The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » New idea/suggestion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
Do you think it would be possible/feasible/reasonable for users to receive emails notifying them that their recent post was responded to? I have this problem of not wanting to go and look through the sight for all the previous posts I made, I simply cannot remember where they all are. Maybe you could post a link in the email to the view topic page? Otherwise many of my posts go unanswered. Just a thought!

Brian
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Brian, this has been asked before but no big deal. If you start the topic, at the bottom of the page you'll see a check box to "notify me by email when replies are posted" There is no funtionality available currently if you haven't started the topic.

If you want to see where you have posted recently, click on you name in the right corner of the page where it says "you are logged on as" or click on your avatar or default bunny. That will take you to your profile where you can click to see posts you have made within the last 30 days. If you want to see posts old than that, go to search in the upper right corner, type in your user name and click "begin search" That will return every post you have made. There are filters on that page if you don't want to see everything you've done.
Where the magic begins
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
Thanks! This is helpful, and I will certainly put this information to good use!

Brian
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
P.S. I don't know how much work would be involved to send an automated email for post updates that I/you/whoever did not start, but I think it would be very useful if you guys could make it work!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm not one of the tech folks so I don't know how much work would be involved. I do know it has been suggested several times in the past and just doesn't get to the top of the list. I'm not sure you would really want what you are asking for anyway.

Suppose you were the 5th poster in the main topic about "Phenomenon" in the magic names forum. There are 1245 posts and having the functionality you are asking about would mean that in a few weeks, you would have received over 1200 emails. Would you really want that?
Where the magic begins
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
Thanks for clearing that up!
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Dave hit pretty close to the mark with his reply. Imagine the load on our email server if even half the members here "subscribed" to every topic in which they posted. That's why you don't have that option here. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » New idea/suggestion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL