The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Use of fire: Yes or no?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Hey guys--

I've never played around with flash paper or fire effects, but stumbled upon Jay Sankey's in a flash and am very tempted to purchase it.

How do people generally react to fire?

Is it generally safe to use in close-up situations (walkaround, etc...)

I think this would be a great addition to my walkaround routine.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
That trick is fantastic, simple and very clean. People seem to go nuts for fire, almost irrationally.

Its safe as long as your are sensible. Its perfect for walking around - quick reset.

A note though; I haven't seen the instructions from Sankey. To be honest, I saw him perform the trick and then worked on a version myself - I think the handling is very close. It was kind of a pain in the ass to get the gimmick ready, so its almost definitely worth purchasing the set with the DVD.

People really do go nuts for this easy trick. I'm not sure exactly what Sankey uses - I think its just normal flash pad sheets. I found it was a little easier if you used custom-cut sheets of FP.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
If you are going to do fire in a walk around venue, get the permission from the venue. And then make sure that you have sufficient insurance to cover any accidents.

Don't believe that nothing bad can happen. It certainly can, and just might. So use proper precautions.

There are also other ways to simulate the effect of fire (not for this effect...but for others) so you can also consider using a Fism Flash or similar in places where a simple flash would be a good alternative and much safer.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
You need more than permission from the venue. You need fire marshal approval. Around here, that involves a demonstration of the effects, inspection of the venue (For a fee) and paid permits for every performance.
Do some research in the area you intend to perform. Perform with fire without the blessing of the fire marshall, and you could face some seriously stiff fines.
I do it if I am doing anything more than lighting a match.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Use of fire: Yes or no?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL