The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Split backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I am considering adding a different levitation to my program. One which will use a split backdrop. However I do have a concern and hope someone can help me. My concern is that the curtains will move as the assistant rises if the opening is too close and could be seen if it is too wide. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Opening has to be just right, that is why set-up time takes time.

Pin down, or really weight down the bottom corners.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Overlapping spandex panels; mylar strips; deceptive designs; blackart lights... all these are "tricks of the trade" in this area. So you have lots of options and just need to decide what's right for you.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My new curtains are spandex. I don't know what took me so long getting there (46 years?). We do also use mylar. I have never used anything but a panel system.

One of the real added "helps" is selective weighting. Weights at the bottoms are normal. (I prefer chain. It moves but does not telegraph movement.) Selective weighting in mid-curtain (about 4' off the ground) helps control telegraphing lower curtain activity higher up on the curtain.

Try it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Thanks for the reminders! I had at one time milar strips in front of my old backdrop set up. I am hoping that my new curtains, supposedly "quadripple" velvet (which I question,) will be heavy enough. Trial and error to see what works best.

Thanks again!
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

By "heavy" do you mean hanging straight or opaque?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
An other system is to weigh down a tall slender frame behind the curtain and attach same with velcro only allowing three inches to move, along the opening. And make sure the lighting works to your advantage.

A more square frame can be used when you want to go south, through the curtains, without them shaking.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That should work and can be done on location with EMT.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
By heavy I mean that they are so thick, when they hang a gentle breeze wont move them. I might not need to use weights. These are regular black velvet curtains from a local theater and very high quality. Perfect for black art lighting.

I do have a question of what EMT means.

I also like the idea of the small frame to help hold the curtains just around the opening. Again, trial and error for now.

Thanks again.
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

EMT is electrical metal tubing also called conduit. It's cheap (about $3/ 10' piece), easy to work with, very available, and no loss to leave behind. You can get all kinds of joints etc. for it, drill holes in it, paint it or bend it. I keep the joints and the curtains. I use the 3/4" size mostly.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
My velevet drapes have weighted chains for my lev. I also pin them just under the apparatus with a large saftey pin like the ones you use for linking safety pins. (available at most fabric stores.) I also use a second drape about two feet back. I had this made to fit and is the same velvet. I also have some commando cloth backings if I need them. spandexdidnt have enough fullness for me.
I have my soft goods made at rose brand NY they do a great job and by the time I would have achieved the same quality I actually saved money going through them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

That sounds just like those folks in Washington. Spend, Spend, Spend! LOL

I agree that for some purposes the Lycra is too light. Fortunately it doesn't matter in my show.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Hope you folks are geared up for another great Magi-Whirl 2008. Keep us posted.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I have used conduit before to support a portable curtain and off stage area. Great to work with.

Happy Hollidays to everyone!
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Split backdrop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL