The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Right-handed Deck Holder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
I have a question:

I'm right-handed and I hold a deck of cards in my right hand...Is that normal? A lot of tutorials say to hold it in your left hand so you can use your right hand to do the tricky stuff, but when I do that, it doesn't feel right! Smile
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It is more a matter of preference than anything else. Plenty of left handed magicians. Many a right handed person is actually a left handed person who was taught to be right handed, which may be your case. Card tricks work either right or left handed, you just have to move in the opposite direction of the right hander.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Before I started studying magic I used to hold the deck in my right hand as well.
In my first magic book, TRRTCM, it was suggested to hold the deck in your left hand. I thought that is the correct way to do it, I had no clue that it really does not matter. Take Lee Asher as an example;) I started studying card magic holding the deck in my left hand and after a while it just felt right. Don't put yourself through that, I just did not know at the time.
There is nothing wrong in holding the deck in your right hand when performing.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Thanks for the advice! You've put my worries to sleep! Smile
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
The funny thing is I am a right handed person, but for some tricks I am a left handed magician.
Have you Amazed?
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That's a new one Ray, hehe! Since I started practicing using my left hand, I stopped feeling comfortable using my right hand.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 18:41, Matt Malinas wrote:
That's a new one Ray, hehe! Since I started practicing using my left hand, I stopped feeling comfortable using my right hand.

-Matt

I can see by your picture! ^.^
acetucker
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of acetucker
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm also right handed, and sometimes catch myself holding the deck in my right hand. Also, I learned to hold my thumb fan or pressure fan in my right hand, but none of the numbers show.

Notice, in matt's pic, the fan is in his left hand, and the numbers ARE showing.

I say just do whatever is comfortable for you if it only affects the trick/sleight in very trivial ways. Sometimes, it is good to learn a trick/sleight both right handed, and left handed, so you don't have to suspiciously shift your body position in order to get the spec at the correct angle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Right-handed Deck Holder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL