The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crocheted balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Interesting, I always assumed they were knitted.
But, I am wrong more often these days than I am right.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It may be possible to make them by either process. I refer to my grandmother for these things, because, although I am crochety, I don't crochet. She was crochety and did crochet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have 3 or 4 sets of the Josh Monkey Fist balls from The Ambitious Card and I am more than pleased! Feel good, look good and I've never heard em utter a peep! The extra "special" ball has just the right amount of grip with ANY of my chop cups!
As for crocheted balls I prefer my RNT2's to any of the sets that came with my other cups! Marci does a bang up job making then for Jakes cups!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
For the last 10 years (?) I have used the Mike Rodgers Baseballs. I just ordered a set of monkey fist balls from Frank. Looking forward to the change!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 12:41, kentfgunn wrote:
Brett Sherwood makes inch and a quarter crocheted balls with heavy rubber balls in the center.

They're pricey but very very nice. You can find pictures and descriptions on his website. http://www.sherwoodmagic.com

Kent

The correct, as sold, major diameter for the manipulation balls is 1.125 (1-1/8") not 1.25"

Bill
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I made my own leather 1-inch baseball from real leather using a wooden core. No idea how much it weights, but I believe it is a tiny bit heavier than the red 1-inch crochet balls that came with my inexpensive chop cups ($40). Also made my own Monkeyfist balls using wooden core.

When I toss the leather balls up into the air I have no problems catching them, the crochet balls tend to bounch out of my hands, therefore it is easier for me to handle the leather balls that I made myself.

Since I am legally deaf I have no idea if these balls talk, but I can feel them roll around in the cups, and they roll differently than the crochet balls.

The balls that I made are not as great as the ones on the market, but I am happy with them. I made them all with my bare hands, no fancy stitching machine. Trying to improve my craftmanship, but it is hard as heck. Wish there was someone out there that could give me some tips on how to improve my craftmanship.

I am new to Cups & Balls, therefore I am no expert. Learning new things everyday such as how pretty and expensive the sherwood cups are.

Have fun folks
Ivan Kiddlars
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Ivan Kiddlars
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 21:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
It may be possible to make them by either process. I refer to my grandmother for these things, because, although I am crochety, I don't crochet. She was crochety and did crochet.

That was a Coca-Cola through the nose moment. hilarious.

While I am sure that the quality of the balls offered by RNTII and Sherwood are beyond reproach, I am wondering if there are any less expensive alternatives with multiple color and size selections?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
1. Thanks to Mister Sutter for correcting my earlier post. I've got to get my eyes calibrated again.

2. For Mr. Kiddlars. Frank Starsini has a line on monkey fist balls of varying sizes and colors. Try http://www.theambitiouscard.com
Ivan Kiddlars
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Ivan Kiddlars
Thanks Kent. Do you know of any such sources for regular crocheted balls?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Morrissey has less expensive balls in several colors.

Uday has several different sizes of balls, but they are all the same color.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Hi folks,

Any tried and true methods for cleaning crocheted balls, particularly white ones? I'm thinking vinegar or baby shampoo, but I thought it better to ask first. I don't want to yellow or stain the balls accidentally.

Thanks very much,

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I use The Ambitious Card leather monkey fists. I'm very happy with them.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I like a solid, painted rubber ball. Of course for chop cups, RNT2's are best.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 20:32, Hearttau wrote:
Hi folks,

Any tried and true methods for cleaning crocheted balls, particularly white ones? I'm thinking vinegar or baby shampoo, but I thought it better to ask first. I don't want to yellow or stain the balls accidentally.

Thanks very much,

Dave

The biggest problem comes with those that have internal devices concealed within them. The internal devices can rust.

However, non-gaffed balls may be washable with Woolite.

No guarantees here, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Thanks Bill. I have Tim Star's Star Master Chop-Cup, so all my balls are gaffed but not in the usual way. I know you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm now thinking of using a bleach pen so I can use as little as possible right where it's needed.

All the best,

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Most monkey fist balls come in leather. I have personally found them to be a bit too grabby on the inside of the cups at times - not often, but enough for an uncomfortable blip now and then. I have seen similar style (MF knot) balls made out of vinyl (or vinyl-like material). I would be interested in trying them out, as MF balls are certainly interesting.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
It takes a while but making the Tommy Wonder yarn balls are worth it. I like the weight, size, and you can make them any color you want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crocheted balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL