The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
It was Kaymar Magic in Billericay, Essex, England. Founded by one of my magic heroes, Harry Baron.

It was an absolute treasure trove. And Harry was the kindest wizard.

I ended up working there on occasional Saturdays. I loved looking after the stock and occasionally demo’ing. I helped move the magic from a big shed near Harry’s art shop (the shed served as the magic shop: not exactly bricks-and-mortar, more wood and metal] to a shop on the High Street.

This was in the mid 1980s.

Somewhere I have photographs of the Kaymar magic cabin. If I find them, I will post them on the Café!
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
My buddy Bruce Calver had a magic shop here in RI for a number of years. But sadly with not a lot of magicians here in RI... We move on to the what was the biggest around here... and that would be Hank Lee's Magic Factory. I remember driving up to Boston every 2 weeks to see my friends Steve, Skip, Bob.. and it was always a fun time. Hank's conclaves were not to be missed... Now the old-timers here will know the back story here.. It was sad to see him go. But some great memories.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
LeoTheJet
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of LeoTheJet
The Wunderground in Royal Oak Michigan. This was my 2nd parlay into magic (the first being at age 6 with the Hat O’ Magic). I had just been to a 4th of July party with a magician (his name was Michael Mode. He co-created the trick Caugh Red Handed).

The next day I begged my mom to find a magic shop and we found the Wunderground. And behind the front desk? Michael Mode. It was crazy.

I bought a hot rod, an invisible deck and a Svengali deck that day.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On May 1, 2023, LeoTheJet wrote:
The Wunderground in Royal Oak Michigan. This was my 2nd parlay into magic (the first being at age 6 with the Hat O’ Magic). I had just been to a 4th of July party with a magician (his name was Michael Mode. He co-created the trick Caugh Red Handed).

The next day I begged my mom to find a magic shop and we found the Wunderground. And behind the front desk? Michael Mode. It was crazy.

I bought a hot rod, an invisible deck and a Svengali deck that day.

That place is still great to go in to. I just wish I could make it in there more often.
jo.sh
View Profile

Maui
0 Posts

Profile of jo.sh
When I lived on the mainland, in San Francisco, I loved Misdirections Magic Shop. Joe, the owner, was great! Really helped me learn the basics and get off the ground.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Archie's Fun Shop in Pasadena, TX. The great Bill Palmer has written about it here in several posts. If I'd have known he and Paul Driscoll were hanging around there I would have tried to go more often. As it turned out, I only went there a few times in the mid 70s when my best friend's mom took us to see his grandmother, who lived in an apartment complex behind or near the shop. He was also into magic.
Man, what a place. I only remember going there 3-4 times although he I'm sure went more.

I remember one time, Zig-Zag Girl was on all the TV shows and I desperately wanted to know how it was done. The guy behind the counter talked to me about it and said, just think about it...think about if you were the girl in the box, how would you be positioned....and I sort of twisted my side and he said "you're pretty close" which I thought was ridiculous at the time. Ha! He then gave me a pre-printed piece of paper that said something like "for all the great magical secrets revealed, dial this number!" and the number was coded in letters, something like 800-JKL-QGEB and of course there is no Q on a dial phone. Curses!!!
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Circa 1970 or so: The Trick and Puzzle Store on First Avenue in downtown Seattle. A real vintage vibe, to be sure.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
First shop I ever visited was Tannens in NY. Then a couple of others in india when visiting family - Tayade's Magic Shop and Patil Magic
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Al's Magic Shop in Washington, D.C. in 1968.
bubc
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of bubc
Don't have my own but tannen's magic shop is cool
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL