The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2003 entrée: Randy Wakeman » » Frank Garcia: "The Big Fella" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Frank Garcia was a dear friend. Though this little article was published in the Garcia issue of a now-defuct magazine, I'm taking bit of liberty here to share my feelings about . . .

THE BIG FELLA

Frank Garcia was one of the last of a special, yet wonderful breed of full-time professional magicians. “The Man With The Magic Hands” was a distinguished master of so many levels of Magic, he loved Magic intensely, and he devoted his entire life to the pursuit of its multi-faceted intricacies. Who else but Frank Garcia could effortlessly morph into the character of a gambling expert, a lecturer, a magic shop manager, a manipulative stage showman, a cruise ship entertainer, an inventor, an author, a publisher, and even magic’s own “Reginald van Gleason III” or the “Poor Soul”? Cards, coins, billiard balls, linking rings, con games, and cigarette manipulation- seemingly nothing was beyond Frank’s formidable grasp.

An unforgettable close-up performer, Frank could work the trade show booth and private engagements like no other. He gained renown for his achievements as a cruise ship performer, his “Gambling Investigator” efforts, his platform, television, and stage work, his skill as a lecturer, and his tremendously popular publishing efforts. When it comes to quality information per page, few offerings to the fraternity have approached the lasting value of Frank’s “Million Dollar Card Secrets” and “Super Subtle Card Miracles.” Stand up manipulation performers and close-up enthusiasts alike owe a debt of gratitude and respect for this man who loved his audiences deeply; and they, in turn, loved him back even more. Few men can set a room on fire with their presence, but Frank certainly could! When Frank was at his best, no performer could possibly exceed the reaction garnered from the crowd. The phrase that “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” certainly applied to the Fabulous Frank. I looked up “charisma” and “star quality” in the dictionary, and I could have sworn it said, “see Frank Garcia.”

A wonderful gagster and storyteller, you never really knew what that playful twinkle in Frank’s eye was going to bring about! Some may have seen or heard of Frank’s Lighthouse Gag, his strikingly accurate and funny Cary Grant and James Mason impressions, and countless other zany bits that seemed impossible to come from a gentleman with such apparently conservative inclinations. Frank wore the mantle of magic long, and he wore it well. Frank Garcia truly was “As Good As The Best, and Better than the Rest.”

Frank was extremely clever with his choice and implementation of material, using expert magical judgment has seldom been equaled in my experience. Despite his daunting moniker, Frank had a deep understanding of his personal strengths and weaknesses, and exploited only his strengths to the highest degree. Like all of us, Frank had technical strengths and limits-- he was in tune so thoroughly with his personal abilities that he wisely displayed his strongest attributes alone. There is much to be learned from the study of Frank’s wise, strategic implementation of his considerable skills.

It stands as lasting testimony to the unflappable professionalism of Frank Garcia to be able to watch him think on his feet during his “taped live” appearance on the David Susskind Show. Though presented with difficult conditions (and perhaps even a more difficult host), Frank pulled off the show, leaving everyone amazed, delighted, and thoroughly entertained. Such was the talent of this broad-tossing, three-shell gaming, “marked cards and loaded dice” Giant of Magic.

I am both humbled and heartened to be able to speak of my friend Frank; a more loyal and sincere comrade I have never had. Frank often chuckled as he finished his gags with, “Ahh, that was just my little contribution to the tapestry of life.” Frank as a person was a huge help and positive influence on others. While we are all saddened by the loss of great friends, it is hard to miss a person more than I (and so many of us) miss Frank. Time and time again, it was Frank Garcia that dropped his current area of attention at magic conventions to encourage and teach those just getting their feet wet in our craft. Frank delighted in avidly watching a newcomer display the effect he was practicing. Frank’s enthusiasm for enjoying magic never waned. When film director John Huston was asked what the meaning of life was, he replied, “to be interested.” He could have well been speaking of Frank Garcia.

Young magicians flocked over just to be near Frank; perhaps they sensed the treasure of a person that he was. He had a million dollar heart, filled with the type of generosity that had to be experienced to be believed. Rather than openly criticize or dissuade a young magician, the norm of the day, Frank had a much warmer approach. Frank was an imposing presence, having performed on “The Tonight Show” with trademark “three shell game”, the Dick Cavett show, and the David Letterman show as well. All this occurred at a time when television appearances by a close-up magician were a rarity, with only three nationwide networks of note. When a newcomer to the art looked up with soulful eyes filled with hope of affirmation to this daunting master of magic, Frank would carefully comment: “That’s very good. Just maybe you’d like to try the way I’ve been doing something like that. I’d be happy to show it to you if you don’t mind. I think you’ll have a lot of fun with it.” After a lunch with Frank, the magical tyros left invariably excited, motivated, and walking on a cloud. That was the true secret of Frank Garcia: he had a wondrous ability to make those around him feel good. The positive influence on those touched by his friendship was as undeniable as it is indelible.

A unique quality of Frank was his ability to talk as comfortably with the panhandler in the street as he could CEO’s. He treated the waitress at the “Fluffy Donut” around the corner from his New York City apartment, with just as much care as Henny Youngman, Milton Berle, and his regular friends. When Italy’s Tony Binarelli or Japan’s Shigeo Takagi spoke of Frank, you could tell by their happy, yet reverent verbiage how much they cared about him. Frank inspired loyalty, he provoked laughter, and he made us all richer for having known him. Some people evoke fond personal memories, some people bring back remembrances of a certain place and time, but with Frank, it is somehow different. Frank was the person that could meld to your soul, something that thankfully can never be taken away.

Small wonder that I miss Frank so deeply, and laugh to myself recalling our times together. A ring of the phone, and Frank would say, “Do you know why I called? Just because I love you, kid- that’s why.” It is hard to be human, and not be touched by a person with a heart as big, as golden, and as giving as Frank’s was. He gave me so much more than I could ever give back. The content of Frank’s character glows with a flame that warms, comforts, and motivates. The life of Mr. Frank Garcia is one to celebrate, and keep close forever.

Frank never lost his roots. He knew quite well what he entered this world with, and what he would take with him when he moved on. He was the consummate people person, as gracious in giving the limelight to others as in accepting it himself. As Cat Stevens sang, “we are only dancing on this earth for a short while.” Frank knew how to dance, and dance he did . . . savoring the nectar of people, places, experiences, and relationships throughout his life. Like many, “The Big Fella” had a few detractors. But the green-eyed ones could never darken his spirit, and his light burned ever brighter. We walk in the path blazed by giants, and Frank cleared a huge trail for us. Superlatives that can adequately describe Frank Garcia, his street smarts, his depth of resolve, and his resilience of character are beyond me. Suffice it to say, that by not availing yourself of the study of the wonder-worker named Garcia you have mercilessly denied yourself a great adventure. Frank Garcia had no equal.

Whether it was zipping off together with Frank to Canada for a Chinese dinner, bussing it down to Greenwich Village for pizza, or Chef Frank taking delight in preparing one of his own unique culinary masterpieces for us- I knew the evening would end up with a sore belly and tears on my face from laughing until I could barely stand. The times with my dear friend Frank were some of the best, most memorable times of my life. Right now, I believe he is giving the sentiments expressed in his cover issue his traditional “perfunctory perusal.” I can imagine Frank looking down on these articles, sipping his favorite “toddy,” and smiling with satisfaction.

I have a feeling that “The Big Fella” has never really left us. If some day, by some chance you receive an amazing phone call from Cary Grant or James Mason, suddenly hear the resonance of Eddie Cantor singing, or receive a package (overflowing with esoteric goodies) in the mail out of nowhere, it might very well be from the legendary Frank Garcia. In fact, I’d bet on it!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
That is a wonderful article, Randy.

Frank was always fun to be around. He cared about the craft. He knew where it was at, and there aren't many left that do. I miss him, too.

If any close-up magician was ever "tantamount to paramount," it was Frank Garcia.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Frank never received the recognition that he was due, IMO. Few people can really light up a room like a Roman candle when they are on. Frank Garcia sure could. He was the Maestro!

Frank knew what he had, and he knew how to use it. He left us far too early, with a new bride and much to look forward to.

Darn tootin' I miss Frank Garcia! He was a generous and loyal friend, and remarkable in so many ways that you really had to know him well to feel the full measure of the man.

He truly was "as good as the best, and better than the rest."
---------------------------------------------

Quote:
And now, Whit, I'll call your attention to this parcel of cards. Try to contain yourself, please. For you, I will melange coupe'. Whit, if Lady Luck smiles upon us, and what I propose to be the case actually happens . . . I think you'll agree, Whit, that we both have been witness to a Miracle."

Ahh, but I digress . . .
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Garcia, but I do have his videos and most of his books, and I treasure them. He left a lasting legacy.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Very nice of you to share your comments about life with Frank Garcia . I have all his videos from Stars of Magic and I still enjoy watching him. You could tell on his videos that he really loved people. He is truly missed.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I only knew and know those fortunate enough to call him a friend. I've collected much on Frank Garcia and regret not having the mere opportunity to do lunch.
Thanks for the reminder Randy Wakeman.
HarrisonCarroll
View Profile
V.I.P.
Buffalo, NY
118 Posts

Profile of HarrisonCarroll
Hey Again Randy:
Ahh Yes.. Nothing like having a laugh and Toddy with Frank and Harvey Keck.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I remember meeting Mr. Garcia when i was about 13 years old. He was so big in my mind and then to see him in person I thought i was going to fall over. He did the cups and balls for a room of about 200 people and recieved a standing ovation. He was as nice a person as you could want to meet.

Matt
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
I had the pleasure of meeting Frank Garcia at the old Tannen's (1550 Broadway) when I used to work in that neighborhood (I was the General Manager of a classical music radio station) and I'd spend my lunch hours there.

Frank was so very accessible -- I was studying card magic and Frank would ask me what I was working on, then he'd show me a tip, a handling, and ususally a trick. Then he'd move into high gear and knock my socks off with something.

He was a big, kind, funny, lovable man. He has left behind a wonderful legacy in his books and videos -- his Card Stab from the Tannen's magic videos is the one I perform to this day.

I am so glad Randy got to publish his encomium to Frank Garcia, here.

Matt Field
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
I love Frank Garcia too! More later. Later.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Frank Garcia took an active interest in helping those young folks just getting their feet wet in magic . . . in stark contrast to many working pros of the day. One of the many things that truly set Frank apart.
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Randy,
I remember when I first met Frank at FFFF.
I gave him a trick and I asked him for a 8 x 10 Photo. I gave him my address. I'll never forget when you sent me the envelope, he sent to you. He must have lost my address, but he knew that we knew each other. Enclosed was a collection of 8 x 10 photos, every one signed to me personally as well as his postcards. I will never forget his caring enough to make sure that I received them. Thank you for forwarding them. They are a treasured memory!
It's Fun to be Fooled
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I remember well . . .
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
I've only ever known Frank Garcia through his wonderful books. They make up a nice little section of my library. Some I got when they were still available, and some I've had to pay premium prices for. But they are all worth it. And there's not much of a chance that they will be reprinted. They are all packed full of useable, solid, powerful magic. I'm aware of the controversy as well, but when the dust has settled they are wonderful books to treasure. And Frank Garcia himself was a treasure. What a charming personality, as is evidenced even on his video tapes. I know we would have hit it off, if only it was in the cards for us to meet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2003 entrée: Randy Wakeman » » Frank Garcia: "The Big Fella" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL