The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Duplicity by Joshua Quinn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I've finally gotten around to releasing something that a few folks have been asking about. It's called Duplicity, and it's best described as a "psychologically-themed drawing duplication, turned on its head." For starters, rather than duplicating a spectator's drawing, you have her duplicate your drawing. But the real fun begins after that, when you go back and demonstrate how you allowed her to do it. You repeat what you said to her before she started drawing, and in retrospect, your words are revealed to have been a series of hidden suggestions that precisely describe the very thing she drew -- suggestions which, though they went unnoticed the first time, stand out glaringly and obviously once the audience hears them again. Far from being a let-down, this apparent peek behind the curtain moves the effect out of the realm of the impenetrably inexplicable (and therefore "unacceptable" in many people's eyes), and into the realm of the wholly believable yet still gobsmackingly incredible.

Important points: The effect is accomplished without pre-show, forcing, selecting from a list of any kind, or stooging, instant or otherwise. The spectator's choice of what to draw is completely free, and happens when it appears to. The effect she experiences is the same one that the audience sees, and she is just as astonished by it as they are.

This will a limited release of only 200 copies, available only from me. To find it, just follow the yellow click road...
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
Sounds excellent Quinn. The FAQ on the Duplicity page should answer most people's questions regarding the effect. This will definitely be on my consideration list.
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Sounds good, though Quinn I am INCREDIBLY tempted, I will wait for a review, but sounds great!!!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
I guess its again the language barrier which will prevent me performing this in german language?
What I mean by that is the wordplay.
If its not that case I would be glad to read some reviews about it.

Jerry
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I just bought this; it sounds great.

I know Joshua is a clever guy and I don't want to miss it (since it's a limited edition).

Sean
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
KMan: Remember, it's not just an FAQ; it's the mentalist's version, an FAQ&A!

Jerry: I honestly don't know whether it could be made to work in other languages. My hunch is that it could, but I don't know for sure, and it's possible that it could work in some languages but not others. But I'm making an effort to find out. When I do I'll let you know.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Thanks Quinn.
I appreciate that!

Jerry
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Update: I just spoke to a German-speaking friend about this, and he said yes, it could definitely be adapted to German, and probably any other language as well. I'll have to add this info to the FAQ&A.
Vinzent
View Profile
New user
París, France
98 Posts

Profile of Vinzent
Can be do even in Italian. It requires work. Just one word: it's a fantastic new principle, and I think that Mr. Quinn just found and explain one (great) application, in the millions possibile. Just a word: buy it! Thank Quinn for sharing it.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Thanks for the kind words, Vincenzo. I agree with you that it's a fantastic principle, though it really isn't a new one at all. It just hasn't been used with a drawing duplication until now. But you're right, there are many other possible applications. I've received emails from people talking about using it for book tests, chair predictions, you name it. And I'm very glad you found a way to use it in your language. Have fun with it!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have been mystifying quite a few recently by performing effects by email. I gather - but please correct me if I am wrong - it is possible to perform a version of Duplicity over the phone. For those who know the effect, would it also be possible to perform by email eg perhaps sending a scan of what you had drawn to the person you were in correspondence with after instructing them to what to do?
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Im INDONESIAN, I have this....and YES this can be adapted to any language.....even Swahili......it is not on the Language...it is the Psycology behind the effect that make this work.......I plan to use this in a pice that I'm working on right now......I will use this with "Reggression" as a presentational Theme.....I just finish read this 1st time...Hope to write a review AFTER I try this out many times Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Duplicity by Joshua Quinn (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL