The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Basic effect - Order of revelation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
So I have a basic effect worked out as well as a method. Just wondering what the strongest order to reveal three cards is from a presontational stand point.

Three cards are selected:
One cards turns face up
One card if discovered to have a different colored back
One card vanishes and is possibly reproduced from the card box/wallet etc.

Just curious what order you think would be the strongest to reveal the three cards?
Victor Marnier
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Victor Marnier
You are much better off keeping those 3 effects separate. Mixing up effects like this only confuses the spectator. They will go home and not remember what you did. They will only remember you did something with cards. Each one of those effects can be extremely powerful in itself, and delivering all 3 of them simultaneously would dilute their strength. Instead, give each one of those effect a beginning, middle and ending, and make each one of them a full effect. They all 3 can be very strong effects with the proper presentation.
Otherwise, put the 3 effects in a similar context. For instance, have 2 card selected. Tell them when you snap your fingers, the first selection will turn face down. You proceed and when spreading the cards on the table, they see indeed a face down card... the 1st selection. Offer to repeat the effect with the second selection. This time it appears the effect is not working. You look through the cards and find none face down. You then open a wallet that was already on the table and reveal there is a face down card inside of it.... the second selection.
This way you have combined 2 of the effects in a same context. (you could load the card in the wallet at the beginning of the effect, and put your wallet on the table after returning a marker in your pocket. This would create a nice time misdirection for the card to wallet effect).
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
1. One cards turns face up.
2. One card vanishes and is possibly reproduced from the card box/wallet etc.

I'm not really sure I like this one. One card is discovered to have a different colored back may seem strong but somehow it don't seem to fit.
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Yeah... debating on a third way to reveal a card myself. My basic premise is to have a deck that is fixed... like a glued spread. Three cards are selected and then revealed in a different manner. Hope this clarifies what I am asking. Thanks for the input though.

Kex
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I think I know what you're asking.
I'll share something with you that I've done. The deck is set via controls, uses one gimmick and a simple preshow preparation for one of the 4 reveals which could be omitted.

Some time ago (6 years or so?) I had a routine I called "Four Card Menagerie".
Four cards were randomly selected by four folks and replaced in the deck at the same time.
The first card was revealed using Vernons "Triumph".
The 2nd reveal was a variation of Charlie Millers "Dunbury Delusion".
3rd was Francis Carlyles "Homing Card".
4th was using Jeff McBrides "Kundalini Rising" thingy.

I haven't performed this in years and the notes are missing.
It took a lot of thought in finding routines that could work together and be done without disturbing the four cards during the session.
Fortunately they ended up be classic effects and the first three could be done totally impromptu and if there was no Kundalini available then "Homing Card" was a strong ending as well.

Good Luck & Best to ya,
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
That pretty much sums up what I am trying to do... routine three classic revelations into one effect... the kicker would be that the deck could never have had selections because it is locked or glued into place... with all the cards left as they are revealed to further add mystery. Just not sure the best order to reveal three cards for maximum effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Basic effect - Order of revelation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL