The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
It's basically the routine and handling you'll be paying for. It's the same methodology as it's been for the past 100 years. The rings have just been made to accommodate the routine better.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I just had the pleasure of watching Shoot's teacher, Mashiro Yanagida, perform the Ninja Rings routine at Hollywood Magic. He was at the shop browsing along with several of his students (Shoot was off participating in the filming of a commercial for a local Japanese business). Just for fun, a couple of guys at the shop tried to perform the routine using a cheaper set of small close up rings. Without a doubt the higher quality Japanese rings make the routine much better. Buy the DVD and a set of the rings and you'll have an amazing, perfectly constructed routine that you will use for the rest of your life!
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
But is it in the capibility of every person to make it look as good as in the demo? I'd love to do a trick as smooth as I saw in the demo but it just looked too good.

What I'm looking for is someone to say that they bought the set and with BLANK amount of time had a brilliant piece to perform which looked as magical as the demo.

Any takers?
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Hi Everybody,

If I get the Ninja Ring Routine and Can I apply this routine to 12" linking ring !!!

Thanks reading!!!!

Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2003-03-16 04:46, ns wrote:
But is it in the capibility of every person to make it look as good as in the demo? I'd love to do a trick as smooth as I saw in the demo but it just looked too good.

What I'm looking for is someone to say that they bought the set and with BLANK amount of time had a brilliant piece to perform which looked as magical as the demo.

Any takers?

I'm sure the time it would take would be different from person to person. I think it is obvoius this routine will take a good deal of practice to perform well. As long as you aren't adverse to conerted practice, why does it matter? Smile
Click to visit:
Roman Gabriel
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Roman Gabriel
I received my order of rings and DVD on Friday from Bob Kohler.
I highly recommend this to anyone!
As far as the average person being able to do this. I don't see why not. It is well within the grasp of anyone in the world who practices. It's like any trick. The more you practice, the more magical it will look.
The DVD has Shoot perform his brilliant routine, and explains it move by move. Very good teacher.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
No one is answering the question: Is this routine different from the Dan Fleshman routine?
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Quote:
On 2003-03-16 20:05, VernonOnCoins wrote:
No one is answering the question: Is this routine different from the Dan Fleshman routine?

I agree with veron that no one is answering to the question that we ask ?

Ponders ???? Smile Smile Smile

Hope so one would give use some answer...

Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Why don't you guys ask Bob Kohler yourself? He occasionally posts on this magic forum as well as other magic forums.

From what I understand Dan Fleshman and Reed McClintock have Linking ring routines based on Mr. Yanagida's routine and have incorporated some of the same handlings.

I know that Reed's is different from Mr. Yanagida's, I have his Defiance manuscript and it's different than Shoot's demo video. It's a different routine and handling of the linking rings, but in the end, it's the same effect. (Let's talk about something just as redundant, let's talk about all the piece-by-piece torn & restored Cards on the market.)

KC
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2003-03-12 09:27, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Is there a major difference in "Shoots version" and Dan Fleshmans? Dans comes with 8 - 5" rings and a video for only $35 and is also a version of Mr Yanagidas "Ninja Rings" - I would be interested in seeing a comparison of each before deciding which to buy. (like the Hundy 500 vs Slow Burn and other similar effects that seem to come out together).

Like the torn and restored card - there are a few versions coming out at the same time, Is Reeds also soon to be released or out already? I would like to see a comparison so I can make an informed decision before spending 60some dollars. What are the differences in the routines (I have seen both Dan's and Shoot's demos and they both look magical in different settings). What is the difference in the ring size and quality? I have a cheap set of 5" rings already can I do Shoots routine if I buy only the DVD or do the 4 and 1/2" rings make a move possible that a 5" ring can't do? What size and quality are the rings that come with Dan's video? What ring set does Reed use?
Just shopping for some info before buying (and leaning toward buying the DVD and practicing with my cheap 5"ers if possible.)
Stay magical, Stay current and Stay informed. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Poof,

See this thread on the Genii forum for the reason why you'll likely not see Reed's routine anytime soon. 'Tis a shame - I saw Reed's demo video and feel that his handling is a great addition to the rings legacy. Maybe he'll consider re-releasing Defiance after the furor over Ninja rings dies down - here's hoping...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Both Shoot and his teacher are very particular about the quality and size of the rings. Get the Ninja Rings and eliminate any questions about the difficulty, etc. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I've seen both Dan Fleshman's and Shoot's routine(Dan's on tape, Shoot's live multiple times and on tape) and they are different.

Both routines are based on the same moves, taught to both Dan and Shoot by Masahiro Yanagida.

Dan's routine uses 8 rings, Shoot's only uses 4. I believe Dan uses 6" rings and Shoot uses 4.5" rings. I personally find that smaller rings are easier to use. Smile

While Dan's routine is good, the routine on Shoot's DVD is "lightyears" ahead in my opinion. Shoot's technique is flawless, and everything is taught clearly. Big kudos to Mr. Kohler for this. There is no reason anyone could not learn Shoot's routine if they put in the effort to practice.

If you want to buy a Ninja Ring routine, get Shoot's and a nice set of rings. If you can't afford them, Dan's routine comes with the rings required and would be cheaper then buying both the rings and Shoot's DVD. I highly recommend Shoot's DVD over Dan's, though.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
It would be impossible to properly do the whole routine with 12 inch rings. Many of the moves depend on the small size of the rings.

Granted some of the moves could be applied to larger rings but the 4.5 rings are just plain perfect.

Someone asked if it was the ring or the technique. I'd have to say technique, true there is a key ring as with all linking ring sets, but what sets this apart is the advanced handling of the key ring to make it totally invisible.

The routine is so well constructed that even when you know a key is being used it still looks impossible.

You won't master this overnight, or even in a week, this is one routine that will take weeks (perhaps months)of steady practice to get it to look as smooth as the demo. It's within the range of the average person, but still you must be willing to put in the time to master it.

If you can't invest this time, you might as well stick with just a standard ring routine.

Just my 2 cents

Devin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just about everyone I hang out with in Hollywood is currently working on the Ninja rings. The basic move is relatively easy to do, but some of the moves, such as the one hand link, will take time and perserverance. Shoot practically broke his pinky working on that move alone... but that' s the kind of intense practice he will put in. Believe me, this routine makes it look like they must be special rings even though they are not. I've now seen Shoot perform it hundreds of times and it never ceases to mystify me how clean it looks... even when you know what's happening. And the work on the ring never stops as I had the pleasure of watching Yanagida last night do some moves with them that just floored me.
As for anyone being able to do them... it takes practice. I'm already starting to see a couple of guys who have added it to their sets and they are getting good responses from their audiences. But they all admit that it requires a lot of practice and they suffer from painful pinkies from the one hand link.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
symattrix.. i will try to ans your question. The Linking rings are JUST like any any other set. i mean the principle is the same... but the application is good. And some of the moves are difficult. The combination of these makes it a great piece of magic... i also am having trouble with the one handed link.... argh!!! back to practice... this is a long term inverstmen.

regds
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL