The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As I recall, he palmed a large demon (he had very large hands) and then produced him for when he did his Parlour Show "Calling the Great God Pan"... he also had a small imp in the Goshman Pinch.

He often liked to Faro shuffle the Tarot... his flourish fan often caused people to see their lives flash before their eyes...

The best was his Self-Mercury Fold where he'd turn invisible - however, he was really ****ed when he found out people could still see him when he was all pretzled up and hopping around a Café.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
There are some sound recordings out and about, but I've never heard of any video footage.
What would Wavy do?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Ummmm. They didn't have video back then. Crowley died in 1947.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Well . . . yes. . . I meant film footage. . . I've never heard of any film footage.

As for sound recordings:

http://www.insite.com.br/rodrigo/magick/......ley.html
What would Wavy do?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
There is film fotage of AC reading poetry. I had a copy of it years ago.
Lost with my previous pc. Smile
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yeah, I know what you meant, Mark, but I just had to get that little dig in. Smile

:)

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
I've never heard of film footage, all I know of are the wax cylinder recordings. I would be extremely interested in film footage...
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
According to my mentor Dr. Santee, when he was at oxford in 1927 he met Crowley, and Regardie and later that year did join the golden dawn in 1928. I had a discussion with the Dr. on the subject of Theatrical magic and Crowley's use of it. The Dr. told me that crowley did use extensively, chemical magic in ritual to "Set the tone". But would have never have used common slight of hand to accomplish anything. The Dr. did have memories of Crowley performing feats of psychometry, which I showed the Dr. how these feats were accomplished with a ma***t. He was impressed, and also dismayed, having carried those amazing feats performed by Crowley all those years ago in his memory. So, from a first hand source, Crowley did use pseudo psychometry, and chemical magic for sure, what else he used is left to speculation.
I studied with the good Dr. from 1977-1980, and recieved my 3RD. degree into the coven of the Cata in 1982 from Janie who was high priestess of the coven after the good dr's passing. More of my mentor and high priest can be found here if anyone is interested. http://www.geocities.com/prrt352/santee.html
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Oh OH! Can I plug our Golden Dawn Lodge here too? Just curious!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Maleficia
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, ON, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Maleficia
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 20:33, gaddy wrote:
Oh OH! Can I plug our Golden Dawn Lodge here too? Just curious!

You're with the Open Source Golden Dawn? Very nice.

Konx Om Pax!

93/93
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 03:41, egregor wrote:
According to my mentor Dr. Santee, when he was at oxford in 1927 he met Crowley, and Regardie and later that year did join the golden dawn in 1928. I had a discussion with the Dr. on the subject of Theatrical magic and Crowley's use of it. The Dr. told me that crowley did use extensively, chemical magic in ritual to "Set the tone". But would have never have used common slight of hand to accomplish anything. The Dr. did have memories of Crowley performing feats of psychometry, which I showed the Dr. how these feats were accomplished with a ma***t. He was impressed, and also dismayed, having carried those amazing feats performed by Crowley all those years ago in his memory. So, from a first hand source, Crowley did use pseudo psychometry, and chemical magic for sure, what else he used is left to speculation.
I studied with the good Dr. from 1977-1980, and recieved my 3RD. degree into the coven of the Cata in 1982 from Janie who was high priestess of the coven after the good dr's passing. More of my mentor and high priest can be found here if anyone is interested. http://www.geocities.com/prrt352/santee.html

WONDERFUL, RARE ACCOUNT. I take your humble word and do give thanx Master Builder.
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Egregor with respect because a magical effect can be duplicated by a conjuror in no way invalidates the possibility of the magical effect being real magic. gregalach.
james1a
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Indubitably, James!

Bill
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
You're absolutely right, but then again, there was supposedly a conversation between Purdurabo/Crowley and L.Ron Hubbard, which Crowley said,"You could start a religion with this dianetics thing". That quote came from the memoirs of Salvador Dali. I wish I could give you a reference, but I've been banned from the good Doctors Library. Internal coven ego struggle, and all that sillyness.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I was under the impression that that apocryphetic anecdote was a conversation between Hubbard and Isaac Asimov. I find it unlikely in the extreme that an egotist like Crowley would give a lower grade member of the A.A. implicit permission to "start a religion" of his own.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
I don't see implicit permission being given, I read it as sarcasm from Crowley on the state of religious cults springing up at that period of history. I recieved the quote from a 78 year old man 30 years ago, who knows how many people the quote has been attributed to since then. I was also told it was on a boat ride off the coast of Greece while sipping Ouzo, but I wasn't there, but the story sounds possible to me. Of course, then again, according to the guy in N.Y.C. who sold me that Rolex watch, rolex is spelled Rolexx, and I have a document to prove that I am the current owner of the Brooklyn Bridge. How can you doubt a man of my Pedegree? I am a Thorobred.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
From Wikipedia:

"Beginning in late 1949, Hubbard sought to publicize Dianetics, the self-improvement technique. Unable to elicit interest from mainstream publishers or medical professionals, Hubbard turned to the legendary science fiction editor John W. Campbell, who had for years published Hubbard's science fiction. The first article on Dianetics was published in Astounding Science Fiction. The science fiction community was divided about the merits of Hubbard's offering. Campbell's star author Isaac Asimov criticized Dianetics' unscientific aspects, and veteran author Jack Williamson described Dianetics as "a lunatic revision of Freudian psychology" that "had the look of a wonderfully rewarding scam." But Campbell and novelist A. E. van Vogt enthusiastically embraced Dianetics: Campbell became Hubbard's treasurer, and van Vogt—convinced his wife's health had been transformed for the better by auditing—interrupted his writing career to run the first Los Angeles Dianetics center."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 23:55, egregor wrote:
I don't see implicit permission being given, I read it as sarcasm from Crowley on the state of religious cults springing up at that period of history. I recieved the quote from a 78 year old man 30 years ago, who knows how many people the quote has been attributed to since then. I was also told it was on a boat ride off the coast of Greece while sipping Ouzo, but I wasn't there, but the story sounds possible to me. Of course, then again, according to the guy in N.Y.C. who sold me that Rolex watch, rolex is spelled Rolexx, and I have a document to prove that I am the current owner of the Brooklyn Bridge. How can you doubt a man of my Pedegree? I am a Thorobred.

If I had any doubts before now, they've been quelled...
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
I had faith that you would see the light.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL