The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2008 entrée: Steve Spill » » Music » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Hi Steve,

I was just wondering how much you have used music in your work.

From your dvd I get the impression that you are more of a talking performer, is that correct? Do you still use music in your shows, and if so, how do you use it to enhance you performances?

BTW, I do a talking magic act but want to use music more in my shows, hence my question.

Thank you

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Hello Simon. You are right I am mostly a talk performer, and the DVD covers some comedy club work in the eighties. Today, doing a theater show, I us tons of music. And I pay for it... don't know how it is Downunder, but here in the States I pay thousands per year to ASCAP for the right to use any music I want. The show is NOT wall-to-wall music though... Generally speaking, I don't use music when I'm doing a stand-up comedy piece,but I definitely would if it fit. I use some music themed to certain tricks, under dialogue, to give a certain feeling, subtly evoke audience memories, as foreshadowing, and so on...

A few examples: Bump in the Night with underwatder theme, the "bumps" look like octopusses music/Beatles Octopusses Garden; Table of Terror escape, some "trance" music under dialogue while being chained and handcuffed, loud Led Zepplen piece under actual escape sequence; Floating Lady/psychiatrist scene; Seinfeld type instrumental under "sitcomish" dialogue,levitation sequence Sting's Destert Rose. Coin Assembly,instrumental from movie "Contact" soundtrack under sentimental monologue about earning money to buy a new bike; soft violins under Gypsy Thread with "What to do under painful conditions" monologue; Pink Floyd's Money as walk on music when boy comes up from audience for Miser's Dream.

If it fits I think it's always good to add music, especially in a talk act. Good luck Simon.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks very much for that Steve!

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2008 entrée: Steve Spill » » Music » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL