The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Insurance Experiences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
An article about a young EA trying to obtain insurance approval:

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=95447&sc=79

What are some of the experiences among the rest of the group?

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes, great question.

I'm assuming everyone tells their agent they are entertainers - as opposed to people who cheat death.

Let's give some business to the least expensive agents who actually do something. Name names, if you will.

I assume everyone is aware there are two (or more) levels of protection. The first is where you really are not covered for anything - all the policy does is give you a piece of paper to show the sponsors. The most important clause on those policies is, Not covered for anything dangerous... If something should happen, you might find yourself suing your own insurance company to represent you because THEY could say the act was dangerous, even if it only involved sponge balls and no one ever got hurt ever before since the start of time.

The next issue is where you have a policy and add the sponsor as an additional insured, just for that one show. I ALWAYS quote prices, to organizations, by saying, "And that price does not include any taxes, fees, additional paperwork, parking fees or travel expenses."
If they call back and want that binder, I tell them that it's not included in the price of the show and whatever the insurance company wants to charge me is how much extra the fee will be - that it's the same as if they purchased insurance on their own, but in this case they are doing it through my insurance company.

In any event, coverage is usually sparse, in my experience.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have found in the UK that Public Liability Insurance is not a problem to get, but of course, this covers the speckies and not you.

For self cover doing escapes against personal injury....I have yet to find any full cover on offer over here.

If you are Equity registered PLI through First Act Insurance is very cheap, but when you add the dreaded words...Fire or Risk...then extra monies, sometimes three times the amount, are quoted and even then reading the small print will only give protection to your speckies!!!!

So I have PLI up to 5 mill, that's it...bookers are mainly concerned for the punters safety, so not one so far has queried cover for myself!!!

Ken
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Many of the sponsors here are asking for a binder where anything that happens to anyone as a result of your performance is your responsibility.

I had a family ask me to fix their car because they rear-ended the next car and said it was my responsibility due to the fact they were coming to see my show.

‡
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
What happened in the case, Leslie?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I hung the phone up and never heard from them again. I suppose they knew how stupid they sounded.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Might of been funny to see that case in court or the tabloids here. "Family Sues for Their STUPIDITY"
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I also had a school nurse tell me that a student tripped and fell on the way into the auditorium and she hoped the parents didn't make a big deal about it.

Glad I hold 100 percent interest in a corporation that books my shows and I'm not doing it by myself.

Times are a-changing. I never used fire and would be afraid, if I did, someone seeing the show would try to emulate me by getting a pot from the kitchen and seeing if a rabbit appears from an in-home inferno.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Some insurance companies won't insure escape artists and say so up front. There are a couple who do. I believe it runs about $250 per year for basic coverage.

Clyde
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
You might want to try this company http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/about-us.html. I have used them for 4 years and they have been great.

John
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Who is your preferred insurance company Pastor, if you don't mind my asking.

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'd be interested too.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Specilty insurance is the one I was referring to. Its good unless you use pyrotechnics then they won't cover you. At least they will cover escape artists. They prefer you state- magician specializing in escapes.

Hope this helps,

Clyde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Insurance Experiences (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL