The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar on Tonight show clips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Does anyone know where in cyberspace I might find clips of Michael Ammar performing on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson? I did a google search, but got nothing back (I would have expected a YouTube hit if anything). When I was growing up in the eighties I seem to remember Johnny would have a magician on from time to time, and I seem to remember a gentleman doing a crazy cups and balls routine with a leather cup and a huge final load. It is my thinking that this gentleman Michael Ammar. Anyhow, if anyone know or HAS such Tonight show clips, please post them!
Thanks Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That probably wasn't Ammar. I don't think Mike ever did a one cup routine on television. The main thing I remember Mike doing was his bill in lemon routine with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the volunteer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Man I remember that routine.
I don't think it was Ammar either.
I remember getting those leather Chope Cups in the shop right after because there were several requests for them.
At the end of the routine the cup unsnapped and was shown to be free from guile.
Can't remember who the magician was though....wish I could.
Mobius
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
Actually, you probably did see Mike, but it was the floating bill trick if I remember correctly. I believe he was featured twice on Carson's show in the mid-eighties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ammar
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He also did the floating bill. That's correct.

I remember when he did the bill in the lemon. Johnny and Arnold were sitting at the table. He asked Arnold if he had a banknote. Arnold looked puzzled, so Johnny said, "Money." Arnold brought out a wad of $100 bills that would choke a horse.

Michael ad-libbed "Do you have enough there for everyone?" This got a big laugh.

Then he did his version of the bill in the lemon, which knocked Arnold for a loop.

It was fun to watch.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I remember that clip! It was a golden moment in magic!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I spent quite a bit of time since reading this post searching YouTube and have not found anything - there are more "Johnny Carson" clips on YouTube than I thought.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There used to be a couple of Michael Skinner videos from the Tonight Show on Youtube. Not there anymore.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
There has been so much good magic on Johnny Carson that I am surprised that they have not released a compilation of it.
Johnny was an avid Magician and learned quite a bit from each guest he had on the show.
Man I miss his Tonight Show.
Mobius
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
It's a good idea... When he first started, Carson used to do a compilation of his best stuff at the end of every year. I loved watching it. Hopefully somewhere down the line someone will put something together.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Carson was aces in everyone's book. He knew what to do if a performer needed some shade.

When Paul Gertner was on the show and did his cups and balls, there were points where Johnny knew what was happening, but he reacted like a completely fooled spectator.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
You can find a clip of that Michael Ammar/tonight show bit on his "Topit" video where he did a great card trick also using an old razor and a "Funken Ring." SR.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar on Tonight show clips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL