The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
My Research on Music for Magicians. I wanted to know how to apply music to my Magic and Magic Show.

• 1. Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures for Magicians
  • 2. Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians
  • 3. Richard Allen's Music for Magicians
  • 4. Jeff Hensley's More Music for Magicians
  • 5. The Music of Lance Burton
  • 6. Arthur Stead Music for Magicians

Many, many years ago I got clips of Classical music, used music like 2001 Space Odyssey for the Zombie, or Star Wars when it was first popular. Since these musical clips had legal copyrights, I could not do my act for TV or Professional Stage work. They didn't fit perfectly but they were good, better than nothing.

I purchase Lance Burton CD recently, and played it at least a hundred times because it has great music for illusionists. His Video is also good and you can see the change he did with the music in the Video. Well, that music is his and copyrighted so its doubtful he will let you use it.

In my quest to find good royalty free music, I came across Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians. There are four volumes, each different, and each are great clips of music, but I didn't understand how to use them. Some could be immediately used other were only short clips.

Along came Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures $100.00 CD, Should I chance it? Well after a call to Gary, I was advised to purchase his $50 book and cassette tape related to the subject of developing music, and the CD, royalities, and other copyright and legal stuff. Well, that booklet was very enlighting, and felt it was worth the money because I learned more from that book then anything else. He explained how music for magicians was designed, and how to use it professionaly. He demonstrated how he combined Richard Waynes music for a magic act. I learned words about music I never knew, Dromes, Soundscapes, Hits and Effects, and Production Music. A $150 educational lesson on designing music for magicians. To me I was satified for what I learned. My work was cut out for me.

After the education lesson, I replayed Lance Burton's CD and understood how it was done.

My son at college played a lot of "trance" type music which was developed the Gary Ouellet way. I got an education from my son on computer music design programs, which combined the clips, repeats of clips backgound drone sounds, all done through computer software, such as Acid, and Sound Forge. These programs are needed to combine the textures and sounds from Richard Waynes and Gary Ouellet supplied music clips, to creat an original work musical art for the particular act (illusion) you decide to do.

The following links educate you on the area of adding music to your act:
Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures for Magicians
Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians
Opus Production Page
ShowPro Theater Music Software
Virtual Soundman
Showtech
Remote Control Show Excellent Information
Music Magic
Music for Magicians & Jugglers
Arthur Stead Music for Magicians

Music is like Magic, it is individual, and I own the above CDs. I like Richard Waynes stuff and I learned a lot from Gary Ouellet's Material. I bought music which will be thrown into the drawer because I don't think I could ever use it. To weird, or to old fashion, just like buying useless magic.

I hope this post is informative.
Dennis Michael
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Thanks Dennis. It is obvious the amount of time and effort you have put into the subject of music for magic shows. I have noticed that mentalists are beginning to use music in their acts, e.g. Binarelli, Karges, etc.. It is an area that needs to be studied, and you have been kind enough to share your research. Thanks again.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
Of course, having a live jazz trio jamming quietly while you work has it's distinct advantages.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Hey everyone. I just thought this was a great post. Thanks Dennis for all the great info.
Jerrid
MagiTracks
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
115 Posts

Profile of MagiTracks
Hello Dennis,

Just wanted to toss my hat into the ring!

I'm a classically-trained musician AND magician, and I specialize in composing original, royalty-free music for magicians. Many Café members are familiar with my work through my former company (Sleight-of-Sound Productions), and I also have personal endorsements from Jeff McBride, Franz Harary, Amos Levkovitch and other top magicians.

Anyways...our new name (MagiTracks.com) might not have appeared on your search results, so I wanted to mention that we're here and ready to serve the magic community!

Best wishes and Happy Conjuring,

Steve Saunders
"The Conjuror's Composer"
http://www.MagiTracks.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Thanks,

I forwarded your comments to Mark Daniel of KIDabra because Royalty Free music is so important to the Children Entertainment Business.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Hi Dennis,

Glad you are back. I had heard you were traveling.

I personally believe that what can bring a show to the next leval is not new tricks but adding texture and depth to the show. Things like a backdrop, lighting, AND MUSIC go a long way to making your show more professional. People are used to sound tracks in all their entertainment. Adding a good soundtrack to your show can help set a mood, establish pacing, and give audio queues to the audiance.

well done again,
See you @ Kidabra

Bruce
aka: jaythemagician.com
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Dennis, thanks for the compliment on my website. After seeing this topic pop back up, I took at look at the site...and somehow Tripod had decided to shut it down. I've put it back up and updated some of the info.

Jeff
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I would add Nathan Roberts to this list. He is a lecturer at kidabra also.

http://www.nathanjroberts.com
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Hey, everyone. This website has some good music http://www.arthurstead.com The only problem there is, is they don't take credit cards or PayPal. I like some of the music, but I don't feel like gambling with my money because you have to send them money first. I called them the other day and asked if he could put them on eBay for me so I could use PayPal, but that didn't happen. I wish there was a way to get his music with a credit card or something.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Arthur Stead is well-known to the community and is a stand-up guy. He's lectured at some of the conventions. You're not sending money off to some untrustworthy person. So if you like one of his CDs, go for it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Jerrid -

I agree with Jeff.

Also, I've bought a CD from Arthur Stead, through the mail, by sending a US money order in advance. No problems whatsoever. I emailed first to let him know the payment / order was coming, and he kept in great communication with me throughout the transaction. He and Leslie are super.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

By-the Way, I do own all of Arthur Stead products except Star Closer, which I will buy at KIDabra from Duane Laflin this year. Arthur is one of the finest composers for Audio-interacting music and a dear friend.

He wrote "Bunny Love" for me, and it is a great effect using Duane Laflin's Routine.

I've updated the first post written in 2002 to include Arthur's Music for Magicians web site, which is http://www.ArthurStead.com
Dennis Michael
lt
View Profile
New user
US
50 Posts

Profile of lt
I love the Arthur Stead collection!
papachico
View Profile
New user
belgium
66 Posts

Profile of papachico
I have a hard disk full of entertainment music, in europe you can have this music free but you have to fill in a sabam document every show to give the rights to the authors ! normal ! papa chico belgium
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I create custom music for performers. I have done so for a few members here on the Café.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Bill has made music for me. It is fantastic. I still am trying to get some video of my act with it.
-Matt
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
These are useful resource for a a mgician like me.
I am looking for a comedy music for my show. Does anyone know any link?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Arthur Stead's Performance CD may have some clips that can be used as comedy.
Dennis Michael
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
Here is a link that shows music links from a music share site
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl......&prev=hp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL