The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Swivilroo Cut (Michael Ammar) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
On his Exciting World of Magic video, Michael Ammar explains what he calls a "Swivilroo Cut". I haven't been able to find this term referenced elsewhere.

The flourish involves a three-fold cut.
1. With the cards in the right hand, the index finger on the left hand swivels the top third of the deck forward, rolling them around (clockwise) the middle finger on the right hand, and into the left hand.
2. The right hand then takes half of the remaining cards and swivels them around (counter-clockwise) on the inside of the left hand onto the deck in the left hand.
3. The final remaining cards are then placed on top of the deck in the left hand.
If necessary, the left thumb can flip the bottom card of the deck and make it appear face up on top of the deck at the end of the flourish.

What's the correct name for this flourish, and where else might it be referenced aside from Ammar's video?
Michael G
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Michael G
I think this was first written up in Ultimate Secrets of Magic by Lewis Ganson. From memory it's in the "Friends of Dai Vernon" section in the back of the book.

This cut also gets my votes for the worst named move of all time.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The spelling should be "Swivelroo" with an E and not an I if the name was intended to be a play on the "swivel" action (swivel = a verb meaning "to turn or rotate on or as if on a swivel"; swivel = a noun meaning "a pivoted support that allows an attached object, such as a chair or gun, to turn in a horizontal plane.") It could be that this is just Ammar's pet name for the flourish rather than the original, but the spelling does seem incorrect.
Gustaf
View Profile
New user
Stockholm, Sweden
78 Posts

Profile of Gustaf
Card College Vol. 2 page 401 describes the "Swivelleroo Cut" you are talking about.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
It's in Ammar's ETMCM vol. 5. He executes it during the performance of "Henry Christ's Fabulous 4 Ace Trick." Although I don't believe he refers to it (in that video) as a "swivilroo cut." I think he just calls it a "razzle-dazzle cut", or something along those lines. Anyway, it's a nice, flourishy way to reveal a card.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2008, Gustaf wrote:
Card College Vol. 2 page 401 describes the "Swivelleroo Cut" you are talking about.

The teaching section on Ammar's "The Exciting World of Magic" begins just before 1 hr 8 min on the video.

From what I can tell, it is almost the same as what Giobbi teaches in Card College Vol 2 (p.401).

However, Giobbi continues with an additional 180 degree spin of the final packet. Ammar simply has you put this final packet on the rest of the deck without this final spin.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
We basically called it a swivel cut, and if a multiple with different directions, swivel in and swivel out. At one time Hippie Toreales had a deck that would rotate with no seeming finger movement (but there was, it was hidden) and I think it was called Spinner. Ken Krenzel could do it. I learned it but haven't use it lately...will play with it again now. Don't know the Giobbi spin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Swivilroo Cut (Michael Ammar) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL