The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Smashed by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 17:05, Robert M wrote:
This reminds me of Michael Ammar's Pencil Thru Quarter, which also came out in the 80's, I believe.

Robert

P.S. - I agree with Christopher. If you watch it and use it, then you should pay the creator for it.

Michael Ammar's Pencil Through Quarter was simply included in a booklet with his handling on Jay Sankeys "Smashed" upon it's first release in 1980 when Jay was only 17. The trick was Jays but included Ammar's and Dingle's handlings (I believe it was Dingle) as strong selling points for the effect.

Quote:
On 2008-03-03 15:21, Cameron Francis wrote:
I believe it is. The thing that takes this from being a stunt to a more magical event is the restoration of the coin. Although you can do it without the restoration, I have found that the restoration is not only good structure, but really elevates the trick to pure miracle status. I really love this effect as it's easy to do and completely angle friendly.

I Totally agree Cameron!! I love the flash paper restoration!! either that or I just do his stirring silver style finish.

Quote:
On 2008-02-04 12:36, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Anyone that "worked out" Holy Moly" from the demo and didn't order it, lost out on the DVD with all the handling and extra tips.

Plus, I think if you watch a demo and "work it out" you owe it to the artist to purchase the effect.

Here's the demo:
http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48152

I agree with you're first point but definitely not on your second.I don't think you owe anyone anything as far as spending your money goes (even someone as awesome as Jay).Besides It is impossible to preform "Holly Molly" without buying it anyway because you need to have 2 hole washer custom made if you go that route.And besides the trick is only like 18 bucks anyway so why not get it because Jay ****ing rules!!!

Quote:
On 2008-02-05 16:06, daffydoug wrote:
So perhaps it would be better classified as a "stunt"? Sort of like the old tearing a telephone book in half trick.

This is definitely not a stunt.There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance.the laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to but a soft pencil through a solid piece of nickle,copper etc. making it a illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration!
"I care about eating, magic, and holding my children. " — Jay Sankey
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 20:05, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Quote:
So perhaps it would be better classified as a "stunt"? Sort of like the old tearing a telephone book in half trick.

This is definitely not a stunt.There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance.the laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to but a soft pencil through a solid peice of nickle,copper etc. making it a illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration!

Okay, a Visual Stunt? Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 19:31, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 18:58, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 15:00, tian_ci wrote:
Hmmm.
Puncture anyone?

Anyways, the demo looked good and contained some nice ways to hand the coin out healed.

This routine was out loooong before puncture came about. In fact, I am holding in my hands at the moment the original manuscript from Mystic Madness which I purchased many years ago.

The cover boasts Mystic Madness presents SMASHED, routined by Jay Sankey, Derek Dingle and Michael Ammar. Written and illustrated by Richard Kaufman. (Original price, $10.00)

I still posses the original smashed coin, also.

Between the covers we find such splendid routines as "Marked Solidification", (Sankey), "Pencil Through Quarter". (Ammar), and "New Wave Cig Through Quarter" (Dingle)

So this has a fine history before puctured was even a twinkle in Alex's eye.

Daff YOU ROCK baby! Without your input, these rumors or speculations would get out of hand.

I think ( maybe 'cause I'm getting it ) this will be a homerun for Mr. Sankey.

I totally agree. Thanks Daff

Quote:
On 2008-10-28 21:27, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is definitely not a stunt.There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance.the laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to but a soft pencil through a solid peice of nickle,copper etc. making it a illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration!

It's not a visual stunt (If there is even a such thing??).hopefully you are able to read my last post correctly a second time round! Once again...This is definitely not a stunt. There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance. The laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to butt a soft pencil through a solid piece of nickle, copper etc., making it an illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration! And also a stunt is something you actually do which is why it is called a stunt, and not a trick. You don't actually push the pencil through the coin again making it a trick!!!

Quote:
On 2008-02-05 14:25, Gilgamesh_The_Librarian wrote:
You know the thing that has always bothered me about this kind of effect is the lack of noise or physical effort in ramming one object through another. It just never seems right somehow. And if we are saying its "magic" then whats the rush at the critical moment. The effect screams sleight.

The slow measured aspect of cigarette through coin has far more "magic" about it.

Smashed has incredible audio. You should really look into it. It's only 11.99 on SankeyMagic.com right now. It's his monster sale. You have until the 1st!!! Check it out!!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 21:53, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not a visual stunt (If there is even a such thing??).hopefully you are able to read my last post correctly a second time round!Once again......This is definitely not a stunt.There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance.the laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to but a soft pencil through a solid piece of nickle,copper etc. making it a illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration!And also a stunt is something you actually do which is why it is called a stunt and not a trick.You don't actually push the pencil through the coin again MAKING IT A TRICK!!!

Yeah, semantics and interpretation! Visual stunt/trick/eye candy, whatever!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 13:53, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 21:53, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not a visual stunt (If there is even a such thing??).hopefully you are able to read my last post correctly a second time round!Once again......This is definitely not a stunt.There are many restorations included on the DVD as well as there was in the original 1980 booklet instantly making it a trick.Besides a stunt is a demonstration of human strength and endurance.the laws or physics go against you on this because it a actually impossible to but a soft pencil through a solid piece of nickle,copper etc. making it a illusion/trick/effect whatever you wanna call it ever without the restoration!And also a stunt is something you actually do which is why it is called a stunt and not a trick.You don't actually push the pencil through the coin again MAKING IT A TRICK!!!

Yeah, semantics and interpretation! Visual stunt/trick/eye candy, whatever!

you obviously are not going to see this.ah well ignorance is bliss I suppose!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Hey everybody. Just to let you know "Smashed" is on sale for only $1.99 at Penguin Magic. Literally a steal! Few questions for those who have it. In the demo he punctures the quarter in the spec's hand and they examine it right away. It cant really be that clean of an ending can it? I'm starting to realize that my hands handle coins nicely and consequently have started dabbling in coin magic. How is the handling for a not-so-seasoned coin guy? Heard through the magical grapevine that t take a lot of practice to get the move down. At $1.99 I'll be adding to the cart anyways.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Or will I? Just noticed it said US coins only. I'll wait until the live magicians come on and see if I can get a Canadian quarter. Not going to get screwed like I did with Ringer (didn't work with Canadian bills). Argh! Hard being a Canadian magician sometimes!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
WOW. This is one of Jay's BIG ONE's. What a price.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have several of these effects, including puncture, Michael Ammar, and Sankey. of all of these, I like puncture WAY more than sankey's. After puncture, I like Ammar's second best for the idea of borrowing a quarter and giving back a punctured souvenir. Ammar talks about having the coins made for you, but imo, if you have a few tools, you could make them easily. I strongly recommend puncture 2.0 for the techniques taught on the DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Smashed by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL