The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to approach people (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I like to:

A: Busk in locations where busking is allowed and expected
B: Look like a magician
C: Approach the most likely candidates first; People with children, young and hip people, people who appear open and happy.
D: Avoid people with Retail Zombie Face. These are the people who seem to have been beaten up by their tourist experience.

I use several approaches, sometimes self effacing. Always non threatening and warm. Always polite if they choose to keep moving. If they have kids I don't ask "would you like to see a magic show" as this is a closed ended question that gives them the opportunity to just say no. Instead I will say "I bet your kid would love to see some magic. It will only take a few minutes and doesn't cost a thing." This is technically true as they are not required to tip.

Once I'm engaged and performing the audience builds itself, though I will still solicit early in the act if I need more bodies.

A simple fact I have discovered is that when more people are watching other people feel comfortable stopping and watching. You just have to get the ball rolling and retain their interest until the end.
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
I always just start off with, have you seen a magic trick today?
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
Another good one is, want me to blow your mind? Sometime however that gets a creeped out look if you are performing for a girl, until you pull out your cards.
lifeofwonder
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of lifeofwonder
Any of you guys into the PUA scene? Plenty of great material out there to help with approaching and performing in bars / clubs.
Jade Ferrer
View Profile
New user
Philippines
61 Posts

Profile of Jade Ferrer
I usually start and approach people who I think are not busy. Through experience I learned that the first words you say are the most important. I applied some principles of the PUA-Style Approach.

1.) Use a false-time constraint, I. E. ("This is going to be quick," "I won't take so much of your time," "Let me have a minute with you."

2.) Spark interest, I. E. ("I wanna show you something crazy, cool, or awesome, or fun. (Depending on what comes out naturally for you)"

3.) State your intent, I. E. ("Don't worry it's not going to cost you your soul. Hahaha. (Said in a humorous manner)," "Don't worry, I won't bite. (Again, said in a humorous manner.)," "Don't worry, it's for free. (As direct as it gets, it works for almost everyone)."

A sample introduction would be, "Hey guys. How are you doing? (This usually gets a dull moment due to their startled state nevertheless wait for them to respond. If they don't respond after 6 seconds move on) What are you guys up to? (Again wait for the response, genuinely listen to your spectator it helps in building rapport and make them accept you in the group)That's wonderful! (Say this or any other appropriate positive adjective you can say, no matter what they are doing. It conditions them to have a good time) By the way, I am [State your name], I recently learned something interesting and I wanna show it to all of you. Don't worry, it won't cost you your soul or anything! Hahahaha. (Notice how I don't hold any props or anything, I want to impart the feeling of spontaneity, but it usually works when you have something in your hand. Some or if not most people love magic and they realize it when you're holding out playing cards.) And then you proceed to bringing out your props and voila you're done for that set of people!
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
You just have to fight those nerves, it's the only way you will get used to performing for strangers.

Zak
Magidoc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magidoc
Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-7oSmIkOc

Compliment, Introduce, Question

Michael
Magidoc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magidoc
This is more of a gag but still works! Disturb reality https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoD......r-XZ3T1s

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to approach people (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL