The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help, How do I twirl my Wand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I just ordered a custom Magical Wand, and I am going to need to know how to twirl it. It now is easy for me to do the coin knuckle roll, so now it's twirling the wand.

Where can I find information on this?

Thanks
Keith
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Your best resource:

Michael Ammar's DVD "The Complete Cups & Balls", Volume 2: Advanced Wand Vanishes: Through the Fist; Through the Hand # 2; The Mora/Vernon Wand Spin; the Striking Vanish(David Williamson) and the Drummer´s Spin.

Besides all that, you have on the DVD a treasure chest of techniques for the Cups and Balls.

Good luck.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I just placed an order for the Micheal Ammar C&B Vol. 2 and some sponge balls. Hopefully they will all arrive on the same day that I get my new Wand.

Here is a web site for Pen spinning (pentrix.com). Pen spinning looks cool, but hard to do. I tried with pencil in my dry hands and the pencil kept slipping out of my hand. Also, while twirling the pencil I would always come to the end of the pencil which looked like I did not have a clue as to what I was doing. The video on this web site shows a lot of fancy fast stuff, makes me wonder if I will ever get there.

Thanks for all the help
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
I learned pen spinning with Pentrix. In the beginning I don't fully agree with their explanations but it helped a lot. It took me three months exactly to master it, I mean doing it ten times in a row without having to crawl under the table to get my pen back, working exactly 10 minutes a day, with a timer, five days a week.

The good news is, once your brain has made the connections it needs to perform this kind of move (nine months for me) , it goes a hundred times faster to get the next move.

Last month , I was able, (within a couple of hours) to find a way to twirl my wand the "coin walk" way, and to execute it ten times without dropping it...
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
If you can coin roll, you are going to pick up the wand spin in about 2 minutes! Don't worry! The procedure is more difficult to explain than to actually do...

Also, there are about a million different ways to spin a wand. It's more of a Knack than a Move, if you get my meaning.

Just play with your wand till it does what you want it to do

Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Stand with your feet shoulder width, hands on your hips, flex your legs and....

(Oops! Wrong one!!!!)

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
Gaddy, two minutes? I envy you! How long have you been involved in magic? For me it's about nine months... But I'm pretty sure I'm not gifted!
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-07 11:17, gillesA4 wrote:
Gaddy, two minutes? I envy you! How long have you been involved in magic? For me it's about nine months... But I'm pretty sure I'm not gifted!

haha- quicker than that if my "audience" is particularly attractive...

Actually I was referring to someone who can already do a coin roll. I doubt spinning a wand will take much time for them to master. It took me a good couple of months to be able to do a wand spin item production too...

I started doing magic as a kid, and got back into it 2 years ago after taking a 20 year break...

Now I wonder why I ever got out of it in the first place!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
sdorshan
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of sdorshan
I think he's referring not to a wand spin as in a vernon wand spin, but as in a flourish. Like pen spinning. Being able to roll a coin doesn't help much with that.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Not true. A typical drummer's spin is very much like a coin roll over the knuckles- and also, there is a wand cascade roll that, essentially *is* a coin roll.

The production I refer to is taken from Cellini's "The Royal Touch" book, not Vernon's Cups and Balls.

Vernon's thing is more like a majorette's baton twirl, anyhow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help, How do I twirl my Wand? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL