Any information would be appreciated or any links to online information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Frank

P.S. We're magicians -- shouldn't there be some magic word or phrase to make those .cpy files disappear at our command??!? Smile
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
create a boot up disk (from the startmenu)

boot up into MSDOS and delete them the old fashioned way.

commands needed

dir (for directory listing)
cd [dir-name] (to go into directory)
del *.cpy (to delete the MF's)
cd .. (thats two dots with a space before them) (to go back up one directory)
cd c: (to goto the root of your C drive)

ohh......

ps...

that MAGIC WORD was "FORMAT c:"

But don't use it unless you want to lose it!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Deleting files with .CPY extenstion in Windows ME -- Help!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL