The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Remembering your effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I was going to read the memory book to help me, but I forgot where I left it.. Smile
Seriously, I don't understand how Mike Skinner and Larry Jennings could have instant recall to over 3000 effects... amazing ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Just listing a few names of your tricks on wallet cards may not be enough.
You should still rehearse those regularly.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I keep a journal of effects that I do complete with scripts in some cases. These were quite helpful when I wrote my last two books on magic. Concentrate on a small repertoire of effects (say 10) and work on those until you can literally do them in your sleep. You'll need to rehearse more complicated effects more often like the linking rings, cups and balls, and certain card and coin tricks. Don't try to learn everything.

Larry
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As mentioned- write down effects you perform & what audiences enjoyed & over time you will have a core group of effects that becomes your main act simply by strong audience reaction time & time again

Then you will have to be ruthless & ditch effects that maybe favourites with you but not getting reactions if you perform a lot-this will over time leave you with an act that will stay with you for years

Happy writing!!!!!!!!!!!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2008-01-31 16:00, Brad Burt wrote:
I used to keep little cheat sheets with the names of routines. The angst of having someone ask to see a trick would at times cause me to go pretty much blank, which is ironic when you know a couple hundred of 'em! I have my core of stuff I pretty much never forget, but to help I would glance at one of my "lists" and, as long as I could see the 'name' of the routine, I was ok. If you aren't performing certain routines every single day, this is a helpful way to keep in touch with material. Best,

Yes, this most accords with my own experience. An 'at a glance' list is very helpful for the memory - and to help keep it there. For my list, I structure it under 2 headings - 'Cards' and 'Non-Cards'. I keep this in my folder and in my magic box/case that I take to gigs. It includes one's that I know very well, some that I have played with and liked a lot, and the name of a trick that I have read in a book or seen on a dvd that I would like to work on in the not too distant future.

I have another list in my files; a 2nd list where I list things under a different system. It is divided again into two headings but these heading are
1. "Current set & new/newish tricks": This thus includes my current tricks plus it includes tricks I've worked on already but I still have a bit more work to do to make them more fluent & also includes those tricks that I am close to, but not quite yet ready for, public performance
2. "Next 6 tricks to work on". I select 6 tricks from the list at the top of my post (i.e 6 in total from my 'Cards' and 'Non-Cards' list)
I got this idea or approach from a tip by someone on the Café... and I think it helps focus & motivate you to work on new things, rather than looking at a huge long list of tricks and dvds. An 'at a glance' list is very helpful.
mrsmiles
(UK)
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I've tried to keep a journal/logbook system on my laptop, and I did great with it for a long time, but I have lately neglected it. I think time is my issue, so I decided to try a written notebook. I can take it with me places that I don't bring my laptop, and on down time I can jot down the necessary information.

This is a helpful item to compile, but I feel like it takes more dedication than one would expect. I will be persistant on some weeks and then others I am lazy. Then again, I guess I don't have to write in it everyday, just when something note-worthy comes my way.(justification for occasional laziness) Smile

-Vinny
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
As a stroller and one who prefers impromptu(?) magic here's how I set up my main list.
---------------------
The basic key:
* Normal text means that the trick can be done standing, without a table but may need the spectator’s hands.
* Maroon colored text means gimmick, gaff or special addition is used.
* Bold text means a table is required.
The tables of props are:
Coins, Cards, Bills, Keys, Finger Rings, Elastics, Pens, String-Lace-Cord-Rope,
Glasses-Bowls-Cups, Siverware, Cigarettes, Sponges.

Effects that use two or more of the listed props, like 'Matrix' which uses Coins and Cards, would be in more than one prop table.

Each effect also has info on where I can refer to them.

Lastly, I've made sets of 2-4 effects that I feel work well together.
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
I use a spreadsheet to list the effects that I know and then I have columns for different categories - like cards, coins, rope, etc. I also have columns to list things for close-up and parlor.

This allows me to quickly generate a list of effects and select based on these criteria. Also - it helps me keep track of what I own so I don't duplicate things.

Don
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
Jaz,

You are incredibly organized, I like your system a lot! Am I correct in assuming it is computerized?

-Vinny
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 16:50, vpatanio wrote:
Jaz,

You are incredibly organized, I like your system a lot! Am I correct in assuming it is computerized?

-Vinny

Vinny,
:lol: Not really so organized.

It's just a couple of pages done in MS Word.
When and if I change the list I usually print it so I can refer to it off the computer.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
A journal helps . . . .
Cards never lie
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I write down the name of the trick and the book, or DVD, that it is in, the tricks, effect, the routines I make up for myself , by myself I write down complete with diagrams, patter, and prop arrangement.
owln_1
Michael Hajek
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Michael Hajek
I use an excel spreadsheet with multiple columns of data (effect name, magic category, props, target audiences, brief presentation description, etc.) I have it synched onto a Palm, so that it is portable.

The spreadsheet approach requires more time inputting than a written notebook, but the advantage comes in the fact that you are either able to sort, filter, or search all of the effects. On many entries I am able to either scan in text information, sometimes copy and paste from the web, add pdf attachments and even include photos.

For me at least, this works better than my previous notebook.
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
This is going to sound really stupid, but when I have learned practiced and performed an effect (Mainly cards or mentalism) and it has proved to be effective with an audience I go back to the place I learned it and write it down for myself.

What I mean is that I literally copy down word for word the instructions provided or the text from the relevant book. Most of the time I work out my own patter and/or presentation for the effect and write this down too.

For some reason this helps me to remember the effect for far longer than if I had merely followed a set of standard instructions.

I told you it would sound stupid but it works for me.

Regards 0045
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I used to have an alphabet of card tricks I learnt e.g Acrobatic aces Bamboozle Card to pocket Do as I do etc.all were impromptu and could be done with a borrowed deck.Once you'd worked through it a few times it was easy to remember.
The above are just an example so you get the idea.You could modify the names to fit or to work tricks in you want e.g for Q I would use Queen whisperer instead of Whispering queen etc.Anyway I hope you get the idea.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
For all of the tricks that are really good I write them down, but only the ones that I REALLY REALLY like. The rest I just try to remember.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I have two Microsoft Word files on my computer, one for impromptu tricks, and the other for card tricks. In each file, I list all the effects I have learned, including the source where I found it (video or book title and page reference - this is important, so that I can go back to the source to read up on the details of the effect to refresh my memory), and a brief description of the effect and/or the secret. I arrange them by category (for cards: e.g. tricks with key cards, tricks with four-of-a-kinds, tricks with reds/blacks, mentalism, etc; or for impromptu: e.g. dinner magic, rubber bands, coins, banknotes, etc). I end up with 3-5 lines of text for each effect, so that I can peruse them quickly.

I also have an index page listing all the effects by title (with my favorites highlighted) so that if I'm going somewhere I can quickly peruse it and jot down a list of effects that might be suitable for that occasion. In addition, I have a written list of my favorite "one-liners" (e.g. responses to questions like "How did you do that?" or "Can you do that again?") I'm able to update the file as I add new effects or find different sources for the effects I already know.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
That is a great way to organize yourself . . .
Cards never lie
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
I keep mine in a note book
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Remembering your effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL