The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Tricky Buisness Situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Hi Folks - we had an odd situation occur last weekend. Hear this out...

A year ago - we were asked by a company, a local farm (they do banquets and other things there) to do a Christmas event they are having. They do free admission to the public and charge for food and sleigh rides etc... Well - they wanted us to do the event for free. This wasn't a charity event or for a good cause not to mention we had already done our number of free events last year that we were going to do. They understood.

Well they called us this year and wanted us to perform for 2 days. My buisness partner and I both know someone there and since they called us last year, and were excited to have us, we conceded and charged them our Private rate (as opposed to the Buisness\Corp. rate). Hell - we had the dates open. They then asked us for an extra hour both days (for free) which we weren't going to do, then they offered us a 100$ gift certifercate each (so 2 of them). We accepted. OK Done deal.

Well - Mike (my biz partner) and his fianc'e went to the show Saturday. As soon as they formed the line and Mike started doing the balloons his line filled up. He was without a doubt, the most popular attraction they had. His line lasted so long he didn't finish until almost an extra hour longer than scheduled.

As soon as they saw how popular his line of people were, the people from the farm told him he needs to take 2 tickets per balloon sculpture he handed. (2 tickets = 2$)

So...not only did they get about 300$ off the normal rate (which yes, we agreed to. Sometimes, we like to do a favor and garner some good buisness relationships. We were fine with it). But then, they start charging every customer 2$ per balloon. And here's what burns me even more. THEY DIDN'T EVEN ASK!

He went through 800-1000 balloons (figure 2-5 per sculpture).

I feel they took serious advantage of us on this. I am performing the second agreed to day on Sunday, but thankfully am only doing magic, no balloons. I think I'm going to get in and get out.

We've talked about it, and may wish to send a letter afterwards regarding the situation. Not sure yet though...or even how to say it if we do.

What do you guys think?

They were well aware we were doing them a favor, they were getting a big discount, then decided to without asking directly make money, per piece, for what we were there for.

If I had known ahead of time of any company planning on doing that, they'd be paying more than the normal corporate rate, let alone a discount!

Looking forward to your thoughts (or bashing).

Thanks.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Lesson learned. Don't give discounts unless you get something equal in return.

Lesson Learned. balloon factory is not performing anyways...it's pushing product.

Lesson learned. End at the time you agreed to. I personally have no problems ending a line. I never allowed people to see how many balloons I had so I could always pull out an empty bag to say "all gone". Or I just say I have other obligations. Unless it's in the contract that you get overtime pay, don't go overtime (sure if you can give a few extra minutes, but you just wasted your time and money for product while you got nothing.

I wouldn't send a letter. Just make better business decisions in the future. Them charging for balloons is not a big deal (heck you could've twisted slower), except in the fact the procedures were not discussed beforehand. You were paid by them (for an agree amount) to twist balloons. Whether or not customers had to pay in not your concern. In fact, I would have had one of their personel take the tickets and not me (you can also use this person to cut the line when your time is done).
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Look at it from this point of view.
The line was so long, so they decided to shorten the line a bit by charging more.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Bill- some good info\advice there thanks.

Cutting the line is something that we should discuss with the clients ahead of time and probably include in the agreements.

I don't believe however that charging others directly (other than admission) is something that should be disclosed prior to an event. They changed this after we began. If we had known this information, they wouldn't have recieved the pricing we agreed to.

Again - I'm not unhappy we gave a discount. Sometimes, some people have budgets. As long as we're comfortable, and if we have the date available, and the client is aware this is a discount for this event this time they are recieving, we're willing to work with them. I just felt they disregarded some proper buisness practice there.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I too would chalk it up to a learning experience. You agreed to do your thing for a certain period of time and for a certain price - so they were completely fair with you and what you agreed upon. But, I too would have cut off the line and left when time was up.

Live and learn.
Merry Christmas!
Chad
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Again though Mak, how would you have felt if you would have charged your normal fee?

A discount says: I am not really worth the amount I usually charge and you lose some credibility and status. Unless of course if you get something that is of value to you back in return for that discount (the gift certificates like you already did).

I personally don't understand the whole corporate rate and private rate. My rates are the same for the same service no matter what. What are you doing different for a corporation than a private function? It's this inconsistancy that can cause problems. Don't have a private rate, have a private package that is obviously not as good as a corporate package (but don't call it a private package though...call it The Family package or whatever).
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I knew a performer who always said: “I have no friends!”
That way when someone said: “I want a discount, I’m a friend of XXX.”
They could answer: “XXX has no friends.”

Well, in that way, in this business, I have no friends either.
My rate is may rate because that’s my rate.

I don’t think I ever “made a deal” that in the long run,
helped me, or my marketing, or made me more money.
Somehow the “great deal” always benefited the other guy,
far more than it benefited me.

So, my overall lesson learned:
No deals.
This is what my show is worth.

I strongly believe in giving back and doing meaningful work,
or organizations I admire and want to support,
but that’s giving back, not making a deal.

OK, so call me a Scrooge….
My thoughts,
Walt
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Scrooge...

I also agree with giving back. Charity for me is not being asked to give, but to give by my own thought without being asked.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I hate it when people say 'Lesson learnt', because truth is, we will all probably make the same mistake again.
The people out there are pro hustlers, better than us Magicians, and no matter how smart we get, they will always Be there to catch us when were at our weakest.

In the situations above, I stay for 10 minutes past my deadline, at 2 minutes past, I put the balloons away and just keep a handful on display. Once the people in front of me have gone, I tell the people further down the line that these are my last balloons and I can't promise that everyone will get one. Once I give those away I tell the rest that all the balloons have gone.

Think of it this way, none of those people cared about you enough to ask for your card, so do you care about them to give them a free balloon at your expense?
The client obviously didn't care for you, since you were the main attraction and he hustled you down in price.
So do what your paid for, and that's it. A few spectators will dislike not getting a balloon but that's not your problem, that's the clients for not hiring you for longer.

Don't bother with the letter, it will just cause you bad publicity later. If it makes you feel any better, I have to do a show on the cheap, on Christmas day, due to a clerical error. I then found out its for a restaurant charging £60 per head! Its a similar situation since I know I'm being taken advantage of, in regards to how much I'm getting paid. But the price was quoted and they made the booking. No matter how much I dislike it, I will do my job as an entertainer and fulfil my end of the contract.

Steve
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I said "lesson learNED" LOL

It's true that we can get swindled again. But with following the advice giving you lessen your chances of the same swindle.

I recently made the mistake of trusting a regular employer (even though past experience has taught me not to trust bar owners). Well I got screwed. It was a slightly different scenario where they did sign a contract and all, but it's a small claims court thing and bar owners know(if you don't know then find out about small claims courts)

My lesson. I am dealing with a bar owner and enforcing my usual contract (as opposed to a regular gig contract). The usual one states full payment 7 days before performance date, not to mention a retainer fee at the time of booking. I won't let this one slide. If the bar owner doesn't like that, then I move on. I won't put myself into that situation again. I can't say I won't ever get taken advantage of again, I just know that I am sticking with my one type of contract for all types of gigs, no ifs ands or buts. I am protecting myself. I won't let that same situation happen again.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
You got worked! No body like it, but it happens. I agree with the other posts. Learn from it and move on. UNLESS... this really was a Friend! Then I'd have a talk with my "friend."
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Tricky Buisness Situation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL