The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Loading From Tight Clothing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
A question for the oldtimers, the sixtysomething C&B magicians : back in the 70's when tight clothing was in vogue, what was the most common method of loading (speaking here of the final loads)? I suspect it would have been difficult to load from trouser pockets. How did magicians adjust, and did it mean that the final loads tended to be smaller than they typically are today?

Clothing fashions are cyclical so it's only a matter of time before tight, form-fitting clothes come back into vogue again. This question should therefore be of interest to younger generations of magicians as well.

Fortasse
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I have seen Michael Ammar dvds he is using tight clothing, he just used the back pockets.
MIKE ROGERS was using a shelve.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I belive this issue led TOMMY WONDER to create his wonderful routine.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Although not in my sixtysomethings, I had been involved in magic for many years during that time, so I can give an observation on this. Many of the Cups & Balls routines I saw performed at that time, as with a lot of other close-up magic, were done while seated. Lap loading was a part of many routines, including C&B. I did it myself for years.

Those who worked standing loaded either from servantes, or if they used body loads, from techniques associated with manipulators' body loads.

The change seemed to happen, or at least became more pronounced, when table "hopping" became the norm, as opposed to table magic. Close-up shows and contests at magic conventions began to gray the area between what was traditional close-up magic and parlor/stand-up magic.

Clothing styles in the 80's got baggier and pocket loads were a piece of cake, sometimes even from front pockets.

Jarle Leirpoll's great book, "Pocket Power", addressed issues that seemed to stem from tighter pockets, or at least those that seemed tighter once the hand was in there trying to cop a load.

I recall smaller loads, but probably because I recall smaller cups! Ha-ha!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
If you have to dig around then make your misdirection stronger.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you have to "dig" it's time to change the method.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
When did digging ever look natural?

O.K. O.K. Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke did a right fine job but he wasn't obtaining loads either.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
From what I can see, standard-sized cups in the 70's were pretty much the same size as they are now. So I guess the size of the loads must essentially be the same as well (?).

Fortasse
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
If you can misdirect, they will not see the digging. Also dig smoothly and slowly. not frantically. I am assuming that each is using his best method. Of course if one has a better "method" by all means use it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 09:30, fortasse wrote:
From what I can see, standard-sized cups in the 70's were pretty much the same size as they are now. So I guess the size of the loads must essentially be the same as well (?).

Fortasse

Today, there are many more styles of cups available, with a wider range of sizes. So-called "street" cups are more popular, thanks to magicians like Gazzo, whose popularity spawned a whole new crop of magicians wanting the same. While there were larger cups available in years past, they were decidedly more "inner circle". Certainly also, there are smaller cups available today.

In the 1970's Mendoza's Cups and Balls Routine was very popular. While not every magican did that routine, nor was it by far the only routine, it was probably better known than many other routines, besides Vernon's. (You did ask about the 1970's) The cups suggested by the Mendoza routine were Morrissey combo cups. These cups will just hold a racquetball. Large crocheted ball final loads were also sold with wider popularity. They were even smaller. Today, magicians go with tennis balls, baseballs, lemons, oranges, and other items that simply are larger.

I will admit that my opinion is based on my point of view, and not statistical data. I recall seeing cups and balls routines used in performances in convention shows, contests, etc. and I just don't remember seeing oranges, baseballs, etc. used as final loads. Today it is not unusual for a magician to own more than one set of cups, because the choices are more, and the availabilty is more instant, thanks to the internet. It is not unusual to think that this would include different size cups.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The earliest Morrissey combo sets would take a lacrosse ball.

I may have to go back to the database and make some changes there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
How early? I just measured a set of copper Morrissey minis that are just a hair under 2 1/2". These are at least as old as mid 70's. The Morrissey combo aluminum set that I bought before that for the Mendoza routine (long since gone) were no larger, because I used racquet balls with those. I crochet covered the racquet balls, but had to use a very thin colored string (like kite string), not yarn, as yarn would make the finished diameter too large to fit into the cup without jamming.

For years, I performed closeup table magic while seated. Lap loads, or loads from a special seat/prop case were what I used. When I started working behind a bar, I simply loaded from the shelf behind the bar. It was quite a long time before I ever put a load ball in my pocket. Even after then, I would often opt for a ball clip rather than fight tight pockets, or make my coat look like I bought it from Captain Kangaroo. LOL!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
The C/B instructional DVD from Steven's shows Mr. Ammar wearing a wide collared shirt and tight bell-bottoms, which screamed "Seventies" (um, he also had the full head of longish hair of the era). I think maybe the fabric was also stretchy (lycra/spandex?). When he showed the loads it looked like his pocket would explode, but the loads stayed in place and he retrieved them without a problem.

You can still get mens stretch fabrics, in fact today skateboarders often get jeans made with varying degrees of stretchy fiber added:

http://www.nextag.com/mens-stretch-pants/search-html

Douglas M.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Think we could all take a lesson from Celeste Evans when it comes to hiding loads in tight clothing. That gal pulled dove after dove after dove out of that skimpy costume of hers. Just takes a bit of imagination and a little boldness, you'd be surprised where you could stash loads.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 20:11, Pete Biro wrote:
If you have to "dig" it's time to change the method.

"Plums? Now when did I buy these plums?"
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 17:34, Michael Baker wrote:
How early? I just measured a set of copper Morrissey minis that are just a hair under 2 1/2". These are at least as old as mid 70's. The Morrissey combo aluminum set that I bought before that for the Mendoza routine (long since gone) were no larger, because I used racquet balls with those. I crochet covered the racquet balls, but had to use a very thin colored string (like kite string), not yarn, as yarn would make the finished diameter too large to fit into the cup without jamming.

For years, I performed closeup table magic while seated. Lap loads, or loads from a special seat/prop case were what I used. When I started working behind a bar, I simply loaded from the shelf behind the bar. It was quite a long time before I ever put a load ball in my pocket. Even after then, I would often opt for a ball clip rather than fight tight pockets, or make my coat look like I bought it from Captain Kangaroo. LOL!

~michael

Morrissey started making combo sets in 1967 or 1968. The earliest sets they had for this had the small top and were 2.58" ID. That's big enough for a lacrosse ball. The next generation had a slightly larger top, but were 2.4" ID. These will not take a lacrosse ball.

Morrissey's cups developed strangely. Later ones are almost cylindrical. The tops are larger, but the ID's are just a smidge smaller. They changed the gaffing method about 8 years ago. Then they went back to the method that works.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ok, thanks for that. Mine are obviously 2nd generation. Later they changed the stock thickness but retained the size and shape. Years ago, I ordered a 4th cup to match my copper minis, and while identical in appearance, the stock is noticably thinner.

photo

I recall the gaff change. It stood out like a sore thumb.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
More like "fell out like a loose part."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
You could do a rattle bar routine with them.

Joe H
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Loading From Tight Clothing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL